Author Topic: Top 5 Movies You Fell In/Out of Love With (aka Reconsiderations)  (Read 20865 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Top 5 Movies You Fell In/Out of Love With (aka Reconsiderations)
« on: November 13, 2007, 02:50:08 PM »
I think it generally takes at least five years to rank a movie properly.

sdedalus give me an idea for a pair of Top 5 lists:  5 movies you went from loving to hating to loving; and 5 movies you went from hating to loving.  "Hate" and "love" are probably too strong of words, as those kinds of polar shifts in opinion might be pretty rare — though not totally unheard of.  It seems like I'm always hearing how someone's favorite movie is one they hated the first time they saw it — which always raises the question, "If you hated it so much, why'd you watch it again?"  And they say, "Well, it was on tv, and I was bored..."  And you're like, "How sad for you, to be that bored. Don't you have any friends?"  And I'm they're like, "Shut up!"

Anyway.  That's the subject of these two lists:  Movies about which you reversed your opinion.

Have at it.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
Re: Top 5 Movies You Fell In/Out of Love With
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 03:08:18 PM »
well there are a lot that I've shifted on over the years, but the one that sticks out in my mind right now is Borat.  I didn't love it the 1st time I saw it, but I liked it and I thought it was funny.  Then I saw it again and I realized that it's a) not funny, b) not clever, and c) really mean spirited.

I do still love the scene where he tries to capture Pamela Anderson, though.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 03:10:33 PM »
L'Avventura I was baffled by on first viewing a decade ago, but I liked it a whole lot when I saw it again a few months back.

A Clockwork Orange I was bored by when I first saw it 13 years ago.  A few years after that I become totally enthralled by it, watching again and again.  Now, I'm largely indifferent to it.  It's good, but not as good as it was when I was 20.

Almost Famous I was indifferent to originally, then became obsessed with a couple years ago and now consider good, but not particularly great.

More recent films that have grown in my estimation through the passage of time and repeated viewings:

1. Dead Man
2. The Royal Tenenbaums/The Life Aquatic
3. The New World
4. Punch-Drunk Love
5. House Of Flying Daggers

The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 05:14:16 PM »
lost in translation

took marie antoinette for me to go rewatch it.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 05:24:27 PM »
L'Avventura I was baffled by on first viewing a decade ago, but I liked it a whole lot when I saw it again a few months back.

I had a somewhat similar experience with Blow Up (whoops, almost typed in a De Palma title by mistake).  Even though I liked it a fair amount on first viewing — and especially loved the two iconic scenes/sequences (darkroom, mimes) — there were a handful of scenes that left me baffled.  I couldn't even tell you what they were, though, because on every subsequent viewing, the movie's seemed pretty much perfect from beginning to end.

L'Avventura was a case where I admired a film more than I liked it.  Haven't gone back for a second viewing yet (I have some other Antonioni to catch up on first).

pixote
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 05:56:55 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 06:04:05 PM »
I watched the trilogy after he died (which is why I saw L'Avventura again).  Can't recommend L'Eclisse highly enough.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

PlantPage55

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:54:16 PM »
Disliked to Liked

1. Lost in Translation - I absolutely, 100% as much as humanly possible HATED this movie when I first saw it. Not only did it not hit a single one of the expectations that were laid out by the hype, nor did I like it as a movie aside from that. Then, for whatever ungodly reason (maybe, fate?), I sat through it again a few weeks ago. Now, I don't LOVE it - but I do admire it and I think the atmosphere and performances are actually pretty great. I like it.

2. Shaun of the Dead - I don't like zombie movies - or really, horror movies in general - so I wasn't IN to the whole SotD thing when I watched it with my mindless, gore loving friends. It wasn't until I watched it alone, untainted by idiocy, that I was able to really appreciate how funny and well-made this movie was.

3. The Truman Show - I initially thought that this was the end of Jim Carrey's career. Now looking back on it, the atmosphere created for this fake world was awesome. It's hard to describe, but they captured a world that was actually surreal by being so very normal. Throughout the whole movie, even before he has ANY idea that he is a TV show, Truman Burbank SEEMS like he's different from everyone else and it's actually more subtle than I remember.

4. Gone With the Wind - ha ha, this is funny to me. I HATED this movie throughout most of my life. But I guess I was immature, looking back on it. Now that I'm older, I really appreciate the complexities of the Scarlett/Rhett relationship and appreciate how impacting it probably was when it first came out. Rhett Butler is, quite simply, the man.

5. Babel - I thought it was okay when it first came out on DVD. The more I turned it over in my head and THOUGHT about it, without actually having to watch it again, I realized that I really did like it a lot. I bought it today for 8.99 at Best Buy as such.  ;D

PlantPage55

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 07:05:51 PM »
Movies I Liked and Dislike:

1. Scarface - Good God! This is where I can point to a clear change in the maturity of my tastes and sensibilities. I used to think this movie was cool for the violence, debauchery, and raunchy dialogue. I was just a kid, I guess - because while I can still enjoy all those things in a well-made movie - I don't appreciate them in an over-acted, over-blown cheese-fest. And that's, sadly, what Scarface is when I watch it today.   

2. Rounders - I thought it was fresh the first time I saw it, but watching it a second time I realized that this was ONLY because it's the most poker-focused movie I've ever seen. Aside from that, it is painfully cliched and by-the-numbers.

3. The Sixth Sense - Loved it, but you just can't watch it again.

4. Snatch - I thought it was super cool when it first came out; pretentious and jumbled every other time I've seen it. I can't seem to bring myself to buy it, even though it often goes on sale. Lock, Stock was executed MUCH better, IMO.

5. Full Metal Jacket - The first 2 sequences of the movie still hold up for me. But I don't like the characters enough to want to spend the whole movie with them any more.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »
1. American Beauty

I really enjoyed it the first time around.  Then seeing it again recently, I found it to be extremely aggravating.  I hate Annette Benning's performance, she is awful when she's doing over-the-top acting.  I hate Kevin Spacey's smugness.  I think Wes Bentley is a total, one-note actor.  What has he done since then that makes him so compelling with casting agents, CINECAST!ing Ghost Rider?  Chris Cooper and Thora Birch remained the only interesting characters throughout the entire film.  

2. Crash

I saw it on DVD with my mom and sister and was manipulated by its contrived plot.  When I saw it the second time around by myself.  I was becoming more and more aware of its flaws.  It went from a 4.5 film to 3, 2.5 movie.  It has its moments but ended up becoming extremely heavy-handed.

3. The Doors

When I was 13, I really thought it was a fascinating, surreal film.  Then about 7 years later, I hated it.  I do like Val Kilmer and Kyle McLachlan's performances as Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek, respectively.  I just found the entire film to be completely exaggerated and not very accurate to the times or have anything about Morrison at all.  I prefer Manzarek's book on the band.  His was more accurate.  

4. Clueless

I liked the film when it first came out.  Seeing it now, I found it to be completely vain and couldn't really relate to many of the characters.  The only one I found to be interesting was Paul Rudd.  Why is Alicia Silverstone still doing talk shows when she doesn't have a career?

5. The Upside of Anger

I still think it's a decent film that had a very bad ending.  I liked the film at first but was confused by the ending when I first saw the film.  When I see it now.  It really took me away from the film altogether.

"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

kypade

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:35:41 PM »
I'm terrible at things like this. I just don't remember. I'd have to go digging through lists and stuff, and that's no fun. The one that instantly comes to mind, though, is Persona... I was pretty underwhelmed on first viewing...not really hate, or even dislike, but just a major case of 'meh.' On my second view, I liked it a lot more, and on my third try I fell in love (coincidentally, or not, the first time seeing it on a 'big screen').

love