Author Topic: The Recipe Box  (Read 59792 times)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
Re: The Recipe Box
« Reply #360 on: August 12, 2016, 04:00:52 AM »
How do people cook their rice? I love rice but I'm usually pretty crappy at cooking it. I tried cooking it in the steamer for the first time last night and it came out fine but a little wet/soggy. I'm going to try less water this time.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #361 on: August 12, 2016, 04:37:10 AM »
In a dish like Jambalaya I add the rice straight to the stew and let it drink up the liquid. Tastes better than boiling in water.

One if my favourite dishes is risotto. Sweat shallots and garlic in butter to soften. Add the rice and coat it in the yummy mix. Turn up the heat and add white wine. When it bubbles take it off the heat and let the rice soak up the liquid (there's a theme there). You can save the mix for later at that point. Then add stock until the rice is the right texture. I add asparagus and prawns and cook in a fish stock. I make it extra creamy by adding ....cream  ;D .

Now I'm hungry.  ;D

That risotto technque can be used in all sorts of ways; spicy tomato sauce that you add rice to. I think the idea is liquid isn't just water.

Oh and if it's rice boiled in water then only put in as much water as will be soaked up by the amount of rice. So when the rice is ready there shouldn't be any water in the pot.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:38:49 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #362 on: August 12, 2016, 05:57:04 AM »
Changing the ratio from 1.5w/1r to 1.1 definitely improved the rice. Everywhere i read said to add extra water but it works better for me to have equal amounts. I think I'll try with some basmati or jasmine rice next time rather than long grain.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #363 on: August 12, 2016, 06:50:14 AM »
My dad was a rice farmer in TX.  Here is the family cooking method.

Start with 2C cold water and  1C long grain rice.  Bring to a boil.  Cover, turn down to low, and cook for 20 min.

I never had a potato until I left home for university.  We cooked rice every night of my life until then.  We had a  100 pound bag of rice in our pantry all my life.  This method never fails.
Texan Down Under

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #364 on: August 12, 2016, 06:53:38 AM »
I just use a rice steamer.  I don't ever measure the water or rice but probably do slight more water than rice.  But I usually rinse the rice before hand, usually fill it with water 2 or 3 times and stir the rice and drain to the water is mostly clear.  Afterwards, can let the rice sit in cold water for 10 to 20 mins.  At least that was how I was taught by somebody that knows much better than I. 

The other thing about using a rice cooker I suggest is to give it more time.  Don't take the rice as soon as it flips from "Cooking" to "Warming."  I usually leave it at least another 20 to 30 mins after it flips and it always come out much better.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #365 on: August 12, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »
I also have a tiger rice cooker and use it constantly, whether for porridge or rice. But my favorite rice preparation is green rice. I'm sure there's a thousand variations of this, but you slice thin the whites & light green parts of some scallions, sautee them in a little olive oil, then throw that in the bottom of the rice cooker. On top of that, add the rice (long-grain basmati or jasmine) and water. After it's cooked, stir in the tops of the scallions and a cup of other chopped herbs (mint, cilantro, basil, &tc). This is so fresh and a great way to add some life to a basic rice and protein meal or to use up leftover herbs.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #366 on: August 12, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »
It's not how you cook the the rice, it's how you eat it that's important. I prefer this method ;D

Play It Again Sam - Rice Eating Scene

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:47:58 AM by Monty »

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #367 on: August 12, 2016, 10:51:51 PM »
I just use a rice steamer.  I don't ever measure the water or rice but probably do slight more water than rice.  But I usually rinse the rice before hand, usually fill it with water 2 or 3 times and stir the rice and drain to the water is mostly clear.  Afterwards, can let the rice sit in cold water for 10 to 20 mins.  At least that was how I was taught by somebody that knows much better than I. 

The other thing about using a rice cooker I suggest is to give it more time.  Don't take the rice as soon as it flips from "Cooking" to "Warming."  I usually leave it at least another 20 to 30 mins after it flips and it always come out much better.

I'm going to clean the rice next time. I think that will make it just the way i want it.

Do you reheat it after waiting half an hour?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #368 on: August 12, 2016, 11:09:43 PM »
Just leave it in the cooker which keeps it warm and will dry it out a bit. Never take out when it just flips off or to warmer
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #369 on: August 20, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »
Cooking rice in Colorado up where I live (7100 ft elevation) stinks because the water boils at such a lower temperature.  It always turns out mushy or undercooked.  I'd like to think that I'm an expert home cook, and cooking rice in Colorado has been my big culinary challenge. It turns out fine most the time, but I want nice fluffy rice, and that rarely  happens. I just bought an Instant Pot, and I'm going to try it in that.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

love