Author Topic: Top 5 Movies You Fell In/Out of Love With (aka Reconsiderations)  (Read 20861 times)

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
Re: Top 5 Movies You Fell In/Out of Love With
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2007, 12:33:25 PM »
That's a bit much...

Rene A. Moncivais

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2007, 12:37:35 PM »
All of these type of toys are expensive.

Back on track now, I liked Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and now I hate them with a passion.
"What about Oliver Stone?"

"Ummm, send him meat."

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2007, 03:08:19 AM »

Back on track now, I liked Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and now I hate them with a passion.

I hate all of those films also, but I always have. I have not liked a single film that guy has done!
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 03:21:23 PM »

I hate all of those films also, but I always have. I have not liked a single film that guy has done!

but, you're wrong.  sorry  :-\

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 04:26:04 PM »
When I saw Amadeus for the first time I loved it. I cried my eyes out at the end, and it became one of my number one priorities to sing his Requiem one day. Since then, I have not only sung the Requiem but a couple of other things he wrote as well. When I then decided to revisit Amadeus, I couldn't help but notice how predictably and manipulatively the music was used - at least it felt to me that way. It marred the whole experience of the film for me - maybe hate would be too strong a word, but I am quite sure I'll never watch the film again.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 05:00:51 PM by Emiliana »

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2007, 04:59:01 PM »
When I saw Amadeus for the first time I loved it. I cried my eyes out at the end, and it became one of my number one priorities to sing his Requiem one day. Since then, I have not only sung the Requiem but a couple of other things he wrote as well. When I then decided to revisit Amadeus, I couldn't help but notice how predictably and manipulatively the music was used - at least it felt to me that way. It marred the whole experience of the film for me - maybe hate would be to strong a word, but I am quite sure I'll never watch the film again.

Interesting - I think still I love the film, but then, I have not seen it for a very long time. It's depressing to think I might hate it now.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2007, 09:39:46 PM »
Movie magic is a delicate thing. You love a movie, it sparks your interest in something which you pursue, you become educated on the topic, and finally you return to the source of the inspiration only to realize the magic is gone. And what fun is it to watch a magic trick when you know how it's done. On the flip side, if you still love a film despite 'knowing better', is that what makes the great ones great? Personally, I say nay. A movie is neither good nor bad in and of itself, only enjoyed or disliked (except Sexy Beast, that movie was crap).

Ideally, I like to go into a movie with as little foreknowledge as possible. In a perfect world unlabeled dvds would be slipped under my door, and somehow they would be the kind of dvd that doesn't give away the whole movie in the menu screen but rather it would just start. The first thing I want to see is the Copyright disclaimer screen, so I know I have 20 seconds to go grab the cup of coffee I left in the kitchen and then the movie begins. [/thinking out loud]

edit: This is the reason I tend to just skim the forums. Also I generally don't much like discussing movies I enjoyed, because.... well, selfish though it may be, I don't want anyone taking a piece of magic out of a movie I like. I have no qualms about having to remain ignorant to enjoy some movies. Bad movies though, I'll tear down what I think needs tearing down.  :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:51:09 PM by smirnoff »

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2007, 09:45:44 PM »
A movie is neither good nor bad in and of itself, only enjoyed or disliked

Fighting words, my friend, fighting words. No way.

(except Sexy Beast, that movie was crap).

I really like this piece of analysis here.  :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 10:13:03 PM »
Quote from: oneaprilday
Fighting words, my friend, fighting words. No way.

*draws a line in the sand* ;)

Movies are like a funhouse mirror. Soulless and exaggerative, but a reflection nonetheless.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2007, 11:30:14 AM »
3. The Sixth Sense - Loved it, but you just can't watch it again.

You crazy. Yes watching it for the first time is an incredible experience, but repeat viewings is the only way to realize why that ending is so perfect.  It's certainly surprising, but moreso inevitable - especially given the way Shyamalan shoots the "I see dead people" scene.  I enjoyed more the second and third times.
A$AP Fables