Author Topic: The Recipe Box  (Read 59797 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: The Recipe Box
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 11:30:40 PM »
Rereading your post I noticed I didn't add the sugar, it should go in with the burbon and cognac.

Good to know - thanks!

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 06:35:02 AM »
Please use pasteurized eggs; otherwise, have your affairs in order...
Texan Down Under

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 06:50:27 PM »
Please use pasteurized eggs; otherwise, have your affairs in order...

I've felt much less paranoid about raw eggs since I read this in my How to Cook Everything cookbook:

"Recent statistics indicate that a small number of eggs (about one in ten thousand, or fewer may contain the salmonella bacteria. If this bacteria multiplies - unlikely in refrigerated, uncracked eggs - and you eat the egg raw or undercooked (as you would in many eggs cooked for breakfast), you might become ill, suffering intestinal problems that are as bad as the flu. The very young, very old, or those with compromised immune systems may have even worse problems and should avoid raw or undercooked eggs. But the general population should consider eggs safe, and eat them without fear, especially if they've been handled properly."

When I use raw eggs, I make sure they're uncracked, I wash them with soap, and sometimes even dip them for a few seconds in boiling water.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 06:59:52 PM »
Maybe wash the eggs with vinegar?

What Does It Take to Clean Fresh Food?
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 07:03:19 PM »
Salmonella is inside the eggs, the eggs are infected before the shell forms.  So washing them wouldn't prevent infection, but parboiling them might.  Anyway, Salmonella infections are quite rare now, especially in pasteurized eggs.  I've eaten enough cookie dough and cake batter to attest to that. :D
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 07:15:30 PM »
Salmonella is inside the eggs, the eggs are infected before the shell forms.  So washing them wouldn't prevent infection, but parboiling them might.  Anyway, Salmonella infections are quite rare now, especially in pasteurized eggs.  I've eaten enough cookie dough and cake batter to attest to that. :D

I wondered about that - guess my washing was for purely psychological benefit.  :)

So are all eggs in grocery stores pasteurized now? Or is there a special label?

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 07:19:53 PM »
You can easily find pasteurized eggs. However, not all eggs from all producers are available as pasteurized.  In my area eggs that are processed for safety are marked with a stamp on the shell.

Salmonella is so debilitating.  I'd never use a raw egg that wasn't pasteurized. 

PS.  CDC recommends pasteurized eggs or totally avoiding raw eggs.
Texan Down Under

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 07:41:48 PM »
while I agree with using pasteurized eggs the rate of infection are seriously lower than they used to be... less than 1 in 10000 (according to several sites although the bureau of epidemiology in utah reports 1 in 20000). The only way to be completely safe is not to touch raw eggs, but I have yet to give up my ceasar salad. You can minimize your risk by using undamaged eggs and limiting contact with the shells. While there are cases where the mother is the disease conduit the shell itself carries a large risk (CDC). Basically if you are old, young, or pregnant don't take the risk otherwise ...
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 05:22:42 PM »
I subscribe to the Hungry Girl newsletter and got this egg nog recipe today. (At Hungry Girl they create substitution recipes for favorite ones that are high in calories or fat.) They swear they've served it numerous times, and everyone loves it.  I intend to try it myself, but thought I'd pass along the recipe to you also.  Note: if you don't use rum, sub 1t rum extract.

Ingredients:
5 cups 8th Continent Light Vanilla Soymilk (or another light vanilla soymilk**)
1 small (4-serving) package Je ll-O Sugar Free Fat Free Instant Pudding mix, Vanilla
6 no-calorie sweetener packets (like Splenda)
5 oz. rum
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Directions:
In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend on high until mixed thoroughly. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow it to thicken. Makes five 1-cup servings!

153 calories per 1C serving
Texan Down Under

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 06:06:33 PM »

my mom would never let me eat the cookie dough when she was making the cookies.

luckily my friend's wife makes a lot of cookies and let's me eat cookie dough.  love that stuff.