love

Author Topic: What should I watch? (2007-2010)  (Read 709455 times)

chesterfilms

• Godfather
Re: What should I watch?
« Reply #310 on: January 27, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
The Lady Vanishes
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

DennisLu

• She was in another California.
    • TheDailyComics.com
« Reply #311 on: January 28, 2008, 09:06:09 PM »
Turns out it was a double feature so I watched both.
I definitely liked The Lady Vanishes better, but that could do with me not understanding a bulk of the Young and Innocent dialogue due to accents.
"Yes, of course, I have," Teddy said. "But that's only because they have names and emotions for everything that happens."

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #312 on: January 29, 2008, 12:55:37 AM »
The Profound Desire of the Gods - whose seen it?  Wondering if I should go to it tomorrow night?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #313 on: January 29, 2008, 01:00:36 AM »
The Profound Desire of the Gods - whose seen it?  Wondering if I should go to it tomorrow night?

I have not seen it, but based on Black Rain and The Ballad of Narayama, I would never pass up the chance to see a Shohei Imamura film, especially if it's in 35mm.

(Note: That's not to be with Ridley Scott's Black Rain, though I'm sort of a fan of that film as well, at least for the art direction and the performance of Ken Takakura.)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #314 on: January 29, 2008, 01:11:38 AM »

I have not seen it, but based on Black Rain and The Ballad of Narayama, I would never pass up the chance to see a Shohei Imamura film, especially if it's in 35mm.

(Note: That's not to be with Ridley Scott's Black Rain, though I'm sort of a fan of that film as well, at least for the art direction and the performance of Ken Takakura.)

pixote

Thanks for the pant-kick, I've already passed up several chances, but the series runs another month+, so many more opportunities.  Let me know if there is anything specific I should not miss (though I've already missed The Insect Woman and Vengeance is Mine, both of which I really wanted to see.)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #315 on: January 29, 2008, 01:20:25 AM »
It's not until March, but you should see Shriley Clarke's The Connection and then lord it over me.  (I've never seen it, but have long meant to.)

You've piqued my interest here.  I'm going to move Dr. Akagi and Warm Water under a Red Bridge to the top of my queue.  I'll try to post reviews before the Siskel screenings.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #316 on: February 01, 2008, 03:18:06 AM »
Waiting for me when I get home tonight:

Magnolia
After the Wedding
The Postman always rings twice

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #317 on: February 01, 2008, 09:34:58 AM »
Magnolia. 100%
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #318 on: February 01, 2008, 11:46:44 AM »
It's not until March, but you should see Shriley Clarke's The Connection and then lord it over me.  (I've never seen it, but have long meant to.)

You've piqued my interest here.  I'm going to move Dr. Akagi and Warm Water under a Red Bridge to the top of my queue.  I'll try to post reviews before the Siskel screenings.

pixote

I've meant to get to more of the Rosenbaum series, I only saw him introduce one (A Man Escaped) and he added nothing of interest about the film or its context - really disappointed me.  For some reason I don't have much pull from The Connection - sell me :)  I've had a dvd-copy of it sitting around for a few months and still haven't gotten around to it.  I thought her Portrait of Jason was interesting and messed up.

Hopefully I'll get to a couple of the Imamuras.  Too often there are far too many cinema options in this town (prolly gives that other town a run for the money).

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2008, 11:55:38 AM »
For some reason I don't have much pull from The Connection - sell me :)

Unfortunately the only thing I really know about it is that it's been on my list on things to see for a long time.  So the only selling point I can really offer is this:  How many other films in the series were directed by a woman?

pixote