love

Author Topic: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me  (Read 209471 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me
« Reply #1560 on: January 09, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »
http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/04/vietnamese-restaurantstyle-grilled-lemongrass-pork-thit-heo-nuong-xa.html

That recipe looks good, but I'd be wary to use that much fish sauce in the marinade. Nuoc Mam is very salty and very pungent, and is an acquired taste. I love it, but my wife gets freaked out if I use a lot of it. And that amount seems rather potent in proportion to the other ingredients. If you like it as much as I do, then maybe it won't be a problem. But if you're cooking for novices in far east cuisine, I'd cut it back to at least half.

Also, if you want to save yourself a lot of prep work, just use a whole pork tenderloin instead of pork shoulder cutlets. I think it would work out great as long as you marinate it at least 24 hours. But if you choose to do this, then disregard my earlier statement. The fish sauce won't penetrate as far in a whole tenderloin as it would in cutlets.

I usually cut the amount of fish sauce in half anyway as I don't go for too salty food.   All my guests but one will be Asian so they are use to the style of food and fish sauce.

Something else I just noticed on that page. The author suggests that if you can't find lemongrass to substitute Chinese Five Spice powder. I don't know what the author is smoking, but Five spice is no way a substitute for lemongrass. Two completely different tastes. If you can't find lemongrass, you can use Kaffir lime leaves as they are close to lemongrass in taste and pungency, but do not use five spice powder. If you can't find either, then skip this recipe.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1561 on: January 09, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »
http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/04/vietnamese-restaurantstyle-grilled-lemongrass-pork-thit-heo-nuong-xa.html

That recipe looks good, but I'd be wary to use that much fish sauce in the marinade. Nuoc Mam is very salty and very pungent, and is an acquired taste. I love it, but my wife gets freaked out if I use a lot of it. And that amount seems rather potent in proportion to the other ingredients. If you like it as much as I do, then maybe it won't be a problem. But if you're cooking for novices in far east cuisine, I'd cut it back to at least half.

Also, if you want to save yourself a lot of prep work, just use a whole pork tenderloin instead of pork shoulder cutlets. I think it would work out great as long as you marinate it at least 24 hours. But if you choose to do this, then disregard my earlier statement. The fish sauce won't penetrate as far in a whole tenderloin as it would in cutlets.

I usually cut the amount of fish sauce in half anyway as I don't go for too salty food.   All my guests but one will be Asian so they are use to the style of food and fish sauce.

Something else I just noticed on that page. The author suggests that if you can't find lemongrass to substitute Chinese Five Spice powder. I don't know what the author is smoking, but Five spice is no way a substitute for lemongrass. Two completely different tastes. If you can't find lemongrass, you can use Kaffir lime leaves as they are close to lemongrass in taste and pungency, but do not use five spice powder. If you can't find either, then skip this recipe.

I didn't read it too close, I would have no idea why they would think five spice powder is a proper substitute.  I looked at the pic and it looked good:)  I also looked at a few other lemon-grass pork dishes and they looked similar so I may choose another.

Lemongrass and other Asian ingredients are not an issue, I live in Asia:)
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1562 on: January 09, 2012, 05:49:09 PM »
I didn't read it too close, I would have no idea why they would think five spice powder is a proper substitute.

I did a double take when I read it. That's like substituting sage for cinnamon.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #1563 on: January 09, 2012, 11:07:43 PM »
I made pasta with broccoli-lemon pesto, white beans, and chicken.  I also made caramelized carrots with honey and cilantro, it's my new favorite way to cook carrots.  Should be up on the blog soon.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1564 on: January 10, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »
I also made caramelized carrots with honey and cilantro, it's my new favorite way to cook carrots.
Sounds so good!  I'll try it.

Do you ever use freeze-dried cilantro instead of fresh? Unless it's summer or unless I plan ahead, I don't usually have fresh cilantro on hand.  Used some freeze-dried last night (for a cucumber-lemon relish - to go with a chicken tikki masala) and it was really good.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1565 on: January 10, 2012, 11:17:54 AM »
I also made caramelized carrots with honey and cilantro, it's my new favorite way to cook carrots. Should be up on the blog soon.

Can't wait, the only way I can get my wife to eat cooked carrots is to candy them. The recipe I make uses walnuts, pineapple bits and orange segments.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:20:35 AM by Antares »

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1566 on: January 10, 2012, 06:41:16 PM »
I also made caramelized carrots with honey and cilantro, it's my new favorite way to cook carrots.
Sounds so good!  I'll try it.

Do you ever use freeze-dried cilantro instead of fresh? Unless it's summer or unless I plan ahead, I don't usually have fresh cilantro on hand.  Used some freeze-dried last night (for a cucumber-lemon relish - to go with a chicken tikki masala) and it was really good.

I've never used freeze dried, but I have used frozen (little cubes) and it is okay in cooked sauces or dishes, but I didn't like it how I would normally use cilantro, to kind of freshen up a dish.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1567 on: January 10, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
I had a big lunch, so I think I am just going to make some kale chips and have them for dinner.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1568 on: January 13, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »
I had a big lunch, so I think I am just going to make some kale chips and have them for dinner.

Will that go on your blog ses? I can't even imagine how to make a kale chip.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1569 on: January 17, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »
Flounder, lightly breaded with wheat germ and baked. Served on a bed of brown rice and peas. Covered with a mushroom vermouth cream sauce.

love