love

Author Topic: What should I watch? (2007-2010)  (Read 709587 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #4440 on: December 15, 2009, 12:22:15 AM »
OK Guys, I really need your help on this one. I have to write a 5-7 page paper about a sci-fi movie made after 1990. The paper is going to focus on hybridity, anthropomorphization, and allegories of the cinema.

Excluded Films: Johnny Mnemonic, Any Star Wars, Any Terminator, Any Matrix, Any Transformers, I Am Legend.

It would be excellent, but not essential, if it were a hybrid genre (For example: Westworld is Western/Sci-Fi) and it MUST have some form of hybrid figure (Robot who thinks he's human, robot who turns into human, human who turns into robot, cyborg, etc.). Language, animation, and obscurity don't matter, but I'd like to able to get my hands on it legally.

Any ideas?

eXistenZ

Yup, that topic sounds absolutely perfect for Existenz.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #4441 on: December 15, 2009, 02:15:37 AM »
Or Paprika

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #4442 on: December 15, 2009, 02:32:48 AM »
I'm also halfway through Kings & Queen on the instant netflix, and plan finish that and to get to Wendy & Lucy this afternoon and Far From Heaven and something else on the instant tonight:

The Intruder
The Baader Meinhoff Complex
Together
Three Monkeys
Nobody Knows
Goodbye Solo
Election
Oasis
Tulpan
I am anti-Wendy and Lucy and Goodbye Solo.  And Together would rank well behind Lilya 4-Ever for me, so far as Moodysson goes.  I'm most interested in your thoughts on Oasis, which I haven't seen; and I'll second the vote for Nobody Knows.

That's all besides the point, though.  The best film of the decade will ship is 1-2 business days for like $12.50, including shipping!

StarCarly, I'd love to read a paper on Bicentennial Man:)

pixote
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:34:22 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #4443 on: December 15, 2009, 02:57:28 AM »
Is that a quality DVD of Eureka?

I ended up watching My Winnipeg on the tivo (after Wendy & Lucy).  I think I made the right choice.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #4444 on: December 15, 2009, 03:06:41 AM »

It's not bad.  I'll try to grab some of the same screenshots that DVDBeaver has posted for the Artificial Eye and Artist Film releases.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #4445 on: December 15, 2009, 03:33:59 AM »
OK Guys, I really need your help on this one. I have to write a 5-7 page paper about a sci-fi movie made after 1990. The paper is going to focus on hybridity, anthropomorphization, and allegories of the cinema.

Excluded Films: Johnny Mnemonic, Any Star Wars, Any Terminator, Any Matrix, Any Transformers, I Am Legend.

It would be excellent, but not essential, if it were a hybrid genre (For example: Westworld is Western/Sci-Fi) and it MUST have some form of hybrid figure (Robot who thinks he's human, robot who turns into human, human who turns into robot, cyborg, etc.). Language, animation, and obscurity don't matter, but I'd like to able to get my hands on it legally.

Any ideas?

Star Trek: First Contact
Great stand-alone Sci-Fi movie – humanity vs. the collective vs. the hybrid

Edward Scissorhands
A fairytale take on the man-machine

Terminator 2
Real skin is used and the Terminator feels pain, I always thought coating a machine with an organ for the purpose of disguise is kinda neat - and creepy.

The Stepford Wives (Remake)
Here’s an interesting satire on gender roles and robots, the concept is great, the execution not so much.

A short film based on a Kurt Vonnegut. It’s a bizarre uptopian/distopian vision of the future where everyone is made equal. The beautiful have to wear masks and the ones who are above average intelligent have this ear piece that sends signals to dumb them down some. Crazy stuff.

These are the movies I can think of the top of my head that haven't been mentioned yet. I hope it helps.
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #4446 on: December 15, 2009, 07:28:34 AM »
It's not bad.  I'll try to grab some of the same screenshots that DVDBeaver has posted for the Artificial Eye and Artist Film releases.
Okay, it's pretty bad.  It's not widescreen anamorphic, and the image is pretty muddy...

Panorama [Taiwan]

Artificial Eye [UK]

Artist Film [Japan]

Panorama [Taiwan]

Artificial Eye [UK]

Artist Film [Japan]

Panorama [Taiwan]

Artificial Eye [UK]

Artist Film [Japan]

Panorama [Taiwan]

Artificial Eye [UK]

Artist Film [Japan]

Panorama [Taiwan]

Artificial Eye [UK]

Artist Film [Japan]

Panorama [Taiwan]

Artificial Eye [UK]

Artist Film [Japan]

Sigh.

pixote

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #4447 on: December 15, 2009, 09:39:20 AM »
Wow, those are some pretty big differences. Luckily my copy is a only slightly lossy version of the Artist Film version.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #4448 on: December 15, 2009, 09:42:30 AM »

Any ideas?

Star Trek: First Contact
Great stand-alone Sci-Fi movie – humanity vs. the collective vs. the hybrid

Damn good fun that movie. I second this suggestion.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #4449 on: December 15, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »
Looks like the Artist Film is the best version?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene