Author Topic: Sunshine  (Read 8368 times)

Lynch

• Administrator
  • Been away a spell.
Re: Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 07:08:57 AM »
It's funny, I'm usually the first one to get jarred by plot holes in movies and they tend to take me right out of the enjoyment of a film. But with Sunshine I rode the wave all the way to the shore. 

I really enjoyed it from start to finish and think that for all it's faults it's a very intelligent sci-fi film that is really under appreciated right now but will stand up pretty well in the future.  DVD could really help this film build a cult fan base.

It has some issues but overall it's in my top 5 enjoyable movie experiences of the year.

Lugosi

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 08:18:01 PM »
Having watched (and loved) Sunshine when it came out in the UK earlier this year, I never thought I'd get a chance to see it on the big screen again.  Then last week I was in Canada for my brother-in-law's wedding, and Sunshine was showing.  I went to see the movie again, and it was amazing! 

(the wedding was cool too)
"He was after my soul ... now you can get that out of any major orifice of a person's body - I read about it" - Elvis

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 01:58:16 PM »
sunshine -

good for a while, but the last 30 minutes get a little ridiculous.
It's scifi, by definition, the whole thing is ridiculous.

I mean, How the hell do you not question a lot of the stuff that happens?  They can make a bomb that can rejuvenate the sun but they can't foresee oxygen problems or get to the sun quickly?  doesn't seem too logical.
I saw it about 6 months ago, so I don't remember totally, but isn't everyone mentally unstable by about halfway through?

Really just the guy that comes over from the 1st trip to the sun.  He's gone mental and for some reason wants to kill everyone, that didn't make much sense to me either.  Plus you never really get to see him, the camera is always shaky and going berserk when he's on screen which drew me out of the film.

I had a lot of problems with the continuity of technology in this future world.  The best way to have oxygen is to have a garden on the ship?  Really?  Some really poor performances, and some really big questions, made this film a pretty big disappointment. (even more-so the more i think about it)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 02:07:48 PM »
sunshine -

good for a while, but the last 30 minutes get a little ridiculous.
It's scifi, by definition, the whole thing is ridiculous.

I mean, How the hell do you not question a lot of the stuff that happens?  They can make a bomb that can rejuvenate the sun but they can't foresee oxygen problems or get to the sun quickly?  doesn't seem too logical.
I saw it about 6 months ago, so I don't remember totally, but isn't everyone mentally unstable by about halfway through?

Really just the guy that comes over from the 1st trip to the sun.  He's gone mental and for some reason wants to kill everyone, that didn't make much sense to me either.  Plus you never really get to see him, the camera is always shaky and going berserk when he's on screen which drew me out of the film.

I had a lot of problems with the continuity of technology in this future world.  The best way to have oxygen is to have a garden on the ship?  Really?  Some really poor performances, and some really big questions, made this film a pretty big disappointment. (even more-so the more i think about it)
Isn't computer boy all screwed up from messing up the trajectory. I'm pretty sure from that point on, everyone's on edge about their ability to survive. I can't really say anything to you disliking the shaky handheld perspective. It's one of those things: It isn't wrong, but neither is you having a preference against it.

Again, I can't respond to your personal dislike of the performances (without you giving more specific reasoning). As for the oxygen, it's as good as any solution I can think of in a sci fi film. Tanks would make even less sense. Realistically, seaborn microbiology would work best as it produces most of earth's oxygen (feel free to correct me if I'm remembering my facts wrong) and would take up less space. Regardless, I believe biologic oxygen factories would be the best solution of any kind. I don't think reservoirs or chemistry would really be more feasible. However, as this is fiction of the science brand, remember that the important aspect is fiction. Believability is too often a criticism in science fiction as you well know you could pick 5 films off the top of your head that have unbelievable aspects (even dramas).
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 02:23:56 PM »
What Face said.

The thing about the characters is that they were together for a very long time before we met them. They developed about as much as they were going to with each other. Then when Pinbacker comes in everything shifts and we see how the (surviving) crew reacts to a crazy guy trying to kill them.

There is also the question of Pinbacker's motivation. This is where the movie gets deep, I think. Pinbacker has turned into a religious zealot who is on a mission from God to stop anybody from re-igniting the sun. This isn't really explained to the audience, but it's there if you look for it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 03:27:23 PM »
Well, you don't get much clearer than the line "I spoke with God. He told me to send us all to hell!"
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.myspace.com/fightingpickletog
www.boothfilmcritics.org
http://dmbmovieboi.dvdaf.com/owned

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 03:28:12 PM »
Well, you don't get much clearer than the line "I spoke with God. He told me to send us all to hell!"
Indeed.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 03:55:56 PM »
True, but that's the only line. I suppose I'm used to things getting repeated a bunch of times in lesser movies.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »

I thought he said heaven.

Isn't computer boy all screwed up from messing up the trajectory. I'm pretty sure from that point on, everyone's on edge about their ability to survive. I can't really say anything to you disliking the shaky handheld perspective. It's one of those things: It isn't wrong, but neither is you having a preference against it.

Yes he's screwed up, be we hardly see him after the captain dies.  He's just gone, then he kills himself.  I would agree that everyone's on edge, but I don't think I go so far as to say they've gone mentally unstable.  Though I'm not sure if that even matters.

Anways, every performance but Cillian Murphy's I had some problems with.  Mostly they were just trying to make every line stick out and sound profound, but just sounded odd and out of place.  And while I agree that every film has an aspect of unbelieveability, they all create a situation were the viewer suspends his belief.  I didn't get that during the film.  I kept going "What?  The space ship can talk to them, but this is happening?"

I think the shaky camera can be a flaw and it was in this film.  If I cannot tell what's going on, on the screen then it's a problem.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 04:07:48 PM »
fiction of the science brand

Let's extrapolate!

story of the detective variety
thriller of the suspense type
cloister of the religious category
vessel of the seafaring breed
candle of a wax ilk
bear of a growling description
toy of a playable category
crayon of a crayola kidney  (Look it up; it's a fun secondary definition.)
definition of a secondary nature

love