love

Author Topic: What should I watch? (2007-2010)  (Read 709401 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #5030 on: March 11, 2010, 10:03:14 AM »
Would it be wiser to start there, do you think, or catch up with Bourne first?

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #5031 on: March 11, 2010, 10:05:50 AM »

I don't think that matters much. Green Zone, notwithstanding obvious casting and stylistic similarities, is not a Bourne film, so I wouldn't worry about that.

It's kind of like wondering if one should see Shutter Island if they haven't seen The Departed or The Aviator.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #5032 on: March 11, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »

I don't think that matters much. Green Zone, notwithstanding obvious casting and stylistic similarities, is not a Bourne film, so I wouldn't worry about that.

It's kind of like wondering if one should see Shutter Island if they haven't seen The Departed or The Aviator.

Understood. Are these similarities enough to accuse Greengrass of making the same film and being completely unoriginal? Also, if I'm not a huge fan of action films, the Bourne ones are just so well made that it doesn't really matter all that much, right?

Also, the answer is always: "Yes, see The Departed before anything else." Or at least before anything that ranks lower on my Top 100.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #5033 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:50 AM »

Understood. Are these similarities enough to accuse Greengrass of making the same film and being completely unoriginal? Also, if I'm not a huge fan of action films, the Bourne ones are just so well made that it doesn't really matter all that much, right?

Also, the answer is always: "Yes, see The Departed before anything else." Or at least before anything that ranks lower on my Top 100.

Greengrass as unoriginal: remains to be seen. I'll be at the theatre tomorrow to see Green Zone. If I could suggest a film that has the same stylistic choices but tells a completely different story from Bourne, try Bloody Sunday.

Your opinion of the Bourne films: whatever, it's your opinion. Stop asking questions in the nature of 'is this opinion alright?' I don't know, it's your opinion, not mine.

The Departed: I mentioned The Departed and the other Scorsese films for comparative purposes. I've seen all of them. I was actually asking which one I should watch.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #5034 on: March 11, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »
I'm just asking if, compared to other action films, if the ones Greengrass has done are a noticeable cut above, mostly just in their construction and ability to create intense situations, similar recent releases. Specifically what he does that makes a Paul Greengrass action film a Paul Greengrass action film.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #5035 on: March 11, 2010, 10:23:05 AM »
I'm just asking if, compared to other action films, if the ones Greengrass has done are a noticeable cut above, mostly just in their construction and ability to create intense situations, similar recent releases. Specifically what he does that makes a Paul Greengrass action film a Paul Greengrass action film.

In a nutshell: He understands quick cuts and shakycam. Not many action directors, or other directors who venture into the action genre, do.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #5036 on: March 11, 2010, 01:04:22 PM »
you should still watch A Prophet instead.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5037 on: March 11, 2010, 01:39:30 PM »
Alice In Wonderland
Brooklyn's Finest
The Crazies
Cop Out
Shutter Island

(going to sneak out of work and see a film today) ;)
Hey, nice marmot!

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #5038 on: March 11, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
I haven't seen any of them, but based on Timothy Olyphant and the premise, The Crazies just has to be the best of that bunch.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #5039 on: March 11, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »
Pick a letter. G W or B

love