love

Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712520 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1990s US Bracket commentary
« Reply #270 on: April 16, 2008, 02:11:57 AM »
I haven't truly loved any of the movies I have watched so far. Who knows... maybe South Park will rock my world.

Wow, you drew some interesting films.  Point Break AND Tommy Boy?!  And now South Park?  That's pretty crazy.  Yeah, I'll see if we can't move you out of the 16-year-old-boy demographic next time around.  ;)

edit: No offense at all meant to those films, two of which I love as guilty pleasures and one which I love with zero such caveats.

pixote
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:13:43 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #271 on: April 16, 2008, 09:12:23 AM »
I love JFK

So do I - it's one of the 3 films that I like Costner in - the other 2 being Bull Durham and Tin Cup.

JFK is such a great film and kypade is so right about how fast the film seems to move.
Hey, nice marmot!

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #272 on: April 16, 2008, 09:14:56 AM »
I haven't truly loved any of the movies I have watched so far. Who knows... maybe South Park will rock my world.
I loved Trust, Serial Mom, and The Straight Story so far, so hopefully we can get you something more hopeful next time, but many many people love South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut and Devil in a Blue Dress got a lot of support from a lot of people and it has a capable director. Good luck!
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #273 on: April 18, 2008, 11:13:40 PM »
                                                                             Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills
                                                                                                                     vs.
                                                                                                          The Fisher King

Paradise Lost

Unlike the previous pairing I drew, this time around, I was really excited about watching both these films. The Thin Blue Line is one of my favorite documentaries and having watched Berlinger & Sinofsky's earlier film, My Brother's Keeper, I was pretty pumped at the prospect of watching this one (Disclaimer: I haven't gotten around to watching Part 2 of this documentary which came out much later.. I wanted to evaluate this part on its own merits). The West memphis 3 murder trial was back in the news towards the later half of 2007 and I was somewhat familiar with the subject matter as a result. However, that didn't at all take away from my enjoyment of the film. The 150-odd minutes really went by very quickly and I could have easily watched the two parts back to back. The filmmakers seem to have had amazing access to all the key players involved in the case from both sides. From strategy meetings  to conversations between family members, I really felt like an invisible observer of the proceedings who could be at several places at once. My only gripe with the film , if at all, is the fact that i felt like the residents of this west memphis town were painted in really broad strokes and were being viewed with some condescension by the filmmakers. For instance, every resident in this town seems to have bad teeth and believe that wearing black and listening to rock music is equivalent to worshipping Satan. While I understand the blood thirst the residents must have felt at the time, I wondered why we didn't get to see anyone who questioned the lack of DNA evidence against the accused or the evidence against the stepfather. However, these are really things that occurred to me *after* watching the film .

The Fisher King

I absolutely loved this film when i watched it years ago and I wondered if it would stand up to the test time. In a way, I was hesitant to rewatch it afraid that the magic wouldn't work this time around and that i would lose the love I hold for this movie. Wrong. What can I say about a movie thats tragic, comic, whimsical, funny and strange - all at the same time. It's not a perfect film and I'm sure one can pick holes in it if one wants to (Robin Williams is too hairy for one thing :p). However, its such a fun cinematic experience that I tend to overlook all its flaws. Everybody seems perfectly cast and the movie still looks amazing.. manhattan even looks dark and medieval whenever Parry is going through one of his visions.
Verdict:

Just for the demonic fire-breathing red knight and especially for the scene where the subway station transforms into a ballroom and then switches right back to being a busy subway station, I have to move The Fisher King forward.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #274 on: April 18, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
You made the wrong choice. I don't think you understand how hairy Robin Williams really is.  ;D

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #275 on: April 18, 2008, 11:45:35 PM »
Just for the demonic fire-breathing red knight and especially for the scene where the subway station transforms into a ballroom and then switches right back to being a busy subway station, I have to move The Fisher King forward.

good call.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #276 on: April 18, 2008, 11:53:39 PM »
Yeah, the minor flaws I overlooked :).
Edit: Didn't realize I had already mentioned my one problem with the film!

You made the wrong choice. I don't think you understand how hairy Robin Williams really is.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:09:56 AM by worm@work »

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #277 on: April 19, 2008, 07:03:32 AM »
I loved Trust, Serial Mom, and The Straight Story so far...

You love Grosse Point Blank and you know it. Hey Jenny Slater.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #278 on: April 19, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »
I loved Trust, Serial Mom, and The Straight Story so far...

You love Grosse Point Blank and you know it. Hey Jenny Slater.
I do, but I had owned it and seen it before hand. I was only brining up stuff I haven't seen before a matchup.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #279 on: April 19, 2008, 11:39:42 AM »

good call.

Yes - agreed.
Hey, nice marmot!