love

Author Topic: What should I watch? (2007-2010)  (Read 709622 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2008, 10:50:31 AM »
he cuts off a guys head in season 2 to go undercover, taking it seriously is just silly.  it's just fun to follow jack bauer around and see what he gets up to.

What Wilson said. You can't watch that and take it seriously. And everybody knows that Chloe could never exist in real life. Her scowl would tear the world apart.

I think what people take seriously isn't the show itself but the more-than-subliminal influence the show has had (and can have) on young members of the armed forces — specifically, the show's influence on their understanding of torture's effectiveness.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #291 on: January 21, 2008, 02:40:54 PM »
he cuts off a guys head in season 2 to go undercover, taking it seriously is just silly.  it's just fun to follow jack bauer around and see what he gets up to.

What Wilson said. You can't watch that and take it seriously. And everybody knows that Chloe could never exist in real life. Her scowl would tear the world apart.

I think what people take seriously isn't the show itself but the more-than-subliminal influence the show has had (and can have) on young members of the armed forces — specifically, the show's influence on their understanding of torture's effectiveness.

pixote

Well said.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #292 on: January 21, 2008, 02:57:24 PM »

pixote

Well said.

correctly affirmed
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2008, 02:58:17 PM »

pixote

Well said.

correctly affirmed

Yeah.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #294 on: January 24, 2008, 11:40:05 PM »
So I have Mr Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr., a documentary by Errol Morris saved on my DVR for about 3 weeks now.  Does anybody know if it worth watching?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:44:29 PM by ses593 »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #295 on: January 25, 2008, 03:14:56 AM »
So I have Mr Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr., a documentary by Errol Morris saved on my DVR for about 3 weeks now.  Does anybody know if it worth watching?

It's been a few years, but I think it's probably worth a look, yeah.  Leuchter presents an interesting subject, for sure, and any Morris film is going to have at least a few great moments.

That said, I don't remember quite loving the movie — but I can't recall what my reservations were.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

ryanwtyler

« Reply #296 on: January 25, 2008, 04:35:59 AM »
morris is another good marathon choice.  whats the name of his interviewing machine that makes it look like the subject is talking to the camera?

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #297 on: January 25, 2008, 08:21:48 AM »
morris is another good marathon choice.  whats the name of his interviewing machine that makes it look like the subject is talking to the camera?
The Interrotron

Morris "liked the name because it combined two important concepts — terror and interview."
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #298 on: January 25, 2008, 05:08:36 PM »

a) The High and the Mighty (William Wellman, 1954)
b) A Generation (Andrzej Wajda, 1955)
c) Winter Light (Ingmar Bergman, 1962)
d) The Two of Us (Claude Berri, 1967)
e) If.... (Lindsay Anderson, 1968)
f) Airport (George Seaton, 1970)
g) Miami Vice (Michael Mann, 2006)
h) Black Book (Paul Verhoeven, 2006)
i) Air Guitar Nation (Alexandra Lipsitz, 2007)

pixote

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #299 on: January 25, 2008, 05:11:46 PM »
I've only seen one of those (Miami Vice) but I can't really recommend it. Sdedalus loves it though...