Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712377 times)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #2790 on: March 12, 2009, 05:30:33 PM »
I think my new avatar says it all.......

Filmspot 2009 for Best Avatar

I dunno if it beats his last one.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2791 on: March 12, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »

When it goes up against a worse film it will die, it couldn't helped being pitted against a crappy film this round.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #2792 on: March 12, 2009, 06:37:12 PM »
pixote is good but roujin is the best.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #2793 on: March 12, 2009, 08:08:29 PM »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2794 on: March 12, 2009, 08:10:07 PM »
Kids:

The movie, in part, focuses on two teenage guys (Telly & Casper) whose lives seem to revolve around sex and drugs. Their behaviour ranges from despicable to disgusting to downright criminal. The other part of the movie is focused on a teenage girl (Jennie) who isn't nearly so depraved, but is effected by those who are. Particularly Telly (who has AIDS).

Before I go any further in this review I feel it's necessary to make clear just how monotonous Kids is. I'll break the movie down scene by scene:
-Telly tricks a virgin into sleeping with him
-Telly and Capser talking about their sexual exploits
-Casper pisses on a wall in broad daylight
-Telly and Capser steal from a store
-Telly, Casper and friends get high and talk about their sexual exploits
-Jenny and friends talk about sexual exploits
-Jenny tests HIV positive (she's just another virgin Telly has slept with)
-Casper stares at Telly's mom's breasts while she breast feeds
-Telly steals money from his mom's sock drawer.
-Telly and Casper buy some drugs
-Jennie goes looking for Telly
-Telly, Casper and friends get high and beat some random guy half dead.
-Telly, Casper and friends go swimming.
-Jennie gets stoned (no, not in the Old Testament kind of way)
-Telly, Casper and friends party and get drunk and stoned.
-Telly tricks another virgin (Darcy) into sleeping with him, Jennie arrives, watches, and does nothing.
-Casper rapes Jennie who is passed out from the drugs.
The end

It's a highlight reel of teenage debauchery loosely tied together with a simple plot.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #2795 on: March 12, 2009, 08:14:33 PM »

yeah, even though starCar says she would have put it through, i still feel icky.  love the avatar.  not smirnoff's reductive poo :P
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2796 on: March 12, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »
not smirnoff's reductive poo :P

It's simply meant to demonstrates my point. Yeah, I'm stripping away the details, but Kids at it's heart is a one-note song.

Don't worry, there's more to come. I'll elaborate.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:18:57 PM by smirnoff »

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #2797 on: March 12, 2009, 08:18:41 PM »
To start off my feelings on Kids, here's my response to Edgars third-round review:

I'm not especially anxious to catch Kids based on your review, but I don't doubt its merit.

Well let me tell you, I'm about to start doubting.

This is not a fun movie, and I got absolutely no enjoyment out of watching it. And I'm not even sure if that's a criticism, it's that kind of movie. But here's my problem. There are other films I've seen that are similarly difficult to watch, but manage to convince me the effort was worthwhile by the end. This isn't the case with Kids. Sure, it may be relevant because the immorality and lifestyles it depicts are based in reality, but I didn't need to see this movie to know that. And the movie just doesn't have anything else to add, it's content to revel in its own deplorability.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2798 on: March 12, 2009, 08:23:05 PM »
To start off my feelings on Kids, here's my response to Edgars third-round review:

I'm not especially anxious to catch Kids based on your review, but I don't doubt its merit.

Well let me tell you, I'm about to start doubting.

This is not a fun movie, and I got absolutely no enjoyment out of watching it. And I'm not even sure if that's a criticism, it's that kind of movie. But here's my problem. There are other films I've seen that are similarly difficult to watch, but manage to convince me the effort was worthwhile by the end. This isn't the case with Kids. Sure, it may be relevant because the immorality and lifestyles it depicts are based in reality, but I didn't need to see this movie to know that. And the movie just doesn't have anything else to add, it's content to revel in its own deplorability.

Very much agree. I was thinking of Requiem for a Dream while I was contemplating this movie. Trying to figure out what made the one so fulfilling and the other so ineffective.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2799 on: March 12, 2009, 08:25:03 PM »
Their behaviour ranges from despicable to disgusting to downright criminal.

I really liked the way the film explored that full range rather than just focusing on the most obvious "bad boy" behavior ("virgin surgeon", lying, stealing, assault).  The script and direction were very careful to highlight some more minor examples of the kids' anarchic attitudes, like spitting on the dining room table, pissing on the street, leaving an empty bottle on the sidewalk rather than carrying it inside and throwing it out, and so on.  For me, those little touches went a long in elevating the film beyond a 'juvenile delinquency movie' niche.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad