Author Topic: Last DVD you bought  (Read 650315 times)

ElectricShadow

Re: Last DVD you bought
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 10:57:37 AM »
Iwai's April Story is a really great movie.

DVDs are going to be around for a long time.  And even if one HD format eventually wins, they'll still play SD-DVDs.

I do not doubt that may be the case. However, in the future, when HD television sets become affordable for even lower income families, it would be hard for me to sit through an image of DVD quality (480i) when I can watch the same movie at twice the resolution or more.

As for me, I'd rather wait and eventually buy HD quality movies instead of having to replace an entire DVD collection. For me, its jut a financial justification to be patient. Can anyone recall replacing their cassette tapes with CDs?
We're all awkward creatures shrink wrapped in skin and walking around feeling things...

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 11:30:18 AM »
Well, DVD's  at 720, not 480, so even standard DVDs look better on your HD TV than a regular TV.

Look at it this way: DVD's been around for over a decade, and there are still essential films that are only now being released in that format.  How long until there's an HD Stranger Than Paradise?

When HD is readily available, the next format will be on the horizon.  Will you not buy any HD DVDs in anticipation of Super HD?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 02:48:44 PM »
Well, DVD's  at 720, not 480, so even standard DVDs look better on your HD TV than a regular TV.

Look at it this way: DVD's been around for over a decade, and there are still essential films that are only now being released in that format.  How long until there's an HD Stranger Than Paradise?

When HD is readily available, the next format will be on the horizon.  Will you not buy any HD DVDs in anticipation of Super HD?

Jeebus, you just make me shudder thinking about the next, next format.  Can't we just stop innovation?  I'm perfectly happy to never have to upgrade again.

ElectricShadow

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 04:02:15 PM »

Ah...yes, that's my mistake. It is, in fact, 720i. In addition, you do, in fact, bring up and very strong point. A point that I completely agree with. I suppose the best compromise is to purchase a film that has repeat viewing value on DVD format. And wait until High Definition monitors and players become a standard, and then purchase HD quality films that are meant to be seen in such a pristine format.

Very good then. The argument goes to you.  :)
We're all awkward creatures shrink wrapped in skin and walking around feeling things...

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 06:50:14 PM »
wow, it's not often that anyone concedes a point around here, and it's NEVER that civil.  Are you the one who's gonna class this place up?

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 06:57:40 PM »
Hey, I thought that, too!
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

VmSoze

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »
great minds and all that

ElectricShadow

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 09:55:34 PM »
Class the place up? I'm sorry, nothing so bold. However, I have no problem with conceding to a good point. I'd like to think that we're all friends here.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 11:19:49 PM »
I can't stand it, he's classy when denying his class. Kill him, I say!
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Aaron

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 12:50:14 AM »
Two copies of Dawn of the Dead Ultimate edition.

you know, for X mas.  Nothing quite says x-mas like the dead rising.