love

Author Topic: Weather Report  (Read 130569 times)

Devil

Re: Weather Report
« Reply #850 on: January 06, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
Toronto is covered in a thin layer of ice again but our infrastructure didn't implode this time, I guess that's a win.
~You never say, "I'm gonna fight you, Steve." You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him~

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #851 on: January 06, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »
Yea, it's 17F here. I don't think it's ever been that cold in the 17 years I've been here. I'm loving it, actually. But we also have no precipitation at the moment.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #852 on: January 06, 2014, 04:54:18 PM »
It's the kind of cold here where weird things start happening. Today I dumped a pot of pasta in the sink to strain it and the steam hit the window and immediately frosted. I've never had to scrap the ice off from the inside before. :))

Triple-pane in the ass.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #853 on: January 06, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »
The world is upside down. Those temperatures... we usually get them at least at some point during the winter for a few days. This winter has been so disappointing so far. It's just like autumn, but worse. So grey. A few degrees above zero, Celsius scale. Since we're living so far up north it's pretty dark anyway and since it's constantly raining - or almost raining - it adds to the darkness. It's like dementors, it sucks the life out of you.
The latest reports have hinted that we might get a few degrees below the freezing point towards the end of the week and after that - possibly - even a little bit of snow. I'll believe it when I see it. But I certainly hope they're right this time. Lack of real winter is overrated.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #854 on: January 06, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure these some kind of vortex that usually keeps the cold in one general location but its all weak and stuff so things that are normally cold aren't and things that aren't normally cold are.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #855 on: January 06, 2014, 05:24:53 PM »

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #856 on: January 06, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
72oF here today.
Its days like this that make me glad I left Chicago.

Phoenix-based gloating should subside sometime around mid-May, but, yeah... another short-sleeved afternoon here today.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

JakeIsntFake

• Nothing that a few mega-vitamins couldn't cure
    • 2015 Watchlist
« Reply #857 on: January 06, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »
the earth is a funky place
What a world
"The detail of the pattern is movement"
ICheckMovies
Top 40

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #858 on: January 06, 2014, 11:36:03 PM »
It's the kind of cold here where weird things start happening. Today I dumped a pot of pasta in the sink to strain it and the steam hit the window and immediately frosted. I've never had to scrap the ice off from the inside before. :))

Triple-pane in the ass.

I ditched my old car because once I got to NDak it was terrible gas mileage and let frost form on the inside, which I assumed was something to do with it being old and not as sealed. Turns out my new car gets terrible gas mileage in winter and interior frost. Don't really regret the shift though.

The thing I liked is all the steam vents on the outside of the building (such as for laundry) have trails of frost as the steam immediately freezes to the wall rather than floating off.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #859 on: January 09, 2014, 02:44:48 AM »
We got a good dumping of snow, so the kids went out and built The Death Star!