love

Author Topic: No Country for Old Men  (Read 48703 times)

enzobot24

Re: No Country for Old Men
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 01:19:48 AM »
Well, HBO was made in 1972... so it isn't farfetched.

Also, the design of syringes haven't changed much since the 1940s.
Most recent DVD purchase: A Very Long Engagement
Most recent Blu-ray purchase: Paprika

andyg

• My Site
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2007, 01:20:36 AM »
I would agree.  There are all kinds of weird idosyncracies about the movie... like the Lidocaine bottles and syringes that Chigurh (?) uses look exactly like the ones in use today.  No way!  That totally destroyed my suspension of disbelief.  Also, the first motel that Moss stays at?  It has HBO?  In 1980?  Nuh uh!

Seriously though, why did this apparently hard bitten Moss guy decide to go back and give water to the Mexican in the middle of the night?  A lot of pulp fiction elements to this movie, and I'm not sure that it should have any higher aspirations

Well, in regard to the syringes and HBO in 1980, Im pretty sure that only an teeny weeny percentage of any audience would pick up on such a thing. (In fact, I had no memory that it was set in 1980 anyway!)

Also, the thing with the water is to show that hes not as hard bitten as you might think. At this point in the film we barely even know the guy, right? This is an act that, among others, illustrates that hes not a bad guy.

Having said that now that the film has settled down a bit Im thinking thats maybe its not as good as I first imagined.It has a lot of great scenes but Im not sure anymore that the film as a whole is quite as good as some are making out. I think I need to see it again to make sure :)

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 01:29:33 AM »
Having said that now that the film has settled down a bit Im thinking thats maybe its not as good as I first imagined.It has a lot of great scenes but Im not sure anymore that the film as a whole is quite as good as some are making out. I think I need to see it again to make sure :)

no. it's that great.  ;)
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Osprey

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2007, 01:47:56 AM »
I maintain that this is a good noir that is being blown out of proportion due to who directed it.

scooterb23

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2007, 07:27:52 PM »
First off, let me say how much I love the fact that the week of it's wide opening...the city I live closest to only has 2 places pick it up, in a town with 23 theaters followed by movietickets.com, 2 grab NCFOM, thanks.  I had a similar rant when Shoot 'Em Up came out, I think 1 place got it, and due to a funeral I had to go to, I missed my movie day that week, and the next week the movie was gone.  That's for another rant though.

Now, here is my film n00b confession.  Before yesterday, I've only seen 1 Coen Brothers movie all the way through (Hudsucker Proxy).  I've seen bits of a few others, but their name being attached to the movie didn't mean a ton to me.  Having said that, I really loved this movie, and if it's still at the one place next week, I may go see it again. 

After watching it, I'm seeing a lot of people online confused (and on another forum) mad at the movie for the "open" ending.  Now, I'm not a terribly smart man, and I do tend to let my mind wander...making me sometimes miss important info.  But honestly, I felt like I got closure to this movie.  It may not be the kind of closure I want and or expect out of a movie, but I gathered as I was watching that this isn't a very typical movie...  I do feel like I got an ending, and that it wasn't left open as some have suggested.

I do wish I was paying a little bit more attention during Tommy Lee Jones' speech at the end, I feel like I missed something there. 

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2007, 07:34:05 PM »
First off, let me say how much I love the fact that the week of it's wide opening...the city I live closest to only has 2 places pick it up, in a town with 23 theaters followed by movietickets.com, 2 grab NCFOM, thanks.  I had a similar rant when Shoot 'Em Up came out, I think 1 place got it, and due to a funeral I had to go to, I missed my movie day that week, and the next week the movie was gone.  That's for another rant though.

Now, here is my film n00b confession.  Before yesterday, I've only seen 1 Coen Brothers movie all the way through (Hudsucker Proxy).  I've seen bits of a few others, but their name being attached to the movie didn't mean a ton to me.  Having said that, I really loved this movie, and if it's still at the one place next week, I may go see it again. 

After watching it, I'm seeing a lot of people online confused (and on another forum) mad at the movie for the "open" ending.  Now, I'm not a terribly smart man, and I do tend to let my mind wander...making me sometimes miss important info.  But honestly, I felt like I got closure to this movie.  It may not be the kind of closure I want and or expect out of a movie, but I gathered as I was watching that this isn't a very typical movie...  I do feel like I got an ending, and that it wasn't left open as some have suggested.

I do wish I was paying a little bit more attention during Tommy Lee Jones' speech at the end, I feel like I missed something there. 

Where do you live?  I'm just outside of Manhattan and only 1 theater near me had the movie this weekend...

andyg

• My Site
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2007, 07:53:08 PM »

Where do you live?  I'm just outside of Manhattan and only 1 theater near me had the movie this weekend...

Wide is still a relative term. Its still only on about a quarter of the screens that Enchanted is. While part of me thinks wouldnt they just make mroe money if they show it on more screens, I do understand that its an expensive risk to put out 3000 prints if most of the country is looking for some light entertainment.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2007, 08:01:16 PM »
I maintain that this is a good noir that is being blown out of proportion due to who directed it.
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. It's like saying everybody likes Death Proof because it has Tarantino's name on it. No, Death Proof is that good BECAUSE Tarantino directed it, just as No Country is that good BECAUSE the Coen Bros. directed it. I guess everyone just thought I was rambling during our review because every inch of that film is a Coen Bros. film.

And yeah, let's not overthink the water thing. Of course it was a little unbelievable. But you know what, I'd be that tortured by it. And if a movie with a character who is basically the grim reaper asks me to suspend disbelief a little, I'm fine with that. If that is bothering you then the whole movie isn't working for you... somehow.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 08:03:52 PM by Adam »
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

choatime

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2007, 08:16:34 PM »
I saw it in Nashville, TN, where it was only playing in only two theaters, but on two screens at the theater I saw it at.  It's playing at one theater here in Columbia.

It was packed when I saw it on Friday.   And it seemed a lot of them hated the ending.  Or maybe there were just the most vocal.   I don't know what they were complaining about.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2007, 09:00:01 PM »
The water thing didn't bother me, either. Maybe it would have on second viewing.

As for the ending, my audience also seemed to mostly hate it. One man in front of me even said "So the whole thing was a dream".
A$AP Fables