Author Topic: No Country for Old Men  (Read 36206 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: No Country for Old Men
« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
Bardem didn't deserve as much recognition as Brolin did. Brolin played a living breathing person, I know that guy, that guy went to school with my dad, I see that guy at the Legion every once and a while.

I agree with you, though Bardem was also impressive.  I particularly loved how Brolin did so much of his acting with body gestures and facial expressions.  I actually thought that the best character was Tommy Lee Johns as Sheriff Bell, I swear that role was written with him in mind.  I completely bought him as Bell, despite the fact that his role was severely chopped from the novel.
Iíve lied to men who wear belts. Iíve lied to men who wear suspenders. But Iíd never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »
Maybe because Tommy Lee Jones was reared in West Texas and spends a lot of time there, he "fit" the part.
Texan Down Under

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #212 on: May 01, 2009, 12:05:50 AM »

If you lived here I think you would understand the brilliance of Brolin's character.

I actually have an uncle who grew up in that area, and he sounds exactly like Josh Brolin in No Country. Not just the accent, he's got the exact same voice and delivery. If you close your eyes and just listen to him, the resemblance is uncanny.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2009, 10:04:50 AM »

If you lived here I think you would understand the brilliance of Brolin's character.

I actually have an uncle who grew up in that area, and he sounds exactly like Josh Brolin in No Country. Not just the accent, he's got the exact same voice and delivery. If you close your eyes and just listen to him, the resemblance is uncanny.

I think I could listen to your uncle tell stories for hours.

I've spent a lot of time in rural West Texas and New Mexico with my job: Odessa, Ft Stockton, Arlington, Midland, etc.  I swear I've been to that exact gas station (the one with the coin flip)  I've really come to appreciate that area that I live in the Northwest.   Everything from the people, the towns, and even weather in this movie are spot-on what I know of that area.   So I don't know if the credit goes to Cormac Mccarthy for painting such great pictures in his novel, or the Coens for rendering them so accurately.

The credit that assuredly goes to the Coens is how the weather is portrayed.  Like this scene:

I don't know if they planned that scene around the weather or just got lucky that day of shooting, but either way it's stuff like this that elevates this film from very good to great.

Another great touch are the cattle guards and fences.  I always found it interesting that even out there in the middle of the scrub desert there would be this gate in front of the dirty road - still pretty important to folks were the property border was.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:09:27 AM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Variable

• Stroke Me Lady Fame
« Reply #214 on: May 03, 2009, 04:11:52 PM »
Coens do have a flair for local color, I'm certainly willing to give them the credit.

though I haven't read the novel  :(

masterofsparks

« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2009, 12:26:06 PM »
I agree with the folks who say that Tommy Lee Jones is the heart of the movie. The film (and novel) feels to me like it's about the nature of evil - the Bardem character as some kind of newer, deeper evil and Jones as the man who, as he ages, feels less and less able to comprehend evil itself. In that regard, Jones's character is clearly the film's center, and I think he give the film's best performance.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2009, 12:36:35 PM »
I agree with the folks who say that Tommy Lee Jones is the heart of the movie. The film (and novel) feels to me like it's about the nature of evil - the Bardem character as some kind of newer, deeper evil and Jones as the man who, as he ages, feels less and less able to comprehend evil itself. In that regard, Jones's character is clearly the film's center, and I think he give the film's best performance.

Good to see this thread pop up again. 

I think you're right.  As much as I love the other two lead performances, you don't appreciate TLJ's performance until you start trying to think of someone else to put in that role...who else would have fit? 

But it's a credit to the directors that all the roles were so spot on.  I don't know if it's casting or direction or a combination of the two, but you rarely see a fish out of water in a Coen Bros joint.  I was thinking of Kelly Macdonald when I wrote this.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »
I love the details of the movie so much. Notice a scene early on in the film when Josh Brolin as Moss is hunting pronghorn (A prime opportunity), he shoots, wounding one, and then walks over to the location and sees it's left a trail of blood. He then looks on in his binoculars and sees a dog galloping off into the distance, only to look back once, before continuing. Kind of sets up the whole movie nicely, I think.

I have my own theories about the film. Maybe I'll post them soon.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #218 on: October 22, 2009, 01:04:24 PM »
Wow.  I just watched this movie last night.  I can't stop thinking about it.

I thought I would hate it!  I was *sure* I would hate it.  But I really like it.  I... I... I think I... I think I love it. 

Now I have to read all of these posts in this thread to see what y'all thought.  Make sure I'm not a deviant of some sort for liking this movie. 

Crap.  I love a violent movie.  My soul must be so jaded... Prolly when I die I'll just go straight to hell.
The answers you seek are in Norway.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2009, 01:08:13 PM »
Wow.  I just watched this movie last night.  I can't stop thinking about it.

I thought I would hate it!  I was *sure* I would hate it.  But I really like it.  I... I... I think I... I think I love it. 

Now I have to read all of these posts in this thread to see what y'all thought.  Make sure I'm not a deviant of some sort for liking this movie. 

Crap.  I love a violent movie.  My soul must be so jaded... Prolly when I die I'll just go straight to hell.

Glad you revived this thread.  I love talking about this movie.

I'm NOT into violent movies at all, but I still LOVE this one. 

What I love most is how true it is to the original source material.  The novel is a pretty quick read and I recommend it to anyone who dug the film.
(switchboard)