Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712578 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1990s US Bracket commentary
« Reply #630 on: June 16, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »
And another one of my 'fight for' films bites the dust.

"I did not ask for the anal probe."  Oh, yes you did, wolverine.  Yes you did.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #631 on: June 16, 2008, 10:32:28 PM »
Such bad luck you have, pixote.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #632 on: June 16, 2008, 10:35:54 PM »
Such bad luck you have, pixote.

Or bad taste?  :-\

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

secondcitywolverine

• It Stinks!
    • Dad's Secret Stash
« Reply #633 on: June 16, 2008, 10:45:01 PM »
Haha. No! I did NOT ask for the anal probe. I wrote in my review that that was one of my favorite scenes, but as a whole I don't think the film held up.

I'm sorry pixote. I'll make you some gumbo as a consolation dish.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #634 on: June 17, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »
Fearless (1993)
Directed by Peter Weir

Fearless tells the story of a man, Max (Jeff Bridges), who survives a horrendous plane crash.  This radically changes his personality as he develops a sense of invulnerability.  His wife, (Isabella Rosselini) struggles to keep her family together and to deal with her husband's new view on life.  Max then befriends another crash victim, Carla (Rosie Perez), whose baby was killed in the crash.  Max tries to help Carla deal with the grief she has experienced by the loss of her child.

First of all, I felt that the plane crash at the beginning of the film was extremely effective. The way it was shot showed both the devastation of the crash and the new found serenity that Max was feeling.  I have always been a fan of Jeff Bridges and here is no exception.  Isabella Rosselini, for me, was such an intricate part of this film.  She is both strong and vulnerable at the same time, and she really impressed me.  The main point of contention I have with this film is Rosie Perez. I have never liked her, and although she isn't as distracting in this film as most other ones I have seen her in, she completely took me out of the story.  Which is bad, because she is in most of the second half of the film.  I ultimately like the ending, even though I found it slightly predictable, I thought it was shot beautifully.

Big Night (1996)
Directed by Campbell Scott and Stanley Tucci

Big Night
tells the story of two Italian brothers, Primo (Tony Shaloub) and Secondo (Stanley Tucci), whose authentic Italian restaurant is failing and being out competed by an Italian restaurant down the street run by Pascal (Ian Holm), who is serving "americanized" Italian food.  With the promise of a visit from a famous jazz musician, Louis Prima, the brothers throw all that they have in to saving the restaurant with this one "Big Night."

This film was delightful to watch.  The interaction between Tony Shaloub and Stanley Tucci is great, and Tony Shaloub is particularly convincing as the chef of the restaurant (Tucci runs the front of the house), staying pure to his Italian roots, and insisting that it is the customer's problem if they aren't satisfied with his food.  I didn't care for Ian Holm's portrayal of the other Italian restauranteur, and I found him particularly unconvincing. Also,  I felt like he was over acting.  The small supporting roles played by Minnie Driver, Isabella Rosselini, Allison Janey, and Campbell Scott were all well acted. 

The direction by Scott and Tucci was competent and pretty pedestrian throughout most of the film, but I love the way they shot the preparation of the food, and the service of the big meal. (Yes, it made me very hungry.)  The party scenes of the dinner were also fun to watch.  There is also one long take at the end of the film where Tucci is making some eggs, which is very nice.  The camera just lingers on him cooking and setting out plates, etc. The music played throughout the film was also a lot of fun. I think this is a very sweet, simple story.

This was a tough decision.  I ultimately like both films, but I think I have to put Big Night through to the next round, because it is a film that I would watch again as well as recommend to friends.  Although I am glad I watched Fearless, I don't know if I would do the same as in the case with Big Night
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:34:32 PM by ses593 »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #635 on: June 17, 2008, 12:27:35 PM »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pixote

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #636 on: June 17, 2008, 12:28:03 PM »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pixote

I knew it!  I am sorry  :-\. Don't hate me.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #637 on: June 17, 2008, 12:30:42 PM »
Fearless used to be one of my favorite films.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #638 on: June 17, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »
Fearless used to be one of my favorite films.

What happened?

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #639 on: June 17, 2008, 12:37:41 PM »
I read the book.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

love