love

Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712598 times)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: 1990s US Bracket commentary
« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »
Oops :)

I'm starting to play with the idea that I watch comedies in a very different way because of the way they transmit their ideologies, thus why I tend to be more critical with them.  I'm not really sure.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2008, 12:26:40 AM »
     I started watching GoodFellas (maybe [noembed]the opening scene[/noembed] is not fresh with you) but the three guys – Jimmy (DeNiro), Henry (Liotta), and Tommy (Pesci) - are in the car wondering what the noise is is just pathetic.  They know there is a guy in the trunk, sure he is supposed to be dead, but they start hypothesizing “the timing belt”, “a flat” – ‘I guess we better pull over and see’ says Tommy.  If you hear a noise in the car, are you not going to be able to tell it is in the trunk – especially when you know there is a guy there?  I wouldn’t expect such a poor treatment from a high school video-maker, but Scorsese?  In one of his more highly revered films?  Come on!  That completely wrong set-up along with a very staged-feeling interior of the car started to worry me for how bad I was apparently going to think the film was, flying in the face of most every Scorsese-worshipping Filmspotter.  Fortunately, with the quick turn to Henry’s statement “As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster” and the scenes of his childhood, Scorsese solidly takes control of the story.  (And before I stray too far, what is up with those “car-like” opening credits?  Very unimpressive.)

Present-day Henry provides voice-over for scenes from his childhood.  We are told that he enjoyed the power and “respect” from being associated with the mob and that the mob was really looking out for their own when the police and other institutions would not.  So I am getting swept up with young Henry, the idea of parallel institutions, community, chosen family, all that good stuff – thematically it seems the film is hitting its stride and meshing with ideas I tend to value.  Then, it begins, the excessive violence and clever bits start creeping in and taking over.  The film feels as if it is trying to stay true to the story it is based upon, thus the matter-of-fact killings are not held up for judgment, instead included just as ornamental plot points.  The killings are not portrayed as ethically problematic, instead it is the deviations from expected behavior, seen most clearly with Tommy, that are ethically troublesome in this world.  Not to harp on the issue, but the film, while technically well crafted, just doesn’t do it for me in the story or meanings departments.

Safe, while also technically well crafted (and without some of the transparent set pieces that GoodFellas suffers), raises interesting issues – mainly (mental) health and environment(al illness) with strong suggestions that Carol’s condition is aggravated by gender relations– while maintaining compelling plot trajectory and character development.  In fact, the sound design of Safe, consisting primarily of white noise, perfectly suits both the psychological state of the protagonist Carol White (in Julianne Moore’s best performance) as well as the social status of the environment as “background noise” and the booming industry of Syndromes.  Further, place is rarely such a consistently compelling aspect of a film, here Haynes has imbued White’s home and car, highways, hospitals, parking garages, as well as the retreat center as characters and characteristic of Carol’s illness.  The haunting finish is one of the finest in film.

I can't believe I haven't alienated everyone with my choices thus far, but if I had anyone left on my side, I reckon this has put an end to that.  Going in, I actually suspected I would go with GoodFellas - what can I say, I much prefer Safe  :) 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:03:59 PM by pixote »
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2008, 12:33:28 AM »
I have a feeling that sdedalus will step in for this one. Isn't that how it works?

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2008, 12:49:54 AM »
I have a feeling that sdedalus will step in for this one. Isn't that how it works?

Yeah, four for this round and I have a feeling that I will have more than a fair share of my losers ruled back in.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2008, 12:56:19 AM »
Yeah, I did get the sense that your picks weren't all that well-liked. I do see where you're coming from so I guess you did your job.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2008, 02:26:37 AM »
Not having seen Safe, I am not against Goodfellas as I believe it to be far more flawed than is ever talked about. I may not have the same problems with it that you do, but it is by no means perfect or, in this case, unbeatable. I liken it to a sibling in a freakishly successful family. So much greatness among them, with some having less potential for greatness than others. But then there's this one child, with loads of potential that just seems to get a bit more credit for his potential and family name than anyone is willing to acknowledge.

Huh. It's been awhile since I defended you.

I'll post mine soon. I have my decision, I just need to figure out exactly how I'll articulate it.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2008, 02:28:07 AM »
It has been a while, thanks :)  Looking forward to yours.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2008, 02:32:40 AM »
I haven't seen Safe in a decade or so, but I really hated it then.

It's going to be a real struggle to only get to save four.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2008, 02:45:49 AM »

What he said.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2008, 02:48:04 AM »

It's going to be a real struggle to only get to save four.

I don't feel sooo bad knowing that junior has also voted out some controversial ones - you will have your work cut out for you :)