love

Author Topic: School Days  (Read 150309 times)

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
School Days
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:08:02 AM »
OK, so there's a post-whoring thread, a self-whoring thread, Questions and Answers thread... why not a thread specifically for all of us who are in school.  Have a paper you don't want to write?  Wanna tak about your classes?  How about sharing just how awful (or great) your cafeteria is?  Come on peeps.  I wanna know...

Share that school spirit?  Or, just procrastinate like me! :)

VmSoze

• Elite Member
Re: School Days
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:10:34 AM »
Let's start with a little survey...

What school/college/university do you attend?
What year are you?
What's your major?
What classes do you have this semester?
What's your favorite class? least favorite?
What's the best spot to hang out on campus?
What percentage of work assigned to you do you actually get done?

:)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:10:39 PM »
quote author=VmSoze

Let's start with a little survey...

University of Illinois at Chicago but am doing coursework this quarter(/year?) at University of Chicago

[I burnt out on my previous topic "John Dewey's representations of The Body:  Implications for his Theories of Democracy and Education"; also, I just came off a two-year Research Apprenticeship that really made me want to turn away from academics and the people I had been working with, so I took last summer off (no work, no school, just movies) and decided I'd try to redirect my studies to something I love - the movies.  UIC just lost their only full-time Film Studies faculty (Virginia Wexman) so I'm hooking up with UofC to get my fix.]

What year are you?

3rd year PhD

What's your major?

Curriculum Studies 

Methods and Issues in Cinema Studies with Ton Gunning and Feminist Theory and Counter-Cinema with Jennifer Wild

Feminist Theory rocks, but Gunning's class isn't far behind.

This campus is amazing, my favorite place is obviously Doc Films, but the screening room we use for both of my classes also has a great feel (most of the stuff we watch is actually on film, I'm looking forward to seeing Jeanne Dielman again, but on celluloid this time!); I do great work in their main library - the Reg(enstein), there is loads of green space with trees and movable benches (this might sound kinda funny, but I haven't attended a school yet with such a lovely campus), and there is a dank and funky campus pub in the basement of the same building that has the movie theatre.

So far this year, 100%, dipping my toes into recommended readings.  It usually drops as I get deeper in and settle on paper topics. 

Soze, how about you?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 12:24:19 PM »
are you implying that I should answer my own survey!  What a novel idea... sorry 'bout that, I spaced on that.

New Jersey City University... say that three times fast, I dare you!

What year are you?
That's tricky.  As a transfer student I have enough credits to have graduated, but I changed majors (many times) so I'm technically a senior.

What's your major?
English-Writing

British Lit 2
Study of Literature (It's an introductory course that I managed to ignore needing until now)
Stories of Immigration
Writing Popular Criticism
Playwriting Workshop

Favorite - Stories of Immigration (my advisor teaches it, and she's really an amazing professor)
Least Favorite - Study of Literature (It's a survey course and it's boring...)

The computer lab from which I am writing this... it's a small campus so other than the lab and the caf. there really isn't anyplace to hang out.

it's low.  I usually do 100% of the papers (or anything else that needs to be turned in), and about 40% of the reading.  That's really bad.  I'm trying to be better this semester, without much luck.  I've just been to busy.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 01:20:42 PM »
This is so sad.

Dallas County Community College District Westfield Campus.  GoooooOOOOO.......WHATEVERS!

What year are you?
Non-degree seeking, post-baccalaureate, old guy that's the same age as his teacher.  (sigh)

What's your major?
Not applicable

American Literature, through the 1800s.  My God is it ever dry.  Mojave Desert dry.

Seeing as how it's my only class, I'll say American Literature for both.

The two-story common atrium in building C.  They've got Wi-Fi and a Subway.  I can check the Filmspotting Message Boards while eating a 6" sub.  Does life get any better?  I think not.

All of it.  Seeing as how it's my only class and its easier than my high school AP British Lit class, that's not saying much.

Back atcha.   :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 01:22:42 PM by alexarch »

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 01:24:54 PM »
This is so sad.

The two-story common atrium in building C.  They've got Wi-Fi and a Subway.  I can check the Filmspotting Message Boards while eating a 6" sub.  Does life get any better?  I think not.

Back atcha.   :)

1. That's not sad, it's awesome (don't tell anyone I said this - 'cause I'll deny it til I die! - YOU're awesome:) )

2. no, I don't think life does get any better.  The genius who planned this campus thought it would be smart to have all the hot-spots be outdoors - great in the snow/rain/summer heat, doofus! So the computer lab is the only place I can use the internet and there's no food allowed.  I'm jealous.

3. ditto on the "Back atcha" ;)

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 01:28:25 PM »
Oh and thanks for reminding me, Alex...

What's your school's mascot?

NJCU is the home of the Gothic Knights, but I'm not all together sure we actually play any sports here... ???

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Turns out, I'm a Harvester.  And it was Eastfield, not Westfield.

Oh, and thank you.  You're not so bad yourself.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 02:10:07 PM »
As the resident "awesome person", here are my answers.

The University of Connecticut. UConn. Storrs campus.

What year are you?

This is my second year here, but I apparantly got enough credits in HS so that next semester I will be a junior. Fitting.

What's your major?

Not engineering.

History 101, Econ 112(Micro), Comm 100, Anthropology 100, Stat.

My history lecture is awesome because my teacher was a college student in the 60's so he is pretty cool. My history discussion, on the other hand, sucks. The TA is old and boring and can't finish a sentence with a running time under five minutes. That is the longest hour.

I really like the fourth floor in the library because it's so quiet. It's an excellent place to sit and read.

I do all the assignments, I just don't do most of the readings.

Also, we have a nationally renowned sports program. Our basketball teams rock (especially the girls) and our football team is getting better and better. And apparently our soccer team is 4th in the country or something. But nobody likes soccer.

Also also, we have the best ice cream. Ever. Period.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 02:22:11 PM »
your favorite place to hang out is the LIBRARY, and you insist you're the resident "awesome person"?  interesting...

love