Author Topic: What should I watch? (2007-2010)  (Read 709543 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2007, 11:21:56 PM »
Well, I'm inclined to trust you both instead of the quote from the NYT on the DVD cover which says it is "a seriously scary freakout" - but if I stay awake tonight, I'm blaming you both.  :)

wombat

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2007, 11:40:39 PM »
You can't go wrong with The Host. I really enjoyed it.

Everything Is Illuminated is a bit awkward and doesn't really fulfill its potential, but its definitely worth watching. Especially for the performance of Eugene Hutz, who outdoes Sacha Baron Coen as his own unique Borat-like character. And as I said, the soundtrack is amazing backed by Gogol Bordello, a self-described gypsy punk band lead by frontman Hutz.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2007, 12:49:52 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation of EiI! I look forward to watching it - based on the reviews I've heard, I was expecting some awkwardness, but also nice moments.

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2007, 04:31:39 AM »
Oneaprilday, you sound a lot like me (I hope I don't sound too weird saing that). Everything is Illuminated, Coffee and Cigarettes and The Big Kahuna are all films I had at home recently. And you are very right to wonder why exactly you have The Big Kahuna - I turned it off and sent it back after about 20 minutes. It could have been interesting (3 men in a room together, different generations, different outlooks on life), but the characters were just not interesting enough to me, and I am not that much of a fan of Kevin Spacey and Danny DeVito.

I really enjoyed Everything is Illuminated, and parts of Coffee and Cigarettes are really great, too.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2007, 09:33:27 AM »
Oneaprilday, you sound a lot like me (I hope I don't sound too weird saing that). Everything is Illuminated, Coffee and Cigarettes and The Big Kahuna are all films I had at home recently. And you are very right to wonder why exactly you have The Big Kahuna - I turned it off and sent it back after about 20 minutes. It could have been interesting (3 men in a room together, different generations, different outlooks on life), but the characters were just not interesting enough to me, and I am not that much of a fan of Kevin Spacey and Danny DeVito.

I really enjoyed Everything is Illuminated, and parts of Coffee and Cigarettes are really great, too.

I'm a huge Kevin Spacey fan - not a popular position around these parts - but even I don't like The Big Kahuna.  It's not very interesting, so I'd save yourself a few hours and just send it back.  Catch it on cable some day when you're really bored.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2007, 11:43:40 AM »
Oneaprilday, you sound a lot like me (I hope I don't sound too weird saing that). Everything is Illuminated, Coffee and Cigarettes and The Big Kahuna are all films I had at home recently.

No, that doesn't sound weird  :) - it is odd though that those sort of random selections were in both our homes.

And you are very right to wonder why exactly you have The Big Kahuna - I turned it off and sent it back after about 20 minutes. It could have been interesting (3 men in a room together, different generations, different outlooks on life), but the characters were just not interesting enough to me, and I am not that much of a fan of Kevin Spacey and Danny DeVito.

I'm a huge Kevin Spacey fan - not a popular position around these parts - but even I don't like The Big Kahuna.  It's not very interesting, so I'd save yourself a few hours and just send it back.  Catch it on cable some day when you're really bored.

Hmmm, bummer about Big Kahuna - I do like Kevin Spacey and was kind of looking forward to a talkie movie. A favorite professor of my husband's from graduate school apparently raved about the film, and so I've discovered that's why it got into our queue. I think I'm going to have to watch it with my hubby for love of that prof . . .

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2007, 12:13:34 PM »
well, if you're looking for a talkie movie... give it a shot.  It's definitely a talkie movie.  All talk, all the time. 

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2007, 03:11:12 PM »
It's not anything like My Dinner with Andre, is it?

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2007, 03:20:50 PM »

I wouldn't know, sorry.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2007, 03:22:27 PM »

I wouldn't know, sorry.

Probably a good thing - I almost never fail to finish movies, and I just couldn't stick with My Dinner.

love