Author Topic: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me  (Read 209541 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me
« Reply #1860 on: January 16, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »
I liked the sliced variety, for adding to tacos or sandwiches.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1861 on: January 16, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Are those kidney beans inside? I would add to the list, simple dressings like Ranch or Italian.
Yup, kidney beans. I'll definitely try dressings once I get some tomatoes.

Sorry is there cheese in the sandwiches? We have Branston's Pickle here that goes well with ham or cheese. If it's mainly salad/ lettuce I'd go with Caesar Salad Dressing or even dip it in humous........or all three. :o  I thought that was what sauerkraut was for.
The aforementioned beans aside, it's only green stuff. I put cream cheese on some, mostly to make it stick. Also tried mustard but it's not great without either fish or meat. Is Branston's different from other pickles?
And Sauerkraut is overrated :P
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1862 on: January 16, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »
Whoa! Did you bottle those verbALs?! It looks like coriander or peppercorns. hmmm...

I look for those too. :)

Sauerkraut?! Overrated?!  "I'm shocked, shocked!"

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #1863 on: January 16, 2014, 02:00:32 PM »
They are either mustard seeds or coriander seeds. I would eat one pickled onion a year so I wouldn't waste time making them.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #1864 on: January 16, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »
Another night, another pork chop.

My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1865 on: January 21, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »
What do you do when there's a snow storm outside and your local market has pre-made Pillsbury pie crusts on sale for 99 cents?.....

YOU BAKE!!!

Wild Maine Blueberry Pie

Can't wait to cut into this baby after it cools for a few hours. I tasted the overflow on the edge and it has the exact amount of sweetness I was looking for.

I never was much into the baking part of the culinary arts, but as I get older, I'm trying to rectify this shortcoming in my skills. I've warned my wife to be afraid...very afraid, because if I can master this aspect of cooking like I have appetizers, soups and entrees, she's in trouble. She doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, but she still can't refuse it.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1866 on: January 21, 2014, 11:51:24 AM »
 :))

I'd be a goner for sure! You'll just have to take her along on your power hikes, Antares. It's a beautiful pie.

don s. I missed your dinner! How about a quick lesson on how to make that perfect pork chop? Is it polenta underneath?

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #1867 on: January 21, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »
Sandy, I cook the chops (somewhat thick ones) on a rack in the oven at 275°F until they reach an internal temperature of 120°F. Then I stick 'em in a hot pan to brown them (and raise the internal temp to a higher, safer level). (I also used the drippings in the pan to make the mustard sauce you see drizzled over the, yes, polenta: minced shallots cooked in the fat, deglazed with dry vermouth or white wine, dollop of whole grain Dijon mustard, splash of cream).
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1868 on: January 23, 2014, 12:57:13 AM »
Thanks don s. !

I've copied your instructions and will give it a go. This is high level cooking. :)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1869 on: February 05, 2014, 04:47:27 PM »
I was making my way through the market today, when I caught a glance of Baby Back Ribs on sale for $2.99/lb. I haven't seen them that cheap in close to 15 years. So I picked up two full racks, each a little over 2lbs. in weight. Here's the result...

Sadly, I don't own a smoker, so I had to prep them the blasphemous way...slow simmering in water. But when they were done, I took the broth and reduced it and made the BBQ sauce from scratch, which you see in the bowl. It was a killer sauce, highlighted with Spiracha and Chipotle sauce. Quick flash in the convection oven and voila! The Angry Orchard Hard Cider went well with the meal too.

And finally... I have come to the realization that I'm getting old, because fifteen years ago, I could have polished off both rack of ribs with no problem. I had a hard time finishing a little over 1 rack. But, my two little dachshunds were happy over this dilemma.  ;)
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

love