Author Topic: Top 5 Movies You Fell In/Out of Love With (aka Reconsiderations)  (Read 20862 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: Top 5 Movies You Fell In/Out of Love With
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:17:44 AM »
Hated to Liked

1.Do the Right Thing:  Saw it and found it incredibly offensive and mean spirited.  Saw it again and was blown away, it was like watching a completely different film, one that was sympathetic, mature, and textured. 

2.The Truman Show:  Saw it and hated it.  THen saw it again after a friend pretty much begged me to give a second chance.  Astonishing.  One of the finest films of the 90s.

3.That Thing You Do!:  Found it trite.  But the second time I saw it for the masterpiece it is.

4.Joe Vs. The Volcano:  I don't think I gave it a fair shake the first time I watched it anyway, so I watched it again with a group of friends to find it really endearing, a real under appreciated gem.

5.Mission Impossible 3:  I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it.  Upon a second viewing I was completely turned.  Great film.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 10:25:32 AM »
5.Mission Impossible 3:  I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it.  Upon a second viewing I was completely turned.  Great film.

On a tangential note, I hate how people physically can't like anything Tom Cruise is in after he went crazy. I am not much of a fan of his as a person, but he was in two good to great movies after his freakout that don't get the respect they should because "Tom is crazy". War of the Worlds is great ('cept the end...) and M:I:III is an excellent action flick.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 10:28:38 AM »
War of the Worlds is not great.  It's got a few good moments but features some of Spielber's worst work as well as Kaminski's worst work.  Bad film.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 10:33:56 AM »
War of the Worlds is not great.  It's got a few good moments but features some of Spielber's worst work as well as Kaminski's worst work.  Bad film.

Well I liked it. It was sufficiently tense.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 10:35:36 AM »
I liked it too.
A$AP Fables

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 10:54:38 AM »
I don't think I hated the film (though I guess it's likely), but the interminable sequence in Tim Robbins' house pretty much derailed any tension the film had for me.  The invading aliens served as compelling enough antagonists, for me.  Why, oh why, did the filmmakers think, nah, not interesting enough; let's ignore those aliens for a full twenty minutes and focus on a creepy, vaguely pedophiliac human antagonist instead.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 12:13:21 PM »

I thought I liked it until I got to the end, which really ruined any good feelings I had about the movie and made me hate it more than I can express... :)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 12:15:09 PM »

I thought I liked it until I got to the end, which really ruined any good feelings I had about the movie and made me hate it more than I can express... :)

There is a very easy solution to that problem. Turn off the DVD before that chapter starts. TA DA. No crappy ending.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 12:19:27 PM »

There is a very easy solution to that problem. Turn off the DVD before that chapter starts. TA DA. No crappy ending.

it can't be un-watched... it is forever seared into my brain.  however, I still like the beginning because they filmed it in Bayonne.

Rene A. Moncivais

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 12:21:36 PM »
I liked War of the Worlds too, and I don't have a problem with the ending.  I also am typing this in an insane asylum.
"What about Oliver Stone?"

"Ummm, send him meat."