love

Author Topic: No Country for Old Men  (Read 48720 times)

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
Re: No Country for Old Men
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2007, 02:23:28 PM »
To be brief - you can't stop what's coming
A$AP Fables

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2007, 03:25:23 PM »
To be brief - you can't stop what's coming

Agree.  I understand Bardem's character, Chigurh (what does that mean?), as personifying Chance, which can't be stopped.  The choice to linger on the green light suggests the freakery of the accident, there is never any doubt that Chigurh is going to walk away from the accident and not get caught. 
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

TomSt

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2007, 08:02:09 PM »
I'm going to have to be one of the voices of dissent and say that I found this movie a little disappointing.  Part of that may have been the hype (I thought I had overcome my absolute love for Fargo and had accepted that the Coen brothers would never make it's equal, but I will admit that the reviews for this one instilled in me a moment of hope), but the other part is that the first third of No Country For Old Men is pretty great.  It just felt like there weren't enough new elements being introduced as the film went on.  I guess I just didn't find Chigurh as fascinating as other people and the cat and mouse between him and Brolin's character didn't seem well thought out or well explained.  How did Chigurh find Brolin at those two hotels (before coming in range of the transmitter)?  I can imagine a movie effectively making use of a character's seemingly superhuman abilities to create terror in another, but the movie seemed to be relying too much on Chigurh's methods for it's entertainment to get away with being vague in this area.  And then, you know, I thought there were deficiencies in other areas as well...

Just curious.  What are people's opinion on something like A Simple Plan vs. No Country For Old Men?

Osprey

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2007, 11:27:26 PM »
I would agree.  There are all kinds of weird idosyncracies about the movie... like the Lidocaine bottles and syringes that Chigurh (?) uses look exactly like the ones in use today.  No way!  That totally destroyed my suspension of disbelief.  Also, the first motel that Moss stays at?  It has HBO?  In 1980?  Nuh uh!

Seriously though, why did this apparently hard bitten Moss guy decide to go back and give water to the Mexican in the middle of the night?  A lot of pulp fiction elements to this movie, and I'm not sure that it should have any higher aspirations

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2007, 11:33:32 PM »
Seriously though, why did this apparently hard bitten Moss guy decide to go back and give water to the Mexican in the middle of the night?  A lot of pulp fiction elements to this movie, and I'm not sure that it should have any higher aspirations

I thought the water bit actually made sense, I thought he was supposed to be a relatively decent guy  The Woody H character was totally unnecessary and dragged the film down for various reasons.

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Osprey

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2007, 11:47:21 PM »
In the middle of the night? Who in their right mind would go back to a slaughter with God knows who around?  It strains credibility.  This is apart from the fact that it's been hours since you were there, and the man you are bringing the water to is almost certainly dead because you didn't get him any medical attention.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 12:15:12 AM »
I thought it was pretty clear that he couldn't sleep because he felt bad about leaving the guy for dead.  Moss had a conscience.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 12:18:26 AM »
Also, the first motel that Moss stays at?  It has HBO?  In 1980?  Nuh uh!

Why would it not have HBO in 1980?
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Osprey

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 12:23:28 AM »
That's fine.  People feel guilty all the time.  Going back to the scene was nuts.  He even says it as he's leaving.

I thought it was pretty clear that he couldn't sleep because he felt bad about leaving the guy for dead.  Moss had a conscience.

Osprey

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 12:24:12 AM »
Was there cable in West Texas in 1980?

Also, the first motel that Moss stays at?  It has HBO?  In 1980?  Nuh uh!

Why would it not have HBO in 1980?