Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712370 times)

chesterfilms

• Godfather
Re: 1990s US Bracket commentary
« Reply #250 on: April 15, 2008, 10:33:29 AM »
                                                                                      Pump Up The Volume
                                                                                                                      VS.   
                                                                                                    Six Degrees of Separation

Pump Up The Volume

i never understood why these kids found anything remotely deep in this guys ramblings. Christian Slater is terrible as always, and the writing was just down right bad. it's just so unrealistic to think he would be broadcasting from his home and never be caught by anyone. I also hated how he would wear his glasses whenever he wasn't broadcasting like he was some kind of clark kent. no one can see you on the radio dude.

Six Degrees of Separation

although i don't always like his movies,i have always enjoyed will smith. it was cool seeing him playing a character like this, and at the age he was, but there was something about his performance that bugged me. maybe it was the character he was playing in the film. maybe i'm being to picky here, but i don't think all these affluent people would be letting someone in their home whit such ease so it was never completely believable. i also didn't buy the connection between smith and channing. this movie was good, but there was nothing in it that really impressed me.

Six Degrees of Separation is clearly the winner, but i was underwhelmed by both films.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #251 on: April 15, 2008, 10:38:31 AM »
Nice job chester. How very bell hooks of you.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #252 on: April 15, 2008, 10:38:53 AM »
Talk hard!!!

:'(

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #253 on: April 15, 2008, 10:41:33 AM »

are you calling me a feminist?
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #254 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:07 AM »

are you calling me a feminist?
i'm calling you a capitalization anarchist.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #255 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:40 AM »
oh cool. thanks.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #256 on: April 15, 2008, 07:06:48 PM »
now i gotta find a copy of Hands on a Hard Body   

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #257 on: April 15, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »
now i gotta find a copy of Hands on a Hard Body   

Netflix doesn't have it?  Weird.  Almost every Blockbuster store seems to.

Also, in case people were wondering, Six Degrees and Pump up the Volume were very even in the balloting.  chester chose the 67th seed over the 72nd seed.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

kypade

« Reply #258 on: April 15, 2008, 08:06:59 PM »
Being John Malkovich vs JFK

Being John Malkovich

I'd seen this film before. But it had been years. Probably like, 5 of them. I liked it then, very much, but this was a pretty fresh experience for me. And man, what an experience it is. I don't even know where to start.

This film is everything I could ask for in a movie. Floor 7 1/2. I would not hesitate to (hypothetically) shoot an entire film using nothing but 6 foot ceilings. That's about as awesome as it gets. And I'm a big fan of puppets in films (This is easily one of my favorite scenes of the 1990s), so that is also awesome. But seeing John Malkovich take a portal into his own head? That's where it's really at.  It keeps getting more complex and fascinating. It starts out as a quirky comedy and by the end its some sorta a crazy quirky sci-fi satire dramedy. It's incredibly intricate. Nothing is left to chance and instead will eventually come back to play a role. It contains one of the most interesting sex scenes I've ever seen (and probably the single best "lesbian" sex scene in history). Each character It's really funny too. Just about every line Dr. Lester utters had me at least chuckling.

I think the best part is probably John Malkovich. His character is put in one of the most unique situations I can imagine. Once he finds out what is going on he really gets a chance to shine. It's especially exciting to watch him fighting with himself. He's practically consumed in a character literally consumed by another, and it's perfect. The rest of the acting is similarly awesome, but no one really comes close to some of those later scenes Malkovich has. It's heartbreaking to see him finally think he's "back", only to be taken over again by like ten more people. "We're John Malkovich." hahaha.

I didn't understand most of Maxine's motivations throughout, but by then end, it seems like she didn't really understand either. Until that final meeting with Lotte. So that's cool. I'm not sure what Craig does to deserve such a (relatively) sucky fate, but that didn't really bother me either.

But really, when it comes down to it, the real reason this film is so wonderful is that not only does a monkey have a flashback, but it's a point of view flashback:

That's just about the greatest thing ever.

JFK

First of all, I had not seen this movie before. Clips, sure. 20 minutes of a TV cut once. Its one of those films that I always wanted to see but just never made time for. So with that out of the way.

I gotta say I loved it. One of the first things I thought when I grabbed the dvd and looked it over was "Wow...206 minutes? I knew it was long, but that's really long. How can they fill three hours twenty minutes on this?"  Less than half way into the movie I realize that doubt was completely unfounded. The first 100 minutes felt like half that. The narrative moves really quickly and there is no shortage of fascinating details to keep me intrigued. I've watched documentaries on the whole JFK mystery (History channel type stuff), so I knew some of the theories surrounding the whole thing. But if even half of the information is based on facts, I might as well have went in never having heard of Kennedy. Every other minute it seems like some new character had some new connection or some new witness revealed some new piece of information. I was completely hooked.

The cast is among the greatest ensembles I've personally seen. Just about every actor gives a career high performance (or close to it). Costner is great, but it wasn't until the last courtroom scene that I realized how good he really is in this film. I also loved all of the characters who would be described as 'a character'. Tommy Lee Jones as Clay, Kevin Bacon as Willie, John Candy as that lawyer guy, and so forth. Maybe its just because they're so different from how I generally think of them. I dunno.

I liked the stylized stuff most. The introductory history lesson was great. It takes like 8 minutes to set everything up and it's beautiful and informative too. It felt like it belonged more in Sans Soleil than a historical drama and I loved when it came back throughout the film. All those high contrast black an whites and washed out 60s colors. The little flashes that mean nothing when you see them but later come back to play a big part, and the ones that 'explain' the stuff no one could really know. The photographs and the archival footage that show what people describe. I kinda wish it was interspersed a little more frequently. The two biggest reveal scenes (with X, pictured above and that final hearing) are just about perfect.

Finally, can someone tell me where to get this jacket?

Thanks.

As for the winner?

Do I really have to decide?

When I signed up for this and took this match, I figured it would be a pretty easy choice (for Being John Malkovich). But then I watched JFK and I was sure there was no way it would lose. As I was watching Malkovich again, I thought I'd pick it. Even now I feel like whichever I pick, the Bracket loses.

I guess I do have to pick one though.

I think if I watched Being John Malkovich one more time before posting this, it would win...but I'm gonna have to go with JFK. It's just too epic and awesome to be left behind.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #259 on: April 15, 2008, 08:11:12 PM »
The monkey is sad. He understands though.

love