Author Topic: School Days  (Read 83573 times)

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
Re: School Days
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 06:05:56 PM »
Hey Victoria.  Are you a fast reader?  With all those reading-intensive classes, I assume you'd have to be.

As I said, I'm thinking about going back for an English or Journalism degree, but I found out I'm kind of a slow reader.  Not that I don't like reading.  In fact, I like to relish it.  (That's my excuse anyway.)

I'm a pretty fast reader, but as I said, I don't usually get to all of my reading anyway... I've learned (since becoming an English major), that it's all about selective reading. 

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 06:51:21 PM »
Hey Victoria.  Are you a fast reader?  With all those reading-intensive classes, I assume you'd have to be.

As I said, I'm thinking about going back for an English or Journalism degree, but I found out I'm kind of a slow reader.  Not that I don't like reading.  In fact, I like to relish it.  (That's my excuse anyway.)

I'm a pretty fast reader, but as I said, I don't usually get to all of my reading anyway... I've learned (since becoming an English major), that it's all about selective reading. 

Selective reading, or gutting, still doesn't work for me.  Details are what I work off of so when I go for the big picture it messes with the way I make sense (or it isn't satisfying in the same/right way).  And I am a slooooow reader - give me some dense theory and I clip at 5pp/hr  :P
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 03:02:05 AM »
What school/college/university do you attend?
RMIT University

What year are you?
2nd year of my (second) 3 year undergrad (and I only have two weeks worth of classes left of my 2nd year it's crunch time scary!)

What's your major?
Printmaking

What classes do you have this semester?
Printmaking: Articulation and Practice
Printmaking: Project 2B
Theory: Lens and Screen
Elective: Fine Art Project 2 (this is my Media Arts/Animation class)

What's your favorite class? least favorite?
All my classes are fairly open, so I love them all.  Although I'd have to say theory is my least favourite, just because, well, it's theory.  I don't get to make stuff and it can be a bit pretentious.

What's the best spot to hang out on campus?
The printmaking studios.
My campus is actually right in the heart of Melbourne, so it's not like your regular university campus.

What percentage of work assigned to you do you actually get done?
I get all my work done, but at this point in the degree we really set our own workloads.  There isn't a set amount of work to finish, and it's a bit like "choose your own adventure" in regards to the outcome.  You just need to have created a suitable body of resolved work based on your proposal in around 13 weeks.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 03:09:21 AM by crumpet »

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 03:24:26 AM »
"a suitable body of resolved work based on your proposal"

ahhh...academia, how sweet your vowel and consonant arrangements!
Texan Down Under

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 05:35:10 PM »
"a suitable body of resolved work based on your proposal"

ahhh...academia, how sweet your vowel and consonant arrangements!

:)

For anybody interested, I posted yesterday about some of my current school work here.  That was after I'd forced myself to watch Funny Games, Peeping Tom and A Clockwork Orange for the first time, all in a row, so that I can write my 2000 word essay on spectacle in the cinema for my theory class next week.  At the same time that I'm shooting my stop-motion animation, which I need to accomplish in something like two days.  Eek!

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 06:25:12 PM »
See I'm on the opposite side of this conversation... I had an epiphany last week that I don't want to be a professor at a major research university! Egads! I may still want to teach at a smaller school, but I'm going to explore life outside academia (or at least that is my plan). The problem with this is that I've shaped everything I've done over the last 10 years on becoming a prof. including where I chose to do my postdoctoral work. Now I'm looking for a job and worried about life outside the university world.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 06:54:46 PM »
See I'm on the opposite side of this conversation... I had an epiphany last week that I don't want to be a professor at a major research university! Egads! I may still want to teach at a smaller school, but I'm going to explore life outside academia (or at least that is my plan). The problem with this is that I've shaped everything I've done over the last 10 years on becoming a prof. including where I chose to do my postdoctoral work. Now I'm looking for a job and worried about life outside the university world.

Lise, good luck!

We are very much on the same page.  My experience working on a research grant the last two years made it abundantly clear that I don't want to work R1, I'm otherwise not quite clear what is ruled out...

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 07:46:01 PM »
The last two years (aka my postdoc) seriously disillusioned me in regards to working in a r1. The way the funding system is right now is scary, my brother just submitted his tenure package and he is worried b/c he doesn't know if he brought in enough money. I don't want to be a grant writer with a side in teaching and research. It doesn't help that the project I'm on has not really worked. I may just need a few years off of heavy research (and the pettiness in my field. Who would have guessed biophysics would be sooo cut throat?). I won't be able to go back easily, but since I'm not looking to end up at a big school anyways I don't see this as a problem.

Good luck in figuring out where your path is leading...
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 08:07:07 PM »
Thanks.

Also my take on R1.  I just erased a big rant on the grant process - damn I hated that experience!

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
    • ssmvc
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 09:43:26 AM »
What school/college/university do you attend?
University of North Texas
What year are you?
This is my first semester here but I'm apparently a sophomore already.
What's your major?
I plan to double major in English and Film. My two loves.
What classes do you have this semester?
Enviromental Science, Art Appreciation, Communication, Health Psychology.
All boring classes that I have to take to get done with the core.
What's your favorite class? least favorite?
Probably communication since we watch Colbert Report clips sometimes. Otherwise, it's dreadful.
What's the best spot to hang out on campus?
I don't live on campus buuuuuuuuuut I have spent an inordinate time in the library.
What percentage of work assigned to you do you actually get done?
I've tried to do all of it. I only read right before tests though.