love

Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712610 times)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: 1990s US Bracket commentary
« Reply #1390 on: September 13, 2008, 11:27:19 PM »
So much intelligence, mixed with so much evil. If only I had been here to stop some of it.

FACE!!!  how are you?  i missed you so :)
Now there would be a long story.

how are you?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #1391 on: September 13, 2008, 11:27:50 PM »
So much intelligence, mixed with so much evil. If only I had been here to stop some of it.

FACE!!!  how are you?  i missed you so :)
Now there would be a long story.

how are you?
Eh..
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #1392 on: September 13, 2008, 11:36:34 PM »

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #1394 on: September 13, 2008, 11:49:48 PM »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #1396 on: September 14, 2008, 01:50:16 AM »
Wait. There's a film about Bobby Fisher and I've never heard of it!

What rock have I been under?

It's not really about him.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #1397 on: September 14, 2008, 09:10:05 AM »
I haven't seen either, so I'll just pretend  :)
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

secondcitywolverine

• It Stinks!
    • Dad's Secret Stash
« Reply #1398 on: September 14, 2008, 09:39:31 AM »
I don't recall really loving either one. I also haven't seen either a second time since they were first released. For some reason Ben Kingsley stands out as doing a good job in Bobby Fischer.

Valentine McKee

• Nobody does it better
    • My music vid
« Reply #1399 on: September 14, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »
The Virgin Suicides vs Jesus' Son

Could I get over it? I was right there at the start with Lost in Translation. I didn't wait for no "fashionable backlash" to kick in. No. I did not like that film.

But from early on in The Virgin Suicides, I knew I didn't have to worry. Much. Coppola chose fine source material for her first film, for which she also wrote the screenplay, and straight away I'm giving a shout out to the music, which isn't just there to play under the scenes, but which is a vital part of them and the film as a whole.

Not wishing to give more away than the title suggests, the film follows the last summer of the five Lisbon sisters, driven to such a drastic action by their over protective parents, and the boys who live next door, who adore the girls and are trying to piece together the mystery from 20 years down the line. The phoning each other scene and the burning of the albums are two highlights.
Overall though, a fairly lightweight effort. Sure it's sad, but put me in front of a film about someone terminal and I'll be crying at the end - that doesn't mean the film's said anything. So it's average. Not great, not terrible, just....there.

Shall we start with the soundtrack for Jesus' Son? Why not, it's just as good as TVS, only it has the added bonus of being set in the early 70s, yeah I know I shouldn't have favorite's like that, but it's a film guys. The early 70s was full of music made for films, right?!
That given, Jesus' Son is a meandering film, and I mean that in a good way. I'm sure there are drug films out there that fall into the stereotype of being preachy and depressing, but I can't think of any off the top of my head, and JS certainly isn't one. Following Billy Crudup, the film drifts between his encounters with various peoples, ranging from Dennis Hopper and Holly Hunter to Jack Black and some rabbits. Outstanding as always though is Samantha Morton, as FH's (I don't want to spoil his full name) girlfriend.
Based on a collection of short stories, the film has a bit of a vignette structure, but you can only think that's what life feels like for FH, both before and during his addiction.

All said, I'm going with The Virgin Suicides.
I don't know if it's intentional that two films based on books were throw together, and I should mention I have read neither, but TVS strikes me as having the better source material and being more of a complete film.
Needless to say, I don't think either of these will make it too far in the contest, but we're at the point where we have to leave behind some fine films. Check out both if you can.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:05:08 PM by pixote »
The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river.

love