Author Topic: Top 5 Favorite Moments from Your Favorite Films Ever...  (Read 10273 times)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
Top 5 Favorite Moments from Your Favorite Films Ever...
« on: November 18, 2007, 09:01:06 PM »
Now I know everyone here has a favorite film of all-time and whenever a certain scene is on from that favorite movie.  It has to be watched.  Even if you're not watching the movie in its entirety.  Here's my list.

1. Lost in Translation-I would say the scene where Bob and Charlotte are driving back to their hotel on a cab with shots looking over to the bridges and then to Tokyo with Charlotte looking at the city and then at Bob, sleeping finally, and then her sleeping as Bob carries her to her hotel room.  Very romantic and beautiful, especially to the music of My Bloody Valentine.

2. Secretary-The scene where Lee Holloway is trying to get Mr. E. Edward Grey to punish her while he's talking on the phone and then he catches her licking the envelope seductively and then tells her, "I'm trying to work here" as she is just flustered and ends the scene with the word, "overwhelmed". 

3. Boogie Nights-The scene where Dirk Diggler sings "You Got The Touch" out of key and as if it couldn't get any funnier.  Reed Rothchild does the running man while singing along.  It's my favorite moment by John C. Reilly

4. Rushmore-The sequence of Max Fischer's extracurricular activities after Guggenheim says "He's one of the worst students we've got". 

5. Safe-The scene where Carol White is driving behind a truck that is chugging smoke of its car as she is suddenly coughing violently and then drives to a parking lot and stops as she is coughing unstoppingly.  One of the film's most eerie moments. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: Top 5 Favorite Moments from Your Favorite Films Ever...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 09:08:27 PM »
I'll refrain until the thread gets moved into spoiler-friendly territory.

Solid list void (though I have yet to see Boogie Nights).  I thought about letting you know that I rediscovered the wonderfulness that is "Closer" today - great track - I think I'm gonna use it on a mix I am currently working on:)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 09:22:27 PM »
1. So I Married an Axe Murderer-
Stuart Mackenzie: Look at the size of that boy's heed.
Tony Giardino: Shhh!
Stuart Mackenzie: I'm not kidding, it's like an orange on a toothpick.
Tony Giardino: Shhh, you're going to give the boy a complex.
Stuart Mackenzie: Well, that's a huge noggin. That's a virtual planetoid.
Tony Giardino: Shh!
Stuart Mackenzie: Has it's own weather system.
Tony Giardino: Sh, sh, shh.
Stuart Mackenzie: HEAD! MOVE!
Stuart Mackenzie: I'm not kidding, that boy's head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Now that was offsides, wasn't it? He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow.

2. Poltergeist-
Diane: She just moved through me. My God. I felt her. I can smell her. It's her. It's her. Smell my clothes. It's her. She's all over me. It's her. She's on me. It's her. I felt her. It's her. It is. It's... it is... it's my baby. It's my baby. She went through my soul.

3. The Thin Man-
Nora Charles: How many drinks have you had?
Nick Charles: This will make six Martinis.
Nora Charles: [to the waiter] All right. Will you bring me five more Martinis, Leo? Line them right up here.

4. Meet Me in St. Louis- I can't remember what is said, but John Truett and Esther Smith are standing under a tree in the cold night, after the Christmas party. Esther is wearing a sparkling scarf. The two are trying to decide what to do seeing that Esther and her family are preparing to move to New York. I love it.

5. Sixteen Candles- When Jake and Samantha kiss over the birthday cake.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 09:42:14 PM »
-- now with mild edit for less spoilage --

5 - Before Sunset - The End  happy-:'(

4 - Shortbus - When The Mayor is talking about New Yorkers as permeable and New York as a place to be forgiven and Ceth kisses him.   :'(

3 - Au hasard Balthazar - The End   :'(

2 - The Elephant Man - "I am not an animal!  I am not an animal!  I am a human being.  I am a man."   :'(
- and -
The Elephant Man - Bedtime scene   :'(

1 - Umberto D - The End  :'(

I don't even feel like I'll have much regret with excluding other moments from this list :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:09:36 AM by skjerva »
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 09:53:34 PM »
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles - When Jeanne leaves the lid of the dish on the dining room table.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 09:54:37 PM »
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles - When Jeanne leaves the lid of the dish on the dining room table.

Watching that on 16mm on Tuesday, can't wait

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 09:56:01 PM »
I know it's in the Spoiler section, but since this thread isn't limitied to any single movie, maybe it'd still be good to blackout any major spoilers.

pixote
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 10:06:05 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 09:57:39 PM »
Bah.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 10:40:08 PM »
Bah.

bah fo shizzle!  pixote, you gotta pay to play

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 12:45:25 AM »
5. Pan's Labyrinth: the last two scenes are breathtaking and happy in a sad way.

4. Jurassic Park: Don't look now, but there is a big-ass T-Rex about to eat your car.

3. Sunshine: Capa looks into the sun.

2. Kill Bill: The Bride fights Elle Driver.

1. The Shining: Jack kills Dick.

Wow. I like death. That sucks. As always, these are subject to change.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”