love

Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712359 times)

Sonse

• On we blindly stumble!
Re: 1990s US Bracket commentary
« Reply #310 on: April 24, 2008, 05:09:46 PM »
Alien³ vs. The Iron Giant

Alien³
I've always liked Alien³ - is that already an unpopular movie opinion? I still liked it after rewatching it this time around. No Newt, no Hicks, just a bit of Bishop works for me. Ripley still rules, in particular bald and pissed. Sad to see Charles Dance's Clemens killed off half way through - kind of liked his stiff upper lip character ("That's a bit uncharitable"). I guess Ripley's guys are a bit like the Bond girls...
I don't exactly know how much Fincher still is in the movie, yet I can see his visuals are there. The grainy brown look manages to create some atmosphere.
Its major flaw are the other minor characters, the religious (huh?) prisoners + staff. They are anonymous alien fodder, completely interchangable running around dark corridors. Is it just me or have others problems knowing who in the finale is still alive or has just been killed? The last couple of minutes work fine for me though.
It suffers from being compared to its brilliant predecessors. Honestly, if this would have been Alien², it would fare better. Could it possibly beat Aliens  and its hundreds of monsters with a single one after we had that already in the first one?

The Iron Giant
Vin Diesel in his best role ever! I had not seen The Iron Giant before and was looking forward checking it out since I am huge fan of Bird's The Incredibles. The space robot truly seems to be come from a kid's daydream.
It reminded of one of my few memories from kindergarten. It was probably in my first week there. The kindergarten teachers read a story to us, something about a mouse living in an apple. Afterwards they wanted us to draw the mouse and its apple. I thought that was pretty boring and drew a robot (I am not sure where my fascination with robots came from at the time, my suspicion is that it was the cartoon Danger Mouse, which had a giant robot in one story and hey, the main character is a mouse, there's the link!). Anyway, the teachers weren't happy about my little mutiny and told me and my poor Mum I'd be better off sticking to assignments next time. Yep, that is my robot story. No way as huge as Hogarth's though.
Animation auteur Bird has created something beautiful and magic already before working for Pixar. However, his way of depicting his characters is already there. Hogarth's Mum could be a sister of Elastigirl. The sculptor from the junkyard is one of the most likeable characters in an animation film and the bad guy is great, too. I laughed so hard when he and Hogarth were watching each other for hours, determined to not look away for a split-second.
I don't want to get into its criticism of idiotic militarism here, but I think it adds to its charm. The story incorporates some cliches, although this doesn't do it any harm.
The Iron Giant has heart, wit and wisdom. Nobody bursts into a song, the score is serious and mostly dark and there isn't one cheap laugh in it. I loved it.

Verdict: The fight odd-shaped monster from outer space vs. huge space robot weapon goes to the one with a heart: The Iron Giant.
While Alien³ had a chance to move on in my hands, I just loved this affectionate animation masterpiece. As a kid it would probably have moved me even more and I am glad you guys finally made me watch this. Thank you!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:27:34 PM by Sonse »

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #311 on: April 24, 2008, 05:16:17 PM »
Yay!
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #312 on: April 24, 2008, 05:17:38 PM »

Sonse

• On we blindly stumble!
« Reply #313 on: April 24, 2008, 05:23:31 PM »
 ;D

I would take another match-up, but only if you don't mind that it might take 2-3 weeks... No doubt, it will take ages to find a match-up available to me anyway.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #314 on: April 24, 2008, 06:29:44 PM »
;D

I would take another match-up, but only if you don't mind that it might take 2-3 weeks... No doubt, it will take ages to find a match-up available to me anyway.
You will be hearing from Pixote.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #315 on: April 24, 2008, 06:52:26 PM »
I can't say I'm overjoyed with this pick, but I can't blame it, either. Alien3 had no chance against The Iron Giant.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #316 on: April 24, 2008, 07:04:22 PM »
I can't say I'm overjoyed with this pick, but I can't blame it, either. Alien3 had no chance against The Iron Giant.
Nice to see you maintaining perspective.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #317 on: April 24, 2008, 09:17:47 PM »
I think a sensible verdict was handed out in the Iron Giant vs Alien 3 matchp. Good show! Could not have put it better myself. Iron Giant simply has more emotion and character going for it.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #318 on: April 26, 2008, 01:31:25 AM »
i will post mine this weekend for sure!
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #319 on: April 27, 2008, 12:44:42 AM »
Pi
vs.
A Bronx Tale

Pi.

Major Flaws.

It was a little obvious. Religion is bad. Consumerism is bad. Alright. I get it. Some of the acting was a little sub-par, but it didn't hurt too much.

Major Attributes.

This movie is so damn intense. It is riveting and I was engrossed throughout. It is aurally as well as visually arresting. As a former math nerd the whole concept was intriguing.

A Bronx Tale

Major Flaws.

I don't like gangster movies. I don't like the sense of entitlement inherent in the characters we are supposed to empathize with. Luckily, there isn't much of that in this movie, but it's still there a little. It all felt a little familiar, as well. This wasn't helped by my movie watching habits of the past month or so (Goodfellas, The Godfather Parts I and II, and Millers Crossing). I didn't really like either actor for C, either.

Major Attributes.

In the second half the movie took off in a different direction and I was more interested in the racial tension rather than the regular mobster stuff. Also, the soundtrack was CINECAST!ing awesome with Come Together, All Along The Watchtower, Baby I Need Your Loving, and This Is A Man's...Man's World. Excellent. De Niro and Palmintery collaborated well not only acting wise but behind the scenes as well. I want to use Sonny's test to find the right girl.

The Verdict.

Although I liked the development in A Bronx Tale, I liked the entirety of Pi, and I liked it better. It was more interesting and a better made movie. So Pi moves on.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:46:14 AM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love