love

Author Topic: #167: Sicko / Transformers / Top 5 'Fight the Power' Movies  (Read 8263 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: #167: Sicko / Transformers / Top 5 'Fight the Power' Movies
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 05:39:46 PM »
I have to say that for me the highlight of the show was Greg's little sound bite before the Transformers review. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

I really hope that you go ahead and review Ratatoutille next week as I'm really interested on your thoughts on the film.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 10:17:17 PM »
I agree.  Greg's rant made me laugh.

Yet, that entire review of Transformers and the clip that was played revealed everything that was confirmed to me in why I was glad in not seeing the film.

And I never will.  The fact that Armageddon is better than this film is another fact that Bay still has much to learn. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Our_Man_In_Chicago

• Our Man In Chicago
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 10:32:22 AM »
The calendar changed after we recorded. Did you make it through the whole show? Any flaws of note?
No not really.  Not any technical flaws.  I think Scott really didn't make it clear whether he liked Sicko.  He sort of did what you did with Hot Fuzz.  He talked about all of the flaws and things that he didn't like but than said that he liked it a lot at the end of the review.  Maybe it was because you had a more passionate response.

That's a fair criticism.  I do say at the beginning and the end of that segment that I liked a lot of what was going on in the film, but I do spend most of the segment talking about what I didn't like, and offering counterpoints to Adam's commentary.  For me, it's hard to say I disliked a film that expands an audience's awareness of our health care system, and has so many great storytelling elements to it.  But it's also hard for me to say I flat-out liked it because there are errors in both fact and omission in what Moore presents, and those errors make it that much easier for many people to dismiss it outright.  I still think if Moore wants to indict the U.S. health care system, he's got plenty of material available without resorting to stunts like taking Ground Zero victims to Guantanamo or calling a couple that makes $8000 a month a "typical middle class" French family.   

So yeah, I probably just should have said the above in my initial comments.  But the review page lists it as a 3-star film for me, meaning neutral.  And that's about right.

Before someone else points it out, I apologize to Shia Laboeuf for Frenching up his name.

Thanks for the feedback.  Go Sox. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 10:59:42 AM by Adam »

Moviebuff28

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 11:21:19 AM »
The calendar changed after we recorded. Did you make it through the whole show? Any flaws of note?
No not really.  Not any technical flaws.  I think Scott really didn't make it clear whether he liked Sicko.  He sort of did what you did with Hot Fuzz.  He talked about all of the flaws and things that he didn't like but than said that he liked it a lot at the end of the review.  Maybe it was because you had a more passionate response.

That's a fair criticism.  I do say at the beginning and the end of that segment that I liked a lot of what was going on in the film, but I do spend most of the segment talking about what I didn't like, and offering counterpoints to Adam's commentary.  For me, it's hard to say I disliked a film that expands an audience's awareness of our health care system, and has so many great storytelling elements to it.  But it's also hard for me to say I flat-out liked it because there are errors in both fact and omission in what Moore presents, and those errors make it that much easier for many people to dismiss it outright.  I still think if Moore wants to indict the U.S. health care system, he's got plenty of material available without resorting to stunts like taking Ground Zero victims to Guantanamo or calling a couple that makes $8000 a month a "typical middle class" French family.   

So yeah, I probably just should have said the above in my initial comments.  But the review page lists it as a 2-star film for me, meaning neutral.  And that's about right.

Before someone else points it out, I apologize to Shia Leboeuf for Frenching up his name.

Thanks for the feedback.  Go Sox. 
You are a Sox fan so all is forgiven.  BTW you have done a great job on the shows you have been on.  I think Moore knew that he wasn't going to get into Guantanamo Bay but I think he was trying to make a point that the prisoners of Guantanamo Bay get better health care than the 9/11 rescue workers and average joes of the USA.  Also his films have always been like that.  One of the things I really love about his films though is that they are always entertaining and never just an educational lesson or really preachy.  Also it is really hard not to be moved by those scenes in Cuba.

Top 5 "Fight the Power" Movies (Honorary Great 70's Movies List aka One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown, and Network List):
5. Veronica Guerin - Joel Schumacher once again proves that he can make a great movie on a small budget.  Veronica Guerin tries to fight the power including the government, the police, and the drug lords so she can let the public know about how drugs have taken over Ireland.

4. Office Space - Good call Adam.

3. V for Vendetta - Yup you guys hated it but I thought this was one of the best films of 2006.

2. Pan's Labyrinth - Ofelia defies the powerful and evil Captain Vidal.

1. Three Kings - Almost everybody in this movie is fighting power whether it is the the four soldiers who go off to steal the gold and Kuwait, the TV reporter or an Iraqi soldier.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 10:10:09 AM by Moviebuff28 »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 11:28:31 AM »
Is Sal's famous an evil corporation? What's the oppressive force being fought... other than human prejudice and frailty?
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 11:38:15 AM »
Great show. Spot-On Transformers review!
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Moviebuff28

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »
Is Sal's famous an evil corporation? What's the oppressive force being fought... other than human prejudice and frailty?
No but I think the last 20 minutes of this movie make it qualify.  Also racial prejudice is what is being fought in To Kill a Mockingbird.  I agree it probably is more of a top 5 rebels movie but I think it just barely qualified.  Also did you consider Pan's Labyrinth?  I think it definitely qualifies.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
I think Pan's qualifies... but not for my list because, as I said, I used the specific corporations criterion. Yes, Mockingbird is dealing with similar themes as Do The Right Thing, but Mockingbird is specifically about one person fighting against injustice, against an oppressive system. There's no such clear cut force of evil in Do The Right Thing. I've never read Lee's intent as suggesting that Sal's famous actually should have been burned down.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

mweston

• My blog
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 07:48:24 PM »
I was disappointed that your list of new DVDs did not include After the Wedding, which would be my first choice this week. I wrote a small review here.

For fight the power movies, as I was listening I thought of Norma Rae, Metropolis, Logan's Run, and the documentary The Corporation.
- Mike "One's a Party, One's a Crowd" Weston

SquidBob

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 06:29:50 AM »
Wow, can't believe that Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" didn't make either Fight the Power list. Otherwise a great show; spot on with the Transformers comments.

love