love

Author Topic: No Country for Old Men  (Read 48723 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: No Country for Old Men
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2009, 01:09:03 PM »
Wow.  I just watched this movie last night.  I can't stop thinking about it.

I love this feeling.  I have it right now for Where the Wild Things Are.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2009, 04:27:45 PM »

I love this feeling.  I have it right now for Where the Wild Things AreThe Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2009, 04:29:12 PM »

I thought I would hate it!  I was *sure* I would hate it.  But I really like it.  I... I... I think I... I think I love it. 

Now I have to read all of these posts in this thread to see what y'all thought.  Make sure I'm not a deviant of some sort for liking this movie. 

Crap.  I love a violent movie.  My soul must be so jaded... Prolly when I die I'll just go straight to hell.

No worries. That means a lot of people, me included, are going straight to hell.

This movie is so magnificent, not only because it's perfectly structured and paced, but the Coen's craft is, much more then their other movies, completely their own and marvelous to behold.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #223 on: October 24, 2009, 12:33:51 AM »

I thought I would hate it!  I was *sure* I would hate it.  But I really like it.  I... I... I think I... I think I love it. 

Now I have to read all of these posts in this thread to see what y'all thought.  Make sure I'm not a deviant of some sort for liking this movie. 

Crap.  I love a violent movie.  My soul must be so jaded... Prolly when I die I'll just go straight to hell.

No worries. That means a lot of people, me included, are going straight to hell.

This movie is so magnificent, not only because it's perfectly structured and paced, but the Coen's craft is, much more then their other movies, completely their own and marvelous to behold.
Yes, the pacing really works.

Chigurh in that first motel room, looking for the briefcase... *shiver*.  There is a moment-- where he looks up at the air duct, and we are looking at the back of his head-- when you *know* he is going to find it. 

I nearly stopped breathing.  I knew in that instant that there was simply no hiding from this monster.

The way this scene is created---I dunno what happens to make it so powerful.  It was dark, chilling, glossy, quiet, steady.  I loved it.

The answers you seek are in Norway.

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2009, 12:38:35 AM »

Glad you revived this thread.  I love talking about this movie.

I'm NOT into violent movies at all, but I still LOVE this one. 

What I love most is how true it is to the original source material.  The novel is a pretty quick read and I recommend it to anyone who dug the film.
Yeah!  I need to read it.  I read "All the Pretty Horses" years and years ago, liked it.  I live in the West, love the landscape, love the space and all the "dark desert highway" scenery.  I wonder if I can find NCFOM on Audible... hm...
The answers you seek are in Norway.

Variable

• Stroke Me Lady Fame
« Reply #225 on: November 07, 2009, 08:56:10 PM »
what's your favorite scene/part?

I absolutely love when he blows up the car, robs the pharmacy, and badnages himself. I can't explain why. it's so absolutely perfect.

I may even have already mentioned it in here, I love it that much, but I figured I'd ask what everyone else thought.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #226 on: November 08, 2009, 01:22:31 AM »

I absolutely love when he blows up the car, robs the pharmacy, and badnages himself. I can't explain why. it's so absolutely perfect.

I may even have already mentioned it in here, I love it that much, but I figured I'd ask what everyone else thought.

I agree. The way he walks away from that explosion with such determination. There is a calm and cool about everything he does, and in that sequence it is even more magnified.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2009, 02:41:30 PM »

I agree. The way he walks away from that explosion with such determination. There is a calm and cool about everything he does, and in that sequence it is even more magnified.

The whole early section of Josh Brolin hunting and tracking down the loot.  I love the time the movie took with this.  This is a situation that I think anyone else would have just gotten the heck out there hoping they didn't get seen, but this guy has this ignorant confidence that I just strangely admire.  He knows sometime bad went down and there's some money lose somewhere and he's gonna get it.

You add to this the fact that he goes back to bring water to that dude.  Adds such a strange human component.  You know he was just lying in bed thinking of that guy and just couldn't help but do something.

I love EVERY SECOND that Tommy Lee Jones is on screen.  I think the audience grabs onto his character like a little kids clings to his dad in a haunted house.  Even when TLJ get's fatalistic and and skeptical, there is just a weight and deliberance to him that you just feel like it's gonna be ok, when intellectually you know it's just not.

Very cool
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »

Tommy Lee Jones' face and eye movement after delivering the film's final line and the cut to black.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2009, 04:18:47 PM »
Bardem stalking Brolin in the hotel sequence. 

love