Author Topic: What should I watch? (2007-2010)  (Read 709774 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #550 on: April 08, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
Vera Drake nearly killed me.  It's a one-timer...great acting...so powerful, but OMG, don't make me watch it again.  I have never felt so powerless in all my life.
Texan Down Under

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #551 on: April 08, 2008, 05:41:29 PM »
Just checked. Netflix doesn't have Topsy-Turvy yet.   >:(

What would be the next best place to start?

Vera Drake is the only one I've seen and I can recommend it, though Life is Sweet and Naked seem to be highly rated as well.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #552 on: April 08, 2008, 05:49:30 PM »
Oh, yeah, I've been avoiding Vera Drake - it just seems like it will be too painful . . .

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #553 on: April 08, 2008, 11:13:10 PM »
Just checked. Netflix doesn't have Topsy-Turvy yet.   >:(

What would be the next best place to start?

Vera Drake is the only one I've seen and I can recommend it, though Life is Sweet and Naked seem to be highly rated as well.

Naked is a pretty good acting tour de force by David Thewlis, but there is a fairly graphic rape sequence in the first five or ten minutes of the film. Fair warning.
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #554 on: April 09, 2008, 03:51:34 AM »
So I started on A Night at the Opera, but was too tired to keep watching. I really like what I have seen so far (25 minutes or so), and there were a couple of good laughs, so I'll definitely watch the rest as soon as possible. It's my first Marx Brothers experience, and I didn't know at all what to expect, so it's good that you guys made me watch it.

And oneaprilday, it's such a shame that Netflix doesn't have Topsy-Turvy, I'm certain that you would love it. Could you maybe track it down somewhere else?

chris

« Reply #555 on: April 09, 2008, 06:19:21 AM »
I was intrigued by the interview with Mike Leigh also.  It appears that Topsy Turvy is OOP, but seems fairly easy to track down used copies of it (half.com, etc) if you want to go that route.

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #556 on: April 09, 2008, 08:55:07 AM »
It's my first Marx Brothers experience, and I didn't know at all what to expect, so it's good that you guys made me watch it.

Oh really. You didn't say that earlier. Seriously, the more Marx Bros you see, the happier you will be. Go for Duck Soup or Animal Crackers next.
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #557 on: April 09, 2008, 09:50:17 AM »
Seriously, the more Marx Bros you see, the happier you will be. Go for Duck Soup or Animal Crackers next.

You're so right!!

And oneaprilday, it's such a shame that Netflix doesn't have Topsy-Turvy, I'm certain that you would love it. Could you maybe track it down somewhere else?

I was intrigued by the interview with Mike Leigh also.  It appears that Topsy Turvy is OOP, but seems fairly easy to track down used copies of it (half.com, etc) if you want to go that route.

Thanks, Emiliana and chris, I think I will try to track it down.

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #558 on: April 09, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »
It's my first Marx Brothers experience, and I didn't know at all what to expect, so it's good that you guys made me watch it.

Oh really. You didn't say that earlier. Seriously, the more Marx Bros you see, the happier you will be. Go for Duck Soup or Animal Crackers next.

Thanks, I'll see what's available to me!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #559 on: April 09, 2008, 09:50:48 PM »
Two-for-One at Scarecrow and rented these:

Should I just go chronologically?

love