Author Topic: Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix (Spoiler Edition)  (Read 2643 times)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix (Spoiler Edition)
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:50:19 PM »
Ok...

For those who want to know what was missing from the books to the film.  Here's some info.

It was Dolores Umbridge who sent the Dementors to Privet Drive, in an attempt to discredit Harry without Cornelius Fudge knowing.

Fred and George got the money to make their tricks is because of the Triwizard winnings Harry won in Triwizard tournament which he gave them, since he doesn't want it.

In the full contents of the prophecy as quoted:

The one with the power to vanquis the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies.

The reason the Death Eaters and Voldemort are wanting this is to hear the full contents in which, only half of it was heard by a Death Eater until he is kicked out by the barman, Dumbledore's brother Aberforth.

That's all I can tell you at the moment.  Here's my full review (that I completed last night with a lot of difficulty in not revealing the full contents of the plot):

http://www.epinions.com/content_390777441924

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 10:58:23 AM by thevoid99 »
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix (Spoiler Edition)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:38:16 PM »
I liked it a lot...although coming from me that means about a 4 out of 5 stars. It felt a bit rough in a lot of areas, in particular I though the plot was a bit too neat and the emotion of the film almost entirely nonexistent. The performances were better than ever although it was this film that made me realize that Radcliff doesn't do that great of a job at this point. In every scene he interacts with Evanna Lynch (who plays Luna Lovegood) I couldn't help but thing how horribly cheesy his acting was when compared to her performance. But overall I though the performances were extremely solid although I really wish Alan Rickman (who plays Severus Snape) was in it more. Overall I enjoyed it a lot and anticipate the last book which comes out this Saturday and the next movie.

Lugosi

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 02:35:32 PM »
Like Adam and Sam, I've always avoided these films in the past.  I've avoided the books too.  So I'm anticipating all the Potter fans saying "you just didn't like it because you didn't understand it".

What struck me most about the film was that it doesn't seem to add anything to the series.  When we compare the situation at the beginning of the film with the situation at the end, nothing has changed other than the death of one character.  I'm told that the book actually advances the overall plot of the series, but the film clearly failed to do so.  This, at the risk of offending the Potterites, makes me feel that the film was redundant.

I don't really need to say anything about the acting, but I will anyway.  I disagree with the suggestion that Radcliffe has come into his own - he was absolutely awful in this one.  I really hope that it's not true that he was even worse in the previous movies.  There were some actors who are very good, but didn't have a chance to shine.  On the other hand, the really bad actors had plenty of opportunities to demonstrate their inability to deliver a line.

It's not all bad though.  The final fight between Dumbeldore and Voldermort was well worth watching.  Unfortunately, it wasn't good enough to justify the other two+ hours.  It wasn't enough to justify the entry price either, and I was glad that we pay monthly for unlimited movies.  I'm sorry, but I think the Potter fans have been brainwashed into thinking this was a good film.
"He was after my soul ... now you can get that out of any major orifice of a person's body - I read about it" - Elvis

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »
Alan Rickman, Imelda Staunton, and the fight scenes were the best part of this movie. I liked it as a whole, but those parts stood out to me. I think this is the second best movie, behind Azkaban.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Jordinho

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 02:54:42 AM »
Alan Rickman, Imelda Staunton, and the fight scenes were the best part of this movie. I liked it as a whole, but those parts stood out to me. I think this is the second best movie, behind Azkaban.

I agree.

I think this movie will fit better into the series once the next film comes out. It seems like it was at least the first half of two connected stories (I never read the books).

One thing I liked about this film is that it's themes seem to be influenced by specific 20th Century themes: appeasement of dictators (especially Chamberlain and Hitler) and Absolutist Communism.

The Ministry is unconcerned with claims of Voldemort's return and seem to deny it as much as they can rather than deal with the dire situation. Obviously this doesn't end well and they have to confront him when he's most powerful.

Then you have the authoritarian coup at the school which results in corporal punishments for light offenses, restrictions on personal freedom and a basic distaste for contact among students. Throughout the film hundreds of rules are nailed to a wall, each one a reaction to something the authorities gradually found they didn't like. One thing I noticed is that there is music playing from a boom box in the student quarters near the beginning of the film, then you never hear it again. This seems like a reference to attempts during the Cultural Revolution to stamp out expression that the Chinese government perceived as a threat. Last but not least is the the way in which the students choose to rebel against the new headmaster. They don't to try to kill or remove her, but instead fly in on broomsticks and shoot off colorful fireworks, something an authoritarian government would only permit if it were a show intended to glorify the state. As the fireworks ignite, the rules fall off the wall and shatter on the ground.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 03:08:10 AM by Jordinho »

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 10:40:42 AM »
I enjoyed this movie (4 out of 5 stars), but it's been a little while since I read the book, so I've probably forgotten the parts that were removed.  That is a big plot point that Umbridge sent the Dementors, as it makes her even more complicit in the Ministry discrediting Harry.

I rank this film 3rd behind Azkhaban and the Goblet of Fire, mainly because it felt rushed.  Yes, it's still longer than two hours, but it needed time to relax, and another 10-15 minutes would have made it even better.  We could have had more with Sirius (which would have made his death more powerful), and the end would have felt clearer.   Still, I enjoyed the movie as a whole.

To someone who read the books recently, is Bellatrix more involved in the book?  I remember her playing a larger role, but she's barely present here.  The scene of her leaving the prison is effective, but her role seems diminished (until the end.)
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob