Author Topic: School Days  (Read 83568 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: School Days
« Reply #1150 on: April 14, 2016, 12:44:34 PM »
I'll be writing a Masters' thesis about Bergman movies and horror. Initial plans are to write about Fanny and Alexander (obviously), The Seventh Seal, and probably Hour of the Wolf. I'm so excited. If any of you have any thoughts on this, please let me know. Nothing is stupid. Maybe other movies I haven't thought about yet? Or books about Bergman I could look at over the summer? I'm so excited!

Some others you may want to check out, they incorporate horror elements to varying degrees:

The Serpent's Egg
The Rite
Face to Face
The Passion of Anna
Persona
The Virgin Spring

As genre films, these are all stretching the definition of "horror". But I think you may find them useful. (it might be worth noting that Last House on the Left is essentially a remake of Virgin Spring)

Bergman's own books The Magic Lantern and Images are good resources.

Also check out Sjostrom's The Phantom Carriage, which was quite influential on Bergman.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1151 on: April 14, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »
Fantastic that's exactly what I was looking for. My advisor and I talked about The Virgin Spring and Persona as well, I think I'll be watching and rewatching these over summer. I've got The Magic Lantern, too. I'll check out those other books for sure. Thanks!
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1152 on: April 14, 2016, 10:00:33 PM »
I'll be writing a Masters' thesis about Bergman movies and horror. Initial plans are to write about Fanny and Alexander (obviously), The Seventh Seal, and probably Hour of the Wolf. I'm so excited. If any of you have any thoughts on this, please let me know. Nothing is stupid. Maybe other movies I haven't thought about yet? Or books about Bergman I could look at over the summer? I'm so excited!
Awesome, Junior!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1153 on: April 14, 2016, 10:11:21 PM »
It should be a lot of fun. I'm also taking a horror film class with my adviser over the summer, which I'll be sure to report about here. She's as big a horror nerd as I am, and she's got a bunch of academic articles to supplement the movies, which I'm super excited about. Gah! I can't wait.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!