love

Author Topic: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me  (Read 209480 times)

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
Re: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2008, 10:09:38 PM »
I wish I had time to develop my cooking skills. When I was off work for a summer I grew my own vegetables and cooked all the time, but since I started working 40+ hours a week, I can't do it. Actually it isn't the cooking I mind, but the grocery shopping and dishes. Plus I find myself starving when I get home and too hungry to put on a production.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2008, 10:12:21 PM »
I usually do my shopping on the weekends or during lunch, since I am by a Treasure Island and a Trader Joe's.  I then plan my meals for the week so I know what I am cooking on what day.  It's the only way I know that I will cook all week.  Even then, some nights I just don't feel like cooking.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

winrit

• Elite Member
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2008, 10:22:04 PM »
I usually do my shopping on the weekends or during lunch, since I am by a Treasure Island and a Trader Joe's.  I then plan my meals for the week so I know what I am cooking on what day.  It's the only way I know that I will cook all week.  Even then, some nights I just don't feel like cooking.

I did try planning meals for the week. You ever find yourself following a recipe that calls for a tablespoon of tomato paste and a 1/4 cup of chicken broth and then having a whole can of tomato paste and chicken broth leftover. Then scouring cookbooks for recipes that call for tomato paste and chicken broth, so as not to waste tomato paste and chicken broth. This is why I gave up on cooking.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2008, 10:23:15 PM »

I did try planning meals for the week. You ever find yourself following a recipe that calls for a tablespoon of tomato paste and a 1/4 cup of chicken broth and then having a whole can of tomato paste and chicken broth leftover. Then scouring cookbooks for recipes that call for tomato paste and chicken broth, so as not to waste tomato paste and chicken broth. This is why I gave up on cooking.

I end up just making massive batches.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2008, 10:24:19 PM »

You have to get tomato paste that comes in a tube, then you can store it in a fridge, and it lasts forever.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2008, 10:24:54 PM »
I usually do my shopping on the weekends or during lunch, since I am by a Treasure Island and a Trader Joe's.  I then plan my meals for the week so I know what I am cooking on what day.  It's the only way I know that I will cook all week. 

That's when I've generally done my best cooking, too - I'll plan a week in advance and get all my shopping done for that week. I love seeing my frig full of fresh veggies and herbs and meats things - all ready for me to make something delish. But that kind of planning/cooking goes in fits and starts. I'm not in that mode right now. These days, most of the time, I start looking in the frig and cupboards around 5 or 6 and just throw something together.  :(

Love the idea of growing one's own vegetables, winrit.  :) I always try to scrounge off my father-in-law who does a huge, gorgeous garden every summer.

Tomato paste in a tube? Huh, never seen that - that sounds great.

winrit

• Elite Member
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2008, 10:34:21 PM »
Growing your own vegetables is definitely trial and error. For example, I quit growing squash because squash take up huge amounts of space for about 6 fruits that I could have easily walked down to the farmers' market to buy. However, celery, spinach, and onions can easily be grown in a pot, are impossible to kill, produce lots, and can go in a lot of dishes. One year the squirrels ate all my lettuce, but they have no love for spinach.  :)

The nice thing about gardening is it gives you something to do for years while you're perfecting your techniques.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2008, 10:45:55 PM »
Growing your own vegetables is definitely trial and error. For example, I quit growing squash because squash take up huge amounts of space for about 6 fruits that I could have easily walked down to the farmers' market to buy. However, celery, spinach, and onions can easily be grown in a pot, are impossible to kill, produce lots, and can go in a lot of dishes. One year the squirrels ate all my lettuce, but they have no love for spinach.  :)

The nice thing about gardening is it gives you something to do for years while you're perfecting your techniques.

That does sound like a nice thing.  :)  I like the idea of perfecting something over years - it lends a kind of rhythm and permanency or something to one's life.

As to the spinach and other veggies - we probably have other things that grow best around here. Tomatoes do terribly - potatoes, squash, and cucumbers very well indeed. And we have to deal with lots of slugs - ugh. My mom always had a garden when I was growing up, and I remember picking through slug-chewed spinach  and washing little sluglets off the leaves during dinner prep.  :)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »
Crab cakes and a field greens salad with a champagne vinegar dressing, all homemade.  And a nice Sauvignon Blanc.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2008, 07:25:56 PM »
Crab cakes and a field greens salad with a champagne vinegar dressing, all homemade.  And a nice Sauvignon Blanc.

When you have the time, will you put your crab cake recipe (method) in the Recipe Box please?  And which SB? 
Texan Down Under