Author Topic: School Days  (Read 150262 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: School Days
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 03:06:32 PM »
What school/college/university do you attend?
The London Film School

What year are you?
Third Term of my first year.

What's your major?
Film making, but I'm focusing all my energy on cinematography

What classes do you have this semester?
All sorts - Documentary pitching, Documentary Analysis, Hitchcock, Editing and Sound, Cinematography Theory and Practicals, Gaffing, Rushes, Screenwriting Workshop and a few others.

What's your favorite class? least favorite?
Fave Class is anything camera or lighting related.

Least Fave?  Anything that I show up to that is a waste of time, but I don't hate any of my classes this term.  Anything Producing related I can't abide.

What's the best spot to hang out on campus?
The Coffee bar or 3 blocks away at the Two Brewers.

What percentage of work assigned to you do you actually get done?
All of it accept the readings.  I do my own reading and research independent of the classes so I skip the handouts and do the practical work.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 04:49:52 PM »
Hey Victoria.  Are you a fast reader?  With all those reading-intensive classes, I assume you'd have to be.

As I said, I'm thinking about going back for an English or Journalism degree, but I found out I'm kind of a slow reader.  Not that I don't like reading.  In fact, I like to relish it.  (That's my excuse anyway.)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 05:09:42 PM »
Hey Victoria.  Are you a fast reader?  With all those reading-intensive classes, I assume you'd have to be.

As I said, I'm thinking about going back for an English or Journalism degree, but I found out I'm kind of a slow reader.  Not that I don't like reading.  In fact, I like to relish it.  (That's my excuse anyway.)
I was a slow reader all through my BA and it worked out fine. My partner is a slower reader than me and she's surviving as an English Ph.D. candidate. As long as you know how long it will take you to get everything done, you'll be fine.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 06:42:49 PM »

This campus is amazing, my favorite place is obviously Doc Films, but the screening room we use for both of my classes also has a great feel (most of the stuff we watch is actually on film, I'm looking forward to seeing Jeanne Dielman again, but on celluloid this time!); I do great work in their main library - the Reg(enstein), there is loads of green space with trees and movable benches (this might sound kinda funny, but I haven't attended a school yet with such a lovely campus), and there is a dank and funky campus pub in the basement of the same building that has the movie theatre.

Yep, that's that same place I take my dance classes. Of course I totally skipped out last night to get drunk on dirty martinis. I had testing stress to burn off.

I was a slow reader when I started graduate school, but after a few years of non-stop reading, I was quick. It gets easier.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 06:51:02 PM »
your favorite place to hang out is the LIBRARY, and you insist you're the resident "awesome person"?  interesting...

We also have a cafe and a book store in our library. And it has a great view. So awesomeness remains.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

JoshuaOst

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 09:03:24 PM »
Harborfields High School

What year are you?
Senior

What's your major?
No major in high school although when I get out I hope to major in film production.

AP Literature, AP Chemistry, AP Government, Pre-Calc, Studio Art, Journalism

Favorite class is Literature even though the teacher sucks.  Least favorite is AP Gov because the teacher's  batshit insane.

Cafeteria

75%.  I'm a decent student.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 09:11:39 PM »
I'm a senior too. Where you applying JoshOst?
A$AP Fables

JoshuaOst

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 09:32:09 PM »
NYU, Purchase, Emerson, FSU, BU, Ithaca.  I have to apply to some other SUNY schools because my guidance counselor reccommended it to me.  If I can get into Purchase I will be happy.  It's a state school so it's cheap and it's got a great film program.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 09:34:05 PM »
Man I wish there were some good film schools here in Ohio. I'm definitely applying to USC, NYU, Florida State, University of Texas, and Chapman. I kinda need a backup option though...
A$AP Fables

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 12:06:08 AM »
Cleveland State University

What year are you?
Credit wise I'm a Junior

What's your major?
Film and Digital Media

Single Source Production, Communication Media somethingorother, Film Theory, Screenwriting

Theory, the communication somethingorother

don't really spend a lot of time on campus

not all the reading, but anything else I gotta get done.

Man I wish there were some good film schools here in Ohio. I'm definitely applying to USC, NYU, Florida State, University of Texas, and Chapman. I kinda need a backup option though...

I'm not saying that CSU is as great as NYU or whatever, but my Theory professor is great.  He is a true film scholar.  He teaches the upper echelon production classes also, but I think it's dependent on your professor.  Now some of my classes have really sucked, but I think the film professors here really know their stuff, and CSU's got some good equipment.

I wasn't really concerned with how well established the film program was when I was applying to schools.  I ended up picking a school for different reasons any way.

Save your cash for Grad school.

love