Author Topic: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me  (Read 209483 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me
« Reply #1660 on: September 11, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »
That pie does indeed look amazing.

And it's one of those things I'll probably never make - since I'm the only person in my family who understands the yumminess of raisins. :(  (Of course, I could just eat the whole thing myself, I suppose.)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1661 on: September 14, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »
We've had sunny, beautifully warm days this September, but the plums are ripe on my tree and the mornings have that crisp bite in the air, so it's an autumnal dinner tonight:

Smoky Beef Stew with Blue Cheese and Chives, a freshly baked loaf of crusty bread, and Plum Oatmeal Crisp to follow.

(Incidentally, anyone have another good recipe that calls for blue cheese? Friend of mine brought me a gorgeous pound of it yesterday - leftover from a gathering associated with the co-op of local organic dairy farmers she's a part of. I made a potato, onion, thyme, blue cheese fritatta last night, and was thinking of doing a variation on this Creamy Stilton Soup tomorrow, but beyond sprinkling blue cheese on my green salads, my recipe box doesn't have too much in the way of blue cheese.)

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #1662 on: September 15, 2012, 08:03:24 PM »
(Incidentally, anyone have another good recipe that calls for blue cheese?

I once had a risoni, Gorgonzola, onion, and spinach dish I liked. (I could guess at the recipe, but whatever your interpretation of that vague description would probably be better.)

It's also really good sprinkled (with minced garlic) over pan-fried zucchini and fire-roasted tomatoes.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1663 on: September 16, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »
(Incidentally, anyone have another good recipe that calls for blue cheese?

I once had a risoni, Gorgonzola, onion, and spinach dish I liked. (I could guess at the recipe, but whatever your interpretation of that vague description would probably be better.)

It's also really good sprinkled (with minced garlic) over pan-fried zucchini and fire-roasted tomatoes.
Both sound yummy - thank-you! And I've got lots of zucchini in my garden at the moment - too much, to be honest - so a zucchini dish would be perfect.

Devil

« Reply #1664 on: September 18, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
I've been lazy with doing actual cooking due to... well laziness, so actually made myself a real dinner. Made Chicken-Bacon Penne Alfredo and it was delicious. Made up the recipe as I went along as I normally do for everything, I forget sometimes that I can actually cook quite well, I think I just need to find someone to cook for to inspire me.
~You never say, "I'm gonna fight you, Steve." You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him~

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1665 on: September 19, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
I've been lazy with doing actual cooking due to... well laziness, so actually made myself a real dinner. Made Chicken-Bacon Penne Alfredo and it was delicious. Made up the recipe as I went along as I normally do for everything, I forget sometimes that I can actually cook quite well, I think I just need to find someone to cook for to inspire me.

Where did you learn how to cook Devil?

Devil

« Reply #1666 on: September 19, 2012, 04:11:01 PM »

Where did you learn how to cook Devil?

My dad's a really good cook so he tried to teach me as best he could. I was somewhat apathetic as a teenager to his teachings but I guess I was paying more attention than I thought
~You never say, "I'm gonna fight you, Steve." You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him~

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1667 on: September 19, 2012, 11:46:37 PM »
As a mom, that gives me hope. :)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1668 on: September 21, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
Chicken Marsala with Herb Roasted Delicata Squash
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1669 on: September 28, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
It's that time of year again, when the weather gets cold enough to break out the GraniteWare roaster, and make a gigantic batch of my infamous AppleJack Baked Beans. Basically, it's a doctored version of Boston Baked Beans, but instead of cooking the beans in water, you use a half gallon of Apple Cider and add Apple Butter along side the molasses and brown sugar. I've been making these for about 10 years now, and I've finally got the recipe perfect. When finished, I have enough to freeze, and eat over the course of the following year.

Making them a little bit earlier this year as last year's batch ran out last week. It's been cooking for a little over three hours now and the house is starting to get that autumn cooking smell.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

love