love

Author Topic: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me  (Read 209476 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me
« Reply #1550 on: January 05, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »
Baked Stuffed Italian style Acorn Squash.

I've been working this recipe out in my head for about two weeks, and finally decided it was time to give it a try. The stuffing smelled really good when I was putting it on the acorn squash. I hope it tastes as good as it smelled.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #1551 on: January 05, 2012, 03:21:32 PM »
I like to do a cornbread stuffing with Italian sausage and veggies when I stuff acorn squash
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #1552 on: January 05, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
Acorn squash stuff-off!

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1553 on: January 05, 2012, 05:50:13 PM »
I like to do a cornbread stuffing with Italian sausage and veggies when I stuff acorn squash

Tonight was the first time I've ever eaten acorn squash, and I really liked it. Now, I've got all kinds of ideas sprouting in my head about what to do with it next time.

This time, I took an onion, 6 cloves of garlic and sauteed it in olive oil. Added a 14.5 oz. can of low sodium chicken broth and a heaping tablespoon of spaghetti sauce and brought it to a boil. Added 1 cup of white rice and cooked until all broth absorbed.

Then I took slightly more than a half pound of Sweet Italian sausage (which I removed from its casing), 1 egg, and another heaping tablespoon of spaghetti sauce and mixed thoroughly. I then tossed in the cooled rice, along with a 1/4 cup each of shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Seasoned with a little salt and pepper and finally added some fresh basil oil that I made at the end of the growing season this year. Mixed it all together well and stuffed the squash halves to rather heaping portions. Sprinkled some fresh bread crumbs on top, and then drizzled with a combination of butter and olive oil. Baked at 350 degrees tented with foil for 90 minutes and then again uncovered for another 45 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised at the overall finished dish. I'll definitely be making it again.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #1554 on: January 06, 2012, 01:43:28 AM »
We need pictures man. Sounds lovely but I don't even know what an acorn squash looks like (squash is what you mix with water to make a kids' fruit drink here). O

On that theme, this is what the Christmas Cake looks like on 12th Night. (The discarded Xmas figures are a bathetic touch, I like).

and I add this for gratuitous gorgeousness;

That's pan fried asparagus on parma ham with shavings of parmesan.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1555 on: January 06, 2012, 06:17:58 AM »
We need pictures man.

Sorry, but my camera is not working at the moment. I had an accident while hiking and it got wet. I slipped on a rock crossing a waist deep stream and unfortunately the camera was in my jacket pocket.

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #1556 on: January 09, 2012, 02:59:58 AM »
and I add this for gratuitous gorgeousness;

That's pan fried asparagus on parma ham with shavings of parmesan.

That looks like it was ripped from the cover of Gourmet magazine.

Wow.
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1557 on: January 09, 2012, 04:57:30 PM »
need a few good suggestions for a dinner I will cook on Saturday for about 10 or 12 people and want to try something new since I probably have burned them out on my traditional stand-bys.

One I have decided is mussels in white one sauce.  But I probably will also grill but wondering if anybody as something unusual or different that can be grilled?  So far I think of Portobello mushrooms and asparagus.  Perhaps this looks nice and easy:

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/04/vietnamese-restaurantstyle-grilled-lemongrass-pork-thit-heo-nuong-xa.html
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1558 on: January 09, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »
http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/04/vietnamese-restaurantstyle-grilled-lemongrass-pork-thit-heo-nuong-xa.html

That recipe looks good, but I'd be wary to use that much fish sauce in the marinade. Nuoc Mam is very salty and very pungent, and is an acquired taste. I love it, but my wife gets freaked out if I use a lot of it. And that amount seems rather potent in proportion to the other ingredients. If you like it as much as I do, then maybe it won't be a problem. But if you're cooking for novices in far east cuisine, I'd cut it back to at least half.

Also, if you want to save yourself a lot of prep work, just use a whole pork tenderloin instead of pork shoulder cutlets. I think it would work out great as long as you marinate it at least 24 hours. But if you choose to do this, then disregard my earlier statement. The fish sauce won't penetrate as far in a whole tenderloin as it would in cutlets.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:27:41 PM by Antares »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1559 on: January 09, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »

That recipe looks good, but I'd be wary to use that much fish sauce in the marinade. Nuoc Mam is very salty and very pungent, and is an acquired taste. I love it, but my wife gets freaked out if I use a lot of it. And that amount seems rather potent in proportion to the other ingredients. If you like it as much as I do, then maybe it won't be a problem. But if you're cooking for novices in far east cuisine, I'd cut it back to at least half.

Also, if you want to save yourself a lot of prep work, just use a whole pork tenderloin instead of pork shoulder cutlets. I think it would work out great as long as you marinate it at least 24 hours. But if you choose to do this, then disregard my earlier statement. The fish sauce won't penetrate as far in a whole tenderloin as it would in cutlets.

I usually cut the amount of fish sauce in half anyway as I don't go for too salty food.   All my guests but one will be Asian so they are use to the style of food and fish sauce.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman