Author Topic: Top 5 Movies About Memory  (Read 5869 times)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
Re: Top 5 Movies About Memory
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 12:14:20 PM »
1. Je t'aime, je t'aime
2. Last Year at Marienbad
3. Hiroshima mon amour

Now, there's a lot to criticize Alain Resnais about, but as far as these early films go (and more than likely La Guerre est finie and Muriel will be in line) these are the best films in the world about memory. I hope one day more people get to see Je t'aime, Je t'aime, but the 90% of the film is composed from a few sequences of memory that would have played at about 10 minutes when shown linearly.
Resnais is another of my gaping holes.  Both Pas Sur la Bouche and Private Fears in Public Places [this reminds me of the celebrity privacy thread:] just came through town and I missed them both, Pas one night only.  Maybe this is the umpteenth reminder I needed to commit...

Canyon sized hole.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 12:41:07 PM »
Anyone else think Memento is ridiculously overrated?
A$AP Fables

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »
Not ridiculously, no.  I was pretty blown away by it on my first viewing.  On subsequent viewings, though, I saw that movie-told-backward thing as more-or-less a gimmick.  Despite what AdamandSam say, I think it remains a gimmick.  A brilliant one, One that works, but still a gimmick.  So, I think it's slightly overrated because I still think it's an awesome movie, and for a first-time viewer, it's still mind-altering - not blowing, but altering.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 12:54:36 PM »
Not ridiculously, no.  I was pretty blown away by it on my first viewing.  On subsequent viewings, though, I saw that movie-told-backward thing as more-or-less a gimmick.  Despite what AdamandSam say, I think it remains a gimmick.  A brilliant one, One that works, but still a gimmick.  So, I think it's slightly overrated because I still think it's an awesome movie, and for a first-time viewer, it's still mind-altering - not blowing, but altering.

Interesting. I watched it very recently for the first time and it didn't have that effect on me at all.  I think my biggest problem with it was actually Guy Pearce's performance. Plus, I knew the twist was coming, so that could have been it as well.  Actually I didn't feel like it was a gimmick because the backwards device fits the story; it applies to the concept of memory and I wouldn't have told that story any other way. It just didn't have that "mind-altering" effect on me.
A$AP Fables

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 01:08:55 PM »
Actually I didn't feel like it was a gimmick because the backwards device fits the story; it applies to the concept of memory
No, don't get me wrong.  I think it fits the story perfectly also.  But I wouldn't go so far as to say the story can't be told any other way.  That was one way, and it was a brilliant way.  But to me, it's still gimmicky.  Like I said, a brilliant gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 01:59:48 PM »
I do.  I haven't watched since it was released, and I have been thinking of a fresh viewing, but I remember it as a gimmick-film more than anything.  I'll have to rewatch to have anything substantial to write...
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

samrod

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »
All lists above are all great!

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. Blade Runner
3. Mulholland Drive
4. After Life
5. Oldboy

Amateur, Dark City, The Straight Story,The Royal Tenenbaums

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 01:18:23 AM »

4. After Life

Really glad someone mentioned After Life.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 08:20:06 AM »
5. A Tale Of Two Sisters
4. A History Of Violence
3. Mulholland Drive
2. Wild Strawberries
1. Bourne Identity/Supremacy

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 02:41:32 PM »

Yup.

I much prefer the original, the Dana Carvey classic Clean Slate with Valeria Golino and a one-eyed dog.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

love