love

Author Topic: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me  (Read 209629 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me
« Reply #1640 on: July 19, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »
Decided to utilize some of the herbs in our garden today for dinner. Made Balsamic, Garlic and Herb (Rosemary, Sage, Lemon Thyme & Basil) Chicken Breasts, served with Zucchini (Also from the garden) sauteed in my glorious Garlic butter. I tried to get my wife to plant garlic last autumn, but she never got around to it. This is an oversight that won't happen this fall.

We're slicing into the cherry pie in about 45 minutes for dessert, unfortunately, I never got around to making the vanilla ice cream.  :(
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1641 on: July 25, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »
So when I made the dish listed in the previous post, my wife blurted out that mushrooms would have made it even better. I then said to her, to bad you're not into Marsala wine sauce, to which she informed me that it was one of her favorite things to order in Italian restaurants. Which is funny, because I can't really recall her ordering anything with that sauce in the twenty plus years I've been with her. But that being said, it infused me with such fervor that the next day I went to a liquor store and purchased a bottle of Florio Sweet Marsala wine.

So tonight we had Chicken with Mushroom Marsala sauce and the same vegetable as listed above. But what also made this meal fantastic was a bottle of wine, that twenty years ago in my wine snob days, I'd have never touched. About 10 years ago, my wife came home with this New York varietal, which I looked upon with scorn. But after tasting it, I was hooked. It's a table wine with Riesling sweetness, but also the crispness of a Sauvignon blanc. My old wine snob friends would look upon me with derision for drinking such a pedestrian wine, but screw them, it tastes great! If you can find it, I highly recommend it, and what puts the cherry on top is that it sells for about $9 a bottle. They also make a wonderful, fruit forward table red that it it not only fantastic to drink, but cooks well too.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:15:59 PM by Antares »
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1642 on: July 25, 2012, 06:27:15 PM »
I want to eat dinner at your house, Antares. Again.  :)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1643 on: July 25, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »
Thanks, and if you want the recipe, I'd gladly post it. I learned a few tricks many years ago pertaining to Marsala sauce, and I firmly believe that it can't be bested.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1644 on: July 25, 2012, 06:37:29 PM »
Thanks, and if you want the recipe, I'd gladly post it.
Yes, please!

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1645 on: July 25, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
Thanks, and if you want the recipe, I'd gladly post it. I learned a few tricks many years ago pertaining to Marsala sauce, and I firmly believe that it can't be bested.

There is a recipe thread around here somewhere I thought.  You might just want to dedicate a few days over there for the benefit of some of us pretenders

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1646 on: July 25, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »

There is a recipe thread around here somewhere I thought.  You might just want to dedicate a few days over there for the benefit of some of us pretenders

Here's the recipe thread.
Texan Down Under

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1647 on: July 25, 2012, 09:08:34 PM »

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1648 on: July 25, 2012, 09:13:15 PM »

Here's the recipe thread.

What this forum really needs is a way to bookmark specific threads. I keep forgetting about that thread. Thanks for posting it.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1649 on: September 07, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »
Soaking some raisins in Gosling rum and brown sugar. I'm going to make a Rum-Raisin Apple pie on Tuesday, and by then the raisins should quite plump and tasty.

love