love

Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712333 times)

duder

• Elite Member
Re: 1990s US Bracket commentary
« Reply #750 on: July 21, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
For a film so clearly attempting to be non-narrative, it relies so heavily on the supposition of a narrative that when the narrative fails, the film fails twice. That's failure squared people.

:D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:59:57 PM by duder »

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #751 on: July 21, 2008, 03:03:33 PM »
For a film so clearly attempting to be non-narrative, it relies so heavily on the supposition of a narrative that when the narrative fails, the film fails twice. That's failure squared people.

:D
Indeed.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #752 on: July 21, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »
woohoo!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #753 on: July 21, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #754 on: July 21, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »
I never cared much for Election. I found everyone in it to be terribly unlikeable and ultimately I didn't care what happened to any of the characters. Both bracket movies that I find completely joyless have moved through now: Election and Happiness.  :-\
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #755 on: July 21, 2008, 03:54:30 PM »
I think this might be the time to quote the old Van Hallgren on Alexander Payne (FS #166): “Great writer but like in so many of his other films I felt like he really does take pleasure out of people’s pain and misery

I never cared much for Election. I found everyone in it to be terribly unlikeable and ultimately I didn't care what happened to any of the characters. Both bracket movies that I find completely joyless have moved through now: Election and Happiness.  :-\

When it comes to Payne, I generally agree with these statements. I didn't really like About Schmidt or Sideways, but Election has always been the one Payne film that worked for me. I think his characters in Election are definitely pathetic (best word I can come up with) but I don't know if they're really unlikable, and more importantly Election seems to be the one instance where Payne doesn't hate his characters. He shows them as flawed and a lot of humor comes from that, but I really think this film has a lot more heart than people give it credit for. I actually think Election is a really great film. Does it have any other supporters around here?   
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #756 on: July 21, 2008, 04:00:03 PM »
Does it have any other supporters around here?   

It must.  It's seeded in the top 20.  :D

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #757 on: July 21, 2008, 04:09:23 PM »
I think this might be the time to quote the old Van Hallgren on Alexander Payne (FS #166): “Great writer but like in so many of his other films I felt like he really does take pleasure out of people’s pain and misery

When it comes to Payne, I generally agree with these statements. I didn't really like About Schmidt or Sideways, but Election has always been the one Payne film that worked for me. I think his characters in Election are definitely pathetic (best word I can come up with) but I don't know if they're really unlikable, and more importantly Election seems to be the one instance where Payne doesn't hate his characters. He shows them as flawed and a lot of humor comes from that, but I really think this film has a lot more heart than people give it credit for. I actually think Election is a really great film. Does it have any other supporters around here?   

I also like bananas.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #758 on: July 21, 2008, 06:29:51 PM »
The Insider vs. Sense and Sensibility

The Insider

Flaws: I think Mann has a tendency to lay it on too thick. Too many instances where he kills the impact of his direction with some really heavy-handed music making it seem like this moment is the most important ever. There's also a lot just dumb shots like the shot where the camera is right next to Crowe's ear. I don't know. Just a lot of random stuff like that bothered me.

Attributes: The acting is pretty solid although Crowe's wife killed me with her awfulness. I liked Pacino a lot but that may be more the character than him. I can never tell. Pretty solid story as well.

Sense and Sensibility

Flaws: Unspeakably boring. Nothing about this film appeals to me. I fell asleep three times while trying to watch it.

Attributes: It has people I like in other movies.

Sorry, I got nothing.

The Insider moves on.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 06:31:25 PM by roujin »

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #759 on: July 21, 2008, 06:37:38 PM »
Sense and Sensibility

Flaws: Unspeakably boring. Nothing about this film appeals to me. I fell asleep three times while trying to watch it.

Attributes: It has people I like in other movies.

Sorry, I got nothing.

And thus Ang Lee, Emma Thompson, Gemma Jones, Tom Wilkinson, Imelda Staunton, Alan Rickman, Hugh Laurie, Kate Winslet, and Jane Austen are dispatched.

Barbarian!  :(