Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 467303 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #2360 on: February 16, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »
Clearly, Ed Norton is pretty fly for a white guy.  Speaking of which...

I'm not a big fan of Ed Norton...

I just want to point out (probably not for the fifth time) that Norton has given no less than five great performances:  Aaron in Primal Fear, Alan Isaacman in The People vs. Larry Flynt, Derek Vinyard in American History X, The Narrator in Fight Club, and Monty Brogan in 25th Hour.  I still don't get the hate.

pixote

Pixote is 100% correct. All of these are genius.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #2361 on: February 17, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
Virgin Suicides vs. Dead Man

Virgin Suicides

"We felt the imprisonment of being a girl. The way it made your mind active and dreamy and how you ended up knowing what colors went together. We knew that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death and that our job was to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them. We knew that they knew everything about us and that we couldn't fathom them at all."

Dean Man

"It is strange that you do not remember any of your poetry, William Blake."

While trying to write about each movie individually, I realized that I have similar things to say about the two movies. Both movies are a quiet telling of a horrific story. Both are marked by great performances and notable cinematography. Both movies are subtle, just barely there. They stick with you more as a feeling or an image rather than something concrete you can grab onto. Both grab you in the beginning and hold you easily through the middle and fade a little toward the end. In whatever humor you can take from both, they are both dark in tone.

Neither movie pushed through the bracket with much vigor and I myself have no strong conviction that would lead me to an obvious pick. Both would require multiple viewings to fully grasp. For that reason, I based my decision on which movie I would go back to first. There is something rough about Dead Man that leaves me a little disconnected. Virgin Suicides has a sort of fluidity that I would like to revisit.

Virgin Suicides goes through.

"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #2362 on: February 17, 2009, 10:55:54 AM »
YAY!!!!! :D

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #2363 on: February 17, 2009, 10:56:14 AM »
There's so much evil in this world.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #2364 on: February 17, 2009, 10:57:03 AM »
Woooooo!!

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #2365 on: February 17, 2009, 10:58:21 AM »
Virgin Suicides vs. Dead Man

Virgin Suicides

"We felt the imprisonment of being a girl. The way it made your mind active and dreamy and how you ended up knowing what colors went together. We knew that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death and that our job was to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them. We knew that they knew everything about us and that we couldn't fathom them at all."

Dean Man

"It is strange that you do not remember any of your poetry, William Blake."

While trying to write about each movie individually, I realized that I have similar things to say about the two movies. Both movies are a quiet telling of a horrific story. Both are marked by great performances and notable cinematography. Both movies are subtle, just barely there. They stick with you more as a feeling or an image rather than something concrete you can grab onto. Both grab you in the beginning and hold you easily through the middle and fade a little toward the end. In whatever humor you can take from both, they are both dark in tone.

Neither movie pushed through the bracket with much vigor and I myself have no strong conviction that would lead me to an obvious pick. Both would require multiple viewings to fully grasp. For that reason, I based my decision on which movie I would go back to first. There is something rough about Dead Man that leaves me a little disconnected. Virgin Suicides has a sort of fluidity that I would like to revisit.

Virgin Suicides goes through.

Great pull-quotes :)

i am guessing Dead Man will have the resurrection edge over The Virgin Suicides, so i can happily go with this verdict.  these are probably my two fave films in the bracket (though it has been a while since i've experienced Suicides
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #2366 on: February 17, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »
oh, and yay for this round being done!!!

can't wait for my next :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #2367 on: February 17, 2009, 11:11:48 AM »
oh, and yay for this round being done!!!

can't wait for my next :)

I'm giddy.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Dead Man.  I watched it in a screening for class and fell asleep about halfway through.  I'll get around to watching it again sometime.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2368 on: February 17, 2009, 11:41:17 AM »
Dead Man... I'm not really sorry to see it go. Good job.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2369 on: February 17, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »
Dead Man is (are you ready for this? it will shake you to your very foundation. if you don't already know what i'm going to say here go back through my voluminous post history and find all of the times i have commented on dead man. it's not a small number. my feelings are well known.) a pretty great film. I'm sad to see it lose here, though there is hope for a resurrection, I think. It has one of the best scores for this whole decade (tied with Last of the Mohicans?) and it's pretty to look at, too.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”