love

Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712327 times)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: 1990s US Bracket commentary
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »
I like that you worked on this film as a memory, especially since that is what the film is doing.  (And though I think she is an interesting film-maker, this is the only film of hers I actually like.)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 11:18:01 AM »
I like that you worked on this film as a memory, especially since that is what the film is doing.  (And though I think she is an interesting film-maker, this is the only film of hers I actually like.)

It seemed only fair given that my opinion on Sofia has changed so much since seeing Lost in Translation and Marie Antoinette and I didn't want that stuff creeping into my comments.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 01:03:03 AM »
Unforgiven
vs.
Schindler's List

Unforgiven

Flaws:

I didn't really like the young guy. Not the character, but the acting. He didn't hold up to Eastwood and Freeman in their shared scenes.

Attributes:

Pretty much everything else. I loved how this movie is essentially the end of the western. The old guys can't really do it like they used to (unless they need to bring justice), and the new guys are too weak to continue the tradition. It's also an interesting take on the myths that most westerns create - beginning and ending with text like a book, the kid making his own name, Little Bill telling the writer how things really went down - when you match those things up with Munny, who was once as low as you can get as a human, not being able to get on a horse it says something about myths and reality.

And of course, Eastwood, Freeman, Hackman, and Harris were amazingly fantastic. Big props to Eastwood's directing. It looked amazing and was perfectly paced. 

Schindler's List

Flaws:

I don't think the last part of the movie worked for me. I get that it was touching and the survivors were honoring him, but it didn't have to be in the movie. I would have been fine with it ending as they walk out on the field in black and white.

Attributes:

Again, pretty much everything else. This movie was a little more straightforward, but the technical aspects were very strong. It looked great and Neeson, Fiennes, and Kingsley were amazing. I did cry during Schindler's last speech, I don't know how you couldn't. One of the most amazing things about this movie is how long it felt, or didn't feel. At three and a half hours long you would have thought it would drag even a little. I don't think it did, until the end at least.

Winner:

This is a tough one. I'm gonna give it to Unforgiven. I'm ready for the claims of "cinemoron". That's what the wildcard or whatever-wanna-call-it is for.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:15:57 AM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 02:19:45 AM »
I'm ready for the claims of "cinemoron". That's what the wildcard or whatever-wanna-call-it is for.

Nope.  I'd make the same decision you did.

I've already got three I'd save before Schindler's List.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 02:40:26 PM »
I'd have to agree with you Junior, I would choose Unforgiven over Schindler's List too.

JoshuaOst

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 08:42:45 PM »
12 Monkeys vs. The Sixth Sense

12 Monkeys

Being a huge Terry Gilliam fan I must say that I am quite biased.  This movie constantly keeps you guessing and never gives you a moments rest.  I never really knew if James Cole was insane or actually from the future until the very end.  That being said, Bruce Willis really gives a great performance in this movie.  Although this movie has plenty of action in it, Willis doesn't play the heroic cop as in Die Hard.  He does seem invincible but his character is flawed and Willis plays him beautifully.  The ending is finishes the movie perfectly.  It leaves you with questions but doesn't leave you dissatisfied.  The direction is beautiful with each frame filled with enormous detail.  This is of course to be expected from Terry Gilliam.  My only complaint is Brad Pitt's performance is extremely exaggerated but it didn't take away from the film tremendously.

The Sixth Sense

I guess I was expecting more from The Sixth Sense because I have never seen it before and the enormous amount of praise it has been given.  Really, there is nothing special about this film.  It has it's moments but it wasn't anything more than ordinary.  Some of the dialogue comes off as unrealistic and overly dramatic and I feel it could've been handled better.  I also felt the big twist at the end was tacked on and the movie really didn't need it.  On some good notes, Haley Joel Osment's performance is great and he really handled the role well.  The film has some really nice photography and fits the mood of the piece with great effect.  Shyamalan's does a great job with a lot of the direction and overall it was a good movie.  Just not great.

Verdict:

12 Monkeys by a landslide.  The Sixth Sense is good but 12 Monkeys is great.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 08:46:27 PM »
I also felt the big twist at the end was tacked on and the movie really didn't need it. 

What? The movie is good no matter what, but the twist makes it great. Plus it's inevitable. The movie would make less sense if the twist wasn't revealed.
A$AP Fables

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 08:48:35 PM »
I would say that Brad Pitt in Twelve Monkeys is one of the best parts. Of course he is exaggerated, he is a mental patient.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 10:06:27 PM »
Verdict:

12 Monkeys by a landslide.  The Sixth Sense is good but 12 Monkeys is great.

You made the right choice in the battle for Philadelphia.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 10:20:08 AM »
I also felt the big twist at the end was tacked on and the movie really didn't need it. 

What? The movie is good no matter what, but the twist makes it great. Plus it's inevitable. The movie would make less sense if the twist wasn't revealed.

I've said this numerous times, that I went in knowing what the ending would be and still thought it was great.  People give M. Night a bad rap because of his twist endings but this film was great.  It wasn't a gimmick in his first film.

Being a huge Terry Gilliam fan I must say that I am quite biased. 

Clearly because you've picked the inferior film.

love