love

Author Topic: Most ethical films  (Read 1935 times)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Most ethical films
« on: July 31, 2007, 01:45:12 PM »
So the phrasing is awkward, but I am trying to get at films that you think best get at what it means to live an ethical/moral life.  Write a bit about what it is about the film('s message) that resonates with you.

**This is in the spoiler thread**

Because I just watched this one the other day, and it blew me away - The Elephant Man.  I don't think I'm done processing this one yet, but the clear message that looking different - really, what is often labeled "disability" - should not dismiss someone from being treated with care, respect, and full consideration as a moral equal. 

I liked that the film equated the freak show and the medical establishment as essentially equivalent (though the film lets the medical establishment off the hook a bit more than is historically accurate, I believe) - all about economic/occupational stability/success.  Treves (Hopkins, in a brilliant performance) is shown questioning his intentions in getting involved with Merrick (Hurt, in a brilliant role) and thus performs for the audience the important act of reflecting on whether or not our decisions made actually reflect our ethical beliefs.  Importantly, the film also complicates this by bringing in testimony of The Other, Merrick in this case, to state how the actions of others were understood/felt by him - we must never forget that our actions impact others.

It is interesting that Mrs. Kendall (Bancroft, in a nice, small role) as the artist is the first to fully see Merrick as "not an elephant man at all" [crying as I write] - beautiful.  Is this Lynch suggesting that the arts tap into our humanity more than commerce or the sciences?  I think so.

And the ending - Merrick finally believes that he is a (normal) man - phenomenal

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: Most ethical films
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 03:56:14 PM »
Umberto D is a heartbreakingly beautiful story about loyalty and moral indifference.    Nobody is willing or able to support Umberto - the pensioners union, the hospital, friends, landlady.  Thankfully, his trusty dog Flike is always at his side.

Must see film:)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

love