Author Topic: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me  (Read 209503 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me
« Reply #1620 on: July 13, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »
Just look at Antares's stove. You know he's pro. :)

When I was having my house built back in 2001, I did a ridiculous amount of research on professional stoves and ovens for the residential home. I wound up having to compromise on what I truly wanted, which was a 6 burner range top and two wall ovens, because of space limitations and budget worries. But then one day, a salesman showed me a Thermador 4 burner stove with a two burner intermittent firing system and a convection oven. I was sold and I have to admit that it was the best thing I've ever purchased. When friends come over and I'm cooking something, they stare at the burners as they intermittently fire what I'm cooking. Ever since I've purchased this, not once have I burnt a simmering sauce or a rice dish. It is the most functional way to cook and I'm surprised more companies don't offer that option.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1621 on: July 13, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »
Kale. Always f-cking kale.

Turnip greens here. :D How do we get an invite over to Antares'?

@ Antares! So amazing looking. Thanks for sharing the photos. I've never heard of an intermittent firing system stove before.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1622 on: July 13, 2012, 08:56:52 PM »
I've never heard of an intermittent firing system stove before.

You have settings on the dial for the two left burners which allow you to fire the gas for 8 seconds out of every minute, with increasing intervals up to 40 seconds of every minute, depending on how long you want it to heat. It comes in handy when I want to slow simmer a pasta sauce and I don't want to stay home all day to watch it. That's when I use the lowest setting, I set it, and come back later and the sauce isn't burned, but is completely cooked. Before I bought this stove, I use to use Crock pots for long, slow simmering meals, but for the last 10 years, that Crock pot has been gathering dust in my cellar.  ;) But I mainly like it because if I've forgotten an ingredient, I can switch it on, and pop on down to the market and not have to stop cooking.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1623 on: July 13, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
Looks like too much celery and water chestnut for my tastes.  I think I will have some Chinese food tomorrow though (the way us lazy folk do it... take-out).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1624 on: July 13, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »
Your stove nerdery is awesome. I had no idea that kind of a feature was available.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1625 on: July 13, 2012, 09:07:42 PM »
This very educational thread:)  I plan to start looking for a condo towards the end of this year, I will want one of these now when I remodel the place.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1626 on: July 13, 2012, 09:10:56 PM »
Looks like too much celery and water chestnut for my tastes.

The more vegetables, the better the gravy.

I'm surprised no one has asked me what's in the mason jar. When I first started living with my wife, she was all freaked out about it.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1627 on: July 13, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
Your stove nerdery is awesome. I had no idea that kind of a feature was available.

I think Thermador now calls it Extra Low Burners as opposed to intermittent burners.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1628 on: July 14, 2012, 04:22:07 PM »
I'm surprised no one has asked me what's in the mason jar. When I first started living with my wife, she was all freaked out about it.

I thought it was cornstarch and water and now I am curious.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1629 on: July 14, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »

I thought it was cornstarch and water and now I am curious.

It does kind of look like cornstarch and water, but it isn't, it's rendered pork fat, which I almost exclusively cook with. When I first started living with my wife twenty years ago, she was completely aghast at the various rendered oils that I started keeping in the refrigerator. At any given time, there would be bacon fat, rendered leaf lard, rendered pancetta and rendered salt pork, plus a jar of achiotina (lard with annato seeds) for latino dishes.

My wife has never been big on meat items, especially pork products, but with time, I've taught her the wonders of swine. She now asks me to make dishes with Italian sausage, Spanish chorizo and Portuguese linguica & chourico. I'm not a religious person, in fact I'm an atheist, but if there is a God, then I thank him for creating the pig.

love