Author Topic: Remake that needs to be made  (Read 10690 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: Remake that needs to be made
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 02:58:36 PM »
I would love to see what kind of abuse Iñárritu could dream up to pile on those characters.
Hey, nice marmot!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 03:04:49 PM »
I'm not a fan of Iñárritu, but there's an interesting conversation about Rosemary that would filter nicely through him. I've read the argument that Rosemary doesn't have enough agency, that the film heaps misery upon her and takes advantage of her pregnancy to weaken her physically, mentally and emotionally. If I just wanted to see that, I would say give the book to Lars Von trier and let him run her into the dirt. However, give it to Iñárritu and cast someone strong like Blanchett and you can better see this character still trying to fight and protect her child while she's having her agency taken from her every time she looks for help. There's a great moment towards the end when she can only scream out "Won't somebody help me?" She's still not giving up the fight, but the frustration of being stopped and redirected at every turn has finally reached a breaking point.

It's worth mentioning that the Ira Levin's satire doesn't escape Polanski. While the movie is firmly horror, there are a number of absurdly funny moments, from Ralph Bellamy's haircut to the way during the finale the elderly neighbors finally let their hair down and praise Satan in front of Rosemary. Unlike Nolan or Snyder, I think Iñárritu would also get the joke.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:16:59 PM by 1SO »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 09:06:42 PM »
First thing that came to mind were some oldie sci-fi movies that have not aged well, or some more recent ones with interesting premises that were unfortunately handled. Movies like the Tron sequel and the War of the Worlds remake make me wary of any such project though (as far as that first category is concerned).

Then I thought about how much I would like to see a good Spartacus or Fall of the Roman Empire movie or any retelling of sword and sandals stories that have been butchered, but that is less a question of remakes than re-telling.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

dassix

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 11:12:51 AM »
Oh c'mon, the Tron sequel wasn't that bad.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 11:21:48 AM »
I really like Tron: Legacy and Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
Then I thought about how much I would like to see a good Spartacus or Fall of the Roman Empire movie or any retelling of sword and sandals stories that have been butchered, but that is less a question of remakes than re-telling.

You might eat your words later this summer... a Ben-Hur remake is coming, and based on nothing at all, I'm not optimistic.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 11:42:40 AM »

I didn't see T:L but I agree about WotW. Maybe Spielberg's best film of the 21st century, and far better than the original IMO.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 11:21:49 PM »
Oh c'mon, the Tron sequel wasn't that bad.

I will protect your right to be wrong to the death.

You might eat your words later this summer... a Ben-Hur remake is coming, and based on nothing at all, I'm not optimistic.

I should have specified that the remake would have to be historically correct (at least reasonably so) and be somewhere north of good. But was the original Ben-Hur butchered ? I am yet to see it. 

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 02:31:15 AM »
I don't know, but I don't necessarily agree that historical accuracy is all that important. The original Spartacus sure isn't historically accurate, but that doesn''t make it a bad film : what matter is the story the filmmakers want to tell, why should they have to follow history all that closely ?
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 02:55:12 AM »
Because I loathe historical deviations.