Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 712433 times)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
Re: 1990s US Bracket commentary
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2008, 03:16:19 AM »
Boys Don't Cry vs. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

Boys Don't Cry
Major Flaws: It didn't need to be a film. It could have just as easily been a play, a novel, a tv movie, a frontline report, anything that conveyed the story. The little visual flourishes that Pierce put in were unimpressive and didn't add to my emotional, thematic or atmospheric understanding of the film and I otherwise fail to see their point. Most of the framing was boring and lacked ingenuity while there were noteworthy inserts that inspired cringing, if not (academic) anger. At no point in the film did I feel than any of the anxiety, fear, or pain that were so important to the story was communicated by the film to the audience in any cinematic way. Also, this one is no one's fault, but I couldn't help but think of Candace as "Becky".

Major Attributes: Very fine acting. Peter Sarsgaard and Brendon Sexton are known for these kinds of sleazy roles. Swank was totally convincing and Sevigny was passable to good depending on the scene. I'm not even going to deal with "Becky", I just can't. The pacing was spot on and kept a clean beat throughout. The narrative was expressed with admirable skill and success.

Ghost Dog
Major Flaws: Some of the acting was stiff. I could've done without the VOs on the book excerpts. A number of times it was too clever for its own good and a few times it was too philosophical for its own good.

Major Attributes: I understand a lot of the complaints about Whitaker here, but he totally worked for me. The perspective driven camera work was some of the best, most effortless, I've seen in film of this period. The comedy was very much of Jarmusch's later period and was really on target here. The melange of genres and the spoofing within them was really well done and should be considered before watching Kill Bill if you are a fan of the latter film. The set design, relationships and spatial framing really evoked the tenor of the scene and kept the audience in step with the narrative. Again, surprisingly funny.

The main difference here for me is the use of the medium. While I feel that Pierce's film does nothing with cinema itself and simply uses it to communicate the story, Jarmusch is constantly aware of his artifice and uses it often. Even some of the problems I had with it (the VO on the text) had a purpose that revealed itself and maintained the importance of the device. There was nothing in Pierce's film that I considered indispensable (maybe the shots from the film that she was forced to cut to drop the rating would've changed my perspective on this). While this is nowhere near Jarmusch's best film of the decade (Dead Man being unfairly dispatched earlier), it is more than strong enough to let Boys Don't Cry go.

Ghost Dog over Boys Don't Cry.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2008, 03:21:13 AM »
Nice write-up.  Do you have your next?  If not, do you want another? (I think only 4 are left for the round.)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2008, 03:24:33 AM »
Nice write-up.  Do you have your next?  If not, do you want another? (I think only 4 are left for the round.)
Thank you. No I don't. Of course I do.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »
It's so strange to talk academically about Boys Don't Cry. The movie ripped me apart. It is probably that, for me, the act of rape is the most painful event I could witness on film, nothing disturbs me more, so that may have to do with my intense reaction.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »
It's so strange to talk academically about Boys Don't Cry. The movie ripped me apart. It is probably that, for me, the act of rape is the most painful event I could witness on film, nothing disturbs me more, so that may have to do with my intense reaction.
See, conversely, the problem with the film working for me is that I've seen so many instances of rape on film that I've become desensitized to a certain extent. Not to mention that I knew Brandon Teena's story going in.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »

It looks like the next up is

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas vs. The Thin Red Line

will that work?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2008, 08:02:17 PM »
Not to mention that I knew Brandon Teena's story going in.

Was this your first viewing of both films?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2008, 10:07:53 PM »

will that work?

Woah. That one is mine, I think.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

JoshuaOst

« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2008, 10:12:59 PM »
If you guys want me to review anything, I've got most of this week to watch films.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2008, 10:47:05 PM »

will that work?

Woah. That one is mine, I think.
If it's yours, give me the next one skjerva. If Junior doesn't have it, I'm fine with it.

Not to mention that I knew Brandon Teena's story going in.

Was this your first viewing of both films?

pixote
No, only Boys Don't Cry. I actually expected to be surprisingly overwhelmed by BDC and underwhelmed by GD, but it went the other way.