love

Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712518 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1990s US Bracket commentary
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2007, 04:41:23 PM »
Winner: I wish it could be a tie, but my choice is Boogie Nights.

Just curious:  What put Boogie Nights over the top?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2007, 04:44:48 PM »
I don't really know. The overall feel, I guess. Mark Whalberg was really good as was John C. Reilly.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »
I'm fine with your choice cause I don't know what I would've done. My commentary will be up tonight.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2007, 01:23:29 AM »
Winner: I wish it could be a tie, but my choice is Boogie Nights.

Yay!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2007, 08:10:23 PM »
I'm fine with your choice cause I don't know what I would've done. My commentary will be up tonight.

Which tonight?

Do you and junior need new pairings?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2007, 08:43:04 PM »
Yeah, i do. And i fell asleep on that tonight. So maybe tonight will be the real tonight.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2007, 09:04:29 PM »
Yeah, i do.

Ghost Dog
vs.
Boys Don’t Cry

Game?

So maybe tonight will be the real tonight.

Looking forward to it.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2007, 09:32:54 PM »
Yeah, unless I end up needing to do Beauty and the Beast.

Should be fun. I've never actually seen Boys Don't Cry.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2007, 09:40:41 PM »

Should be fun. I've never actually seen Boys Don't Cry.

I've not seen it, either.  Since I am planning to knock my current pair out tonight (or tomorrow), it was looking like I might catch that one (which I have been kinda dreading) - looks like I'm safe for just a bit longer.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2007, 12:17:22 AM »
Let's see if I remember how this is done.

Metropolitan vs. Serial Mom

Metropolitan
Major Flaws
I found a lot of the acting to be unconvincing. I'm not saying it's unrefined or even necessarily poor, but unconvincing. Really this is the main flaw in the film seen though many lenses: it's often unconvincing. I don't know that I every felt the "truth" for the characters in the plot. The pacing, while appropriate, fails to really execute. For a film like this, that has obvious dramatic aspirations of some kind, it relied entirely too heavily on wit in dialogue to survive.

Major Attributes
It is actually pretty funny. Not really funny, but pretty funny. Also, I have a soft spot for Chris Eigeman. There's something to be said, as well, for this film's place in the popular consciousness. It's part of the new style of the comedy of manners. It also exerts a lot of influence on filmmakers that look satirically at the rich. Besides all that, this is basically the template for any recent comedy scene based on high intellectual conversations that become the butt of the joke. I also was very intrigued by the staging and composition in the after-party scenes. The characters are often captured as a whole, roomful of people even when only one person is talking and not everyone is focused on them. It helped to reinforce the idea of the focus of a party, the relative isolation possible despite the cramped accommodations of these such parties and the general strange, uncomfortable artificiality of the whole superficial, banal endeavor. The only problem with all this is that they did not take this effort near far enough for me. While sometimes collapsing in on a segment of the party that is focused on a particular topic/speaker, they often revert to close-ups and shot/reverse in a fairly conventional manner that fails to reinforce the possible goals of the cinematography.

Serial Mom
Major Flaws
Maybe its aspirations? This is a film very much in the Waters style, at a time where he was in the continuous process of reigning in the shock and only using it where it really makes sense. It doesn't really explore itself aesthetically and falls almost entirely into either film conventions or Waters conventions.

Major Attributes
Weren't those half-assed flaws? This film falls right into Waters' thesis of the satire of the grotesque. It's a film right in his wheelhouse and he kills it (in the best possible way). It was really funny all the way through. The satire hit you over the head when he overtly wanted it to and it was more subtle when it was designed to be. It was dead on in either style. The camp was hitting all the right notes as well. The entire cast was great, especially Kathleen Turner and Sam Waterson. It was effortless and wonderful. He didn't need any flourishes, fancy editing, or evocative lighting because he did everything he wanted to by making a film the way he always has. Did I mention how funny I found it?

So, I found this tough because the styles were really different and the intentions were more so. However, when you weigh the success that the filmmakers had in hitting their goals, it's no contest. Metropolitan is too timid and it fails repeatedly at what it tries to do, while Serial Mom never does.

Serial Mom's reign of terror continues as it brutally murders Whit Stillman's film with a pot roast!

love