Author Topic: What should I watch? (2007-2010)  (Read 709764 times)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #300 on: January 25, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »
I've only seen one of those (Miami Vice) but I can't really recommend it. Sdedalus loves it though...

That's also the only one I've seen, I also liked it.  I'll probably finish (restart, actually) Airport tonight.  I'm looking forward to Air Guitar Nation, though I fear it can't live up to the hype.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #301 on: January 25, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
I haven't seen any of those - I'd be most curious about If . . . though, given the reference to Lindsay Anderson on the show today.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #302 on: January 25, 2008, 05:36:47 PM »
I've only seen one of those (Miami Vice) but I can't really recommend it. Sdedalus loves it though...

Yeah, there's sdedalus, who has it as his number one American film of 2006, then there's my friend who said that, even fast-forwarding, he couldn't make it through to the end.  I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #303 on: January 26, 2008, 01:37:19 AM »
Miami Vice is great.  The theatrical cut's better than the director's cut though.  But both are good.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #304 on: January 26, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »

Yeah, there's sdedalus, who has it as his number one American film of 2006, then there's my friend who said that, even fast-forwarding, he couldn't make it through to the end.  I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.

pixote

it seems that both of those statements are true, right?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #305 on: January 26, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »

I don't think so, no — neither objectively (I believe my friend was exaggerating), nor as they subjectively project onto me (which was the lens of my suspicion).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #306 on: January 26, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »

I don't think so, no — neither objectively (I believe my friend was exaggerating), nor as they subjectively project onto me (which was the lens of my suspicion).

pixote

so sd does not have it as his #1 and your friend didn't say what you wrote he said?  that aside, what did you think about it?

DennisLu

• She was in another California.
    • TheDailyComics.com
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2008, 05:25:17 PM »
Local theatre is having a Hitchcock festival, this weekend they're showing:

Young And Innocent.
The Lady Vanishes.

Any Hitchcock fans knows which I should go with?
"Yes, of course, I have," Teddy said. "But that's only because they have names and emotions for everything that happens."

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #308 on: January 27, 2008, 01:32:20 AM »
Lady Vanishes for sure.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #309 on: January 27, 2008, 01:32:50 AM »
Lady Vanishes for sure.

It's on TCM as we speak.

pixote