love

Author Topic: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me  (Read 209493 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me
« Reply #2200 on: April 02, 2017, 02:29:38 AM »
Thanks, checking them out on Amazon. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2201 on: March 09, 2018, 06:02:14 PM »
I'll move this conversation with DH here as it would seem a better place...

I actually made a chicken teriyaki for lunch earlier. It was quite good, I'll just have to get cornstarch next time and adjust the quantities. I was pleasantly suprised to find sesame seeds on the counter. I also made a katsudon last week and I've now tried making ramen twice. It's not all Japanese though, I have noodles at home I've been cooking with the help of my wok. Last thing I did was chicken with vegetables and a Thai curry paste.

There are other things too. I've done Indian curries in the past but in the future I will try some Thai or Japanese curries. I would love to be able to replicate a hearty food court Japanese curry.

I like Pailin's Kitchen channel on Youtube as a guide for a lot of Thai dishes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC27C_HWo-UmKkdWGsRJZ8EA

Personal fav:

Thai Holy Basil Stir-Fry Recipe (Pad Gaprao):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_9rDq2gGmg&t=48s

Once you get this one day, it is simple and fast to prepare. I usually make a big batch of it once or twice a week though I often don't eat it with rice which is probably sacrilege.  The avocado is my thing, not Thai style

This BBQ pork is also amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzu_cz_IBV8&t=179s

I usually do it with a different dipping sauce that is often used for chicken but most of my friends prefer it

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/thai-style-chili-lime-and-cilantro-dipping-sauce-recipe.html

Since I don't have a BBQ at home, I put the pork on a cast iron skillet under the broiler in the oven which actually seems to work better as you can put more of the sauce on when you have to flip it.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #2202 on: March 09, 2018, 08:52:45 PM »
Ooooohhhhh Pork Jowls, one of my favorites!!! I just subscribed to her channel, I love Thai food.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2203 on: March 09, 2018, 10:00:52 PM »
I don't know what happened this morning but when I was frying some eggs (sunny side up), one of the yolks like just kina "popped" and splatted halfway across the pan, leaving a yolk sized crater in the middle of the egg whites. Very odd experience. I took a bit out of that egg when it was done... it didn't taste right. Looked normal though. Didn't make me sick. /offmychest

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2204 on: March 10, 2018, 05:18:47 AM »
I'll check that channel out jdc, thanks. I could certainly use more Thai food on my life.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2205 on: February 19, 2019, 12:12:21 AM »
I saw them just before being served and what was served on the place still made a decent attempt to escape after being served. Respect to the guy from Old Boy to being able to eat one live (whole).

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2206 on: February 19, 2019, 12:54:56 AM »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2207 on: February 19, 2019, 01:02:25 AM »
Yeap.  I manage to eat 1 followed by a few gulps of beer to wash it down. 

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2208 on: February 19, 2019, 01:03:53 AM »
I'm impressed!

(and nauseated)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2209 on: February 19, 2019, 01:08:09 AM »
I do at least try most of the time, but a few things are off-limits if I know what they are.