love

Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712300 times)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
Re: 1990s US Bracket commentary
« Reply #320 on: April 27, 2008, 01:37:25 AM »
You will probably make an enemy with this one Junior. I'm not sure who, but I'm expecting someone.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #321 on: April 27, 2008, 01:43:10 AM »
I saw Pi in the movie theater and I remember liking it. That is the one with the drill right? I haven't seen A Bronx Tale.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #322 on: April 27, 2008, 03:31:08 AM »
I am the enemy!

You will probably make an enemy with this one Junior. I'm not sure who, but I'm expecting someone.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #323 on: April 27, 2008, 09:49:36 AM »
masochist, duties of sucking up the contemporary gangster canon, or am i just missing something?

I don't like gangster movies[...]my movie watching habits of the past month or so (Goodfellas, The Godfather Parts I and II, and Millers Crossing).
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #324 on: April 27, 2008, 10:03:31 AM »
I am the enemy!

I am stunned by your pick junior...dat was not de right choice...fugetaboutit...
Hey, nice marmot!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #325 on: April 27, 2008, 12:19:04 PM »
masochist, duties of sucking up the contemporary gangster canon, or am i just missing something?

I don't like gangster movies[...]my movie watching habits of the past month or so (Goodfellas, The Godfather Parts I and II, and Millers Crossing).

Well, half of those movies are classics, so I got some pleasure from it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #326 on: April 27, 2008, 12:22:32 PM »
Another favorite moves on.... Pi was the 30th seed, A Bronx Tale the 109th...

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #327 on: April 27, 2008, 02:55:10 PM »
Affliction
vs
The Ice Storm

Affliction

Flaws
There were times when I couldn't understand a word Nick Nolte was mumbling, which made it quite annoying.  The ending feels really tacked on, almost as if it was tested and the audiences went "huh? what happened to x, y and z?" forcing them to add it and frankly I could've done without it. Nolte's character takes a fairly sudden turn in his mental state around 2/3rds into it that didn't seem entirely believable.  Could've done without the narration aswell.

Attributes
A really incredible performance by James Coburn as the abusive Father and Husband.  Nolte gives a good performance as does Sissy Spacek, the moments where we see Nolte trying to be a good Father to his daughter are great.  It's wonderfully bleak tone and performances really drew me in to this very good character study.

The Ice Storm

Flaws
I didn't really have that many problems with it, at least nothing glaringly obvious, but is there a likeable character in the bunch?  Save Tobey Maguire's Fantastic Four reading virgin, it seems to be full of self absorbed and ultimately selfish characters.  The audience is given almost no reason to sympathise with any of the characters, which leads to a very detached viewing experience.  There's no consequences for any of the characters actions includings people getting caught shoplifting and nothing coming of it and the pacing is fairly poor.

Attributes
It's very obviously set in the 70s, the set design, costumes, makeup, hair etc are all spot on.  It's well filmed and the eponimous storm looks great.  It's got a great cast and a few very good performances from Klein and Weaver.

Verdict
There's nothing really glaringly wrong with The Ice Storm, especially in comparison to some of Affliction's faults, but sadly there's also not a lot to get excited about.  So, although it does have quite a few problems, I'm putting Affliction through to the next round.  Though I don't suspect it will stay around very long.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #328 on: April 27, 2008, 03:27:37 PM »
The Ice Storm

Flaws
I didn't really have that many problems with it, at least nothing glaringly obvious, but is there a likable character in the bunch?  Save Tobey Maguire's Fantastic Four reading virgin, it seems to be full of self absorbed and ultimately selfish characters.  The audience is given almost no reason to sympathise with any of the characters, which leads to a very detached viewing experience.  There's no consequences for any of the characters actions including people getting caught shoplifting and nothing coming of it and the pacing is fairly poor.

I agree that the characters are pretty unlikeable and that is ultimately why I don't go back to this movie. Though isn't there a major consequence? Doesn't their kid die.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #329 on: April 27, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »
Upset alert!  The 125th-seed Affliction has toppled 14th-seeded The Ice Storm!

In the balloting, The Ice Storm received only postive votes:  8 votes leaning to include, 7 votes really, really wanting to include, and 3 votes fighting to the death for.

Affliction was a wildcard choice, only seen by four people.  One leaned against including, two leaned towards including, and one really, really wanted to include it.  It would have just missed out on the bracket had someone not made it their #1 film to save on the second ballot.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad